Any reason to get the +FX over the MK2?

This might sound silly but the yellow OLED inspires me more, and that’s something I hold dear.

I don’t want effects. I am looking for something to warm up a poly synth that I think needs it. I have experience with the MK2 and I know it works nicely for this purpose.

Should I grab a new MK2 before they disappear or are there added benefits to the +FX over the MK2?

Thanks.

The MKII has a better UI (few pages and so a more direct access to everything) and I think it’s the only pro over the +FX.
Even if you only use the analog parts, +FX has 2 more LFOs (so 3 in total) and the third can modulate enveloppe parameters. There is also a pretty good analog gate which doesn’t exist on MKII.

4 Likes

The +FX.

4 Likes

I’d actually recommend holding out on the MK2? Unless you’re really attached to buying new.

The consumer market won’t see the MK2 as having more value because of the +FX, more likely less.

I don’t see the notion of a swarm of people rushing to get “the classic MK2 sound” with the introduction of the +FX either.

More than likely there should be increasing price drops on the Mk2.

2 Likes

Depending what you mean by “warming up” you might find the compressor, warble, noise, etc in the FX useful. (I’ve got one on order, don’t have direct experience with the FX section.)

Because of the specific use case of the unit, what polysynth are you actually looking to warm up? I ask because I have a MK2 warming up a Virus and that system hits exactly what it needs to without craving the FX. I run a Blofeld through the +FX version though and I’d lose a lot of mileage out of that system to just use the MK2.

2 Likes

It’s a Korg Modwave which incidentally I believe has a lot of similarities to the Access Virus, especially in this demo:

The effects on this synth are pretty good I feel but it could stand to benefit from a little saturation.

This is one of the best synth demos I’ve heard period.

2 Likes