Any tips for creating huge bass sounds on the Digitakt?

Yep, Digitakt. Not Digitone.

Does anyone have any experience in creating big bass sounds on the DT or OT sample engines? I’m talking big subs and 808 bass.

Would you use samples or single cycle waveforms? Can anyone provide any audio examples if they’ve created anything massive?

Just trying to push the Digitakt to its limits and see what it can do… and ease my GAS for a Digitone.

Thanks!

Just let the GAS flow… :yum:

I would love to, but I’m worried that the DN would make my new A4 obsolete. I’m trying to streamline my setup.

I use a sample from the 0-coast I used to possess for sub bass. Just the simple triangle wave (not single cycle) with some LP filtering. It’s nice and deep! Every song on this project uses it:

4 Likes

Well now I want a 0-coast!

Sounds dope though, I’ll mess around with my BS2 tonight and try to get a decent triangle wave sample.

1 Like

I did end up selling my 0-coast, but it was really cool! I just got tired of patching. I like to be able save patches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OTs filter with high resonance on anything that remotely resembles a bass sound never fails to get the windows shaking for me. Try sampling some sub bass single cycles, or look up adventure kid waveforms for monomachine. There’s a ton pre made ones tuned to C. You could set two tracks to the same midi channel and loop the midi back into itself and play them at the same time from DT, then you’ll be able to detune oscillators, that’ll help make DT a bit more synth like

1 Like

I got some serious bass on OT the other day by turning the Q of the filter to just affect base, raising the Q, and then gently raising the base until the Q was affecting the right frequencies…

@Open_Mike Yeah man, if you put the resonance to affect both HP and LP you can use width to find the harmonic too. Would be nice if we could move the resonance independently for hp/lp

1 Like

I’m usually not laking bass in any way. I was just fiddling with things and came across that the other day, I had width all the way up so turned Q off for that, I’ll try with both just for fun!

My Rytm seems to be a bass monster, I high pass the whole signal with the OT… :joy:
Probably need to fine tune some kits…

I’ve played a lot of guitar gigs but not too many of my solo looping project. The one time I did play a pretty good opening gig through a Funktion-One, I had like 10 times the bass I had at home, it was insane!
I tried to tame it but was still absolutely massive, I was definitely thrown off by it but people liked it when I asked afterwords…

Got to make sure that doesn’t happen next time…
If y’all have any chance of playing through a proper pa with big sub action, even just for testing it out, you might be surprised how much bass you actually have going on… :smile:

1 Like

use a midi track to trigger a bass synth (preferably a moog monosynth), and sample that. use resonant highpass filter on DT, run it into a console channel, boost the bass on the eq.

I get ridiculous bass when I use the HPF with a lot of resonance and the peak at 30hz or whatever. So single-cycles without too much HF presence (modified sines are good) are useful (since you only get one filter on the DT).

1 Like