Any love for the DSI Mopho x4?

Tetra rocks.
i even wanted to buy a spare unit, but the prices gone crazy these days, so i ended buying Ambika instead.

2 Likes

What do you think a reasonable price is for a tetra these days?

1 Like

well, i bought mine 2 years ago for $500 (because i’m lucky).

these days sellers on ebay & reverb typically ask something around $900–1000, which is more than it used to cost new.

i did not mind to pay something like $700 for a mint condition unit … but then realized i can hunt it forever, and decided that assembled Ambika is better investment – 6 voices with individual outputs (vs 4), about the same (or even greater) amount of features / tweakable parameters, and cost me another $500 (because i’m still lucky).

2 Likes

Thank you for the response!

1 Like

Thanks! The rev2 looks like a very complete instrument, but your words reaffirm my feeling that the mopho x4 is actually the ideal synth for my setup!

1 Like

There are two for $750/760 on NYC Craigslist right now. [Edit: sorry, that’s for the Mopho, not the Tetr4.]

!? I got mine for 300 a year ago (tetr4 that is). Well used but works perfectly. But 700-1000? Cant believe, its not that great…

1 Like

Creating a patch directly on the Tetr4 is pretty torturous. My strategy was to create patches in the Soundtower software editor, map the four Assignable Parameter knobs and all the various performance controls, and then use the device standalone.

The only problem was that the Soundtower software constantly lost connection, froze the Tetr4 and had some other bugs that corrupted patches, so even creating a patch to use standalone was often a massive hassle.

The Rev2 is very fluid by comparison: there are dedicated controls for most parameters, and there are shortcuts for creating a lot of mapping, such as holding an LFO button and then moving the control you wish to modulate – same shortcut applies to the Source and Destination buttons for a lot of Mod Matrix mappings.

Oof. I missed a trick there.

If the X4 had the Tetra’s multi-timbrality, with all those extra knobs, it would be the bee’s knees.

1 Like

X4’s are pretty rad for dub techno stabs.

I wish there were more 44 key synths. Goldilocks zone for me. 37 feels so much more restrictive, for some reason.

2 Likes

Agree! The form factor is perfect: just big enough to play, but small enough to fit anywhere and even travel with.

1 Like

How are you getting on with it now?
Any recordings to share?

1 Like

I love the mopho x4! The modulation depth make it very inspiring to turn it on… I recently downloaded a ‘Boc inspired’ collection of patches for the p8 which also run on the x4. It’s great for this kind of weird nostalgic sound with an edge to it.

I already posted this in the hiphop thread but bass and chords (Which come in after the piano part) on this one are all mopho:

This is really off-topic, but I loved the live set you shared: Eelke Kleijn live at Mont Saint-Michel in Manche, France for Cercle - YouTube

And wanted to share this beautiful one in return: ETCHED 003 巡感 - Wata Igarashi (Live Set) / Yatsugatake , Japan - YouTube

1 Like

I really love this mopho x4! It’s my first analog synth and it’s still with me. It has balls in sound, especially with adding a little bit of feedback that sounds pretty good. And there was a moment when i bought tetra to make it chained to Mopho and found that Tetra’s feedback works different and doesn’t sounds as good as on Mophox4) and of course - its modulation possibilities shines everything around) i use Mophox4 a lot.

2 Likes

Great to hear, same here! Just used it for another beat… it has a perfect balance between sounding ballsy like a mono, and kind of nostalgic, drifty and full as a polysynth. I guess the feedback does wonders indeed

1 Like

I really like the X4, I upgraded from Mopho Desktop and have dreams of Rev2 but lately I feel like X4 is ideal.

I’ve recently started building new Init patches based on this Voice Component Modeling technique and it feels like a whole new instrument :wink:

The tutorial in the link is on Rev2 but the modulation can be recreated with X4

4 Likes

This seems odd to me and makes me wonder if one of your units needs calibrating, as the feedback on my Mopho x4 and Tetra behave and sound identical

Hmm. I calibrated them, but anyway, they sounded little different to my ears. Tetra added little bit of buzzinness while Mopho more body.

1 Like