Any Mac M1 users using this OWC device as a hub?

I currently am using a USB - Thunderbolt adapter for my A4’s usb cable straight into my MacBook Pro M1. It works incredibly well with no issues.

Of course to do this I really don’t have a hub for my gear so its a lot of connecting and disconnecting stuff since I only have 3 TB ports and 1 has an external HD that is always connected.

So I saw this and was thinking I would just buy USB to thunderbolt adapters and plug them in - Elektron gear included. Does anyone have this hub and use it with overbridge on an M1/Monterey system?

I’ve been using this CalDigit TS3+ hub. Looks similar. It’s nice because everything gets hooked up into that and only one cable connects to the computer for power and data.

http://shop.caldigit.com/us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=170

1 Like

me too. have had it for years. super solid. even had a firmware update at some point that was easy to do.

i’ve read good things about the OWC hubs too. i think some positive posts on gearspace about them.

1 Like

Awesome. I think I will start with an Overhub and apple USB-TB adapter just to see if that will cover me. If not I will try one of these hubs.

Have been using this exact hub with my M1 since January. Works perfectly. My only complaint is the power adapter is pretty large and somewhat cumbersome. Takes ups a good deal of space. Other than that it does the job. Running two external SSD drives and my Digitakt through the hub, Overbridge works fine.

1 Like

Yes I use this with my M1 mbp. Just played a live set with the hub and connected: heat, digitone and digitakt all over usb with overbridge in Ableton. One stereo pair out of heat to the mixer. No issues, and it is my main usb connection in the studio. Also, the power supply is a little big, can confirm.

2 Likes

Damn what a cool setup. So the heat can take multiple inputs? Do you just use it for color or are you using the filter during your set as well?

I’m using Ableton to mix and for effects and heat is on the master. In the set I was just using the high pass filter to add some enhancement to the kick, but it was on a preset I made with the enhancement circuit that just makes everything sound magically better.

2 Likes

Sonnet Tech make great stuff for pros too.

1 Like

I have the CalDigit3+, and I have an Overhub plugged into that. My USB has never been more reliable.

1 Like

I’ve been using OWC’s Thunderbolt Dock, which is a slightly different model with an M1 Max and it’s solid.

1 Like

Can u please specify which hub you are using? Thank you.

Which hub are you referring to? Thanks!

Yes, I use this OWC hub with an M1/Monterey MacBook Pro. I got the hub because I was having some clicking and glitching issues with my overbridge gear. It’s a nice hub but it didn’t seem to improve the issues - what did seem to improve the issue was getting a bunch of nice usb-c to usb-a cables. The issues has not disappeared but is much improved.

They seem to work about the same whether they are plugged directly into the MacBook, into the hub, or into another hub. Obviously the hub gives me more connectivity and generally works fine. Not sure if it was worth the price for me personally. I’m definitely not the most technical person so I couldn’t give you benchmark comparisons or anything.

OWC Hub

Did u end up getting the Elektron Overhub with apple thunderbolt to USB adapter? How is it working so far? Any clicking/glitching issues with your overbridge gear?

Are you using Ableton? I’ve noticed the same but it goes away if I completely shut down safari.

Interesting. I’ll give that a try. I have had the issue with Bitwig and Ableton. (and honestly, it was persistent enough that I’ve just moved away from using overbridge (I’m using an ARmk2 and an A4 mostly). Pre-M1, overbridge worked almost totally fine for me.

Works perfectly!