Any late jumpers into Polyend Tracker after its price drop?

I have never payed much attention to the Polyend Tracker, mainly for its price range from what it was giving, but now that it is less than 400€ brand new, It is really tempting…

I was wondering then How can this tracker play along with the different Elektron machines as an external sequencer, or even How it can be use as a tracker and sampler using Elektron machines as sound sources?

Anyone on the same boat right now?

1 Like

You could ask in the Polyend Tracker thread.

10 Likes

I am aware of that, thanks, I just created a new one as my question is a bit more specific :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lots of answers to the questions “how does it play with different Elektron machines as a sequencer” and “how can it use Elektron machines as a sound sources” over there, but you do you.

11 Likes

I’ll check those two lines, thanks!

I am asking myself if this would drive you to make more breakbeat type of sounds, and if it would be actually fun. Yoitube isnt specifically full of good videos showcasing its usecase imho.

1 Like

Heard of a lot of people having to return theirs due to buggy, oversensitive encoders. Buyer beware. Seems weird that they’ve dropped the price so low and also said it’s not being discontinued.

4 Likes

My two trackers works perfect. I think that for me it’s the best standalone machine for make music. It’s like see through a microscope all the details of a song. You can make awesome music with only 2 minutes of sampling, it’s enough.

Ive collected a lot of synths and machines all this years and if I’d need to keep one would be the Polyend tracker. (And Digitone).;Tracker is amazing.

I don’t use it with my Digitone because:

• Tracker doesn’t receive midi program changes
  • Digitone receives program changes but in a weird manner, with lag… It’s a known problem

I’d say that you don’t need any other machine to make music. And if you want, you can send midi to external synths

3 Likes

I had one of the earlier ones shortly after their first launch, but the software wasn’t “ready” imo back then, looking over the forums and discord, things seem to be mostly resolved now, so I’ve put in a Sweetwater order for another (hopefully will be lighter and less cold on my legs when wearing shorts than my old one!, which had an all metal body, I hear the later models are polycarbonate with just the top plate being metal now).

I also want to add .pti import/export to DigiChain, and kind of need the hardware to test on - well that’s my other excuse for buying it again anyways!! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Indeed, but I rather checking user manual first. Then reading some reviews, and then jumping into YouTube, where most of stuff is jungle and similar :slight_smile:

I’m not interested in jungle, drum and bass, and so, but on the control per step you may have for controlling other synths and sequencing them, but deff interesting in its sound design capacities, that seems rather interesting :thinking:

Apparently lots of fixes where made and the updated they did where pretty cool since first released as far as I’m aware…

1 Like

Yes! That is one of my main reason for me to be looking into that, the possibility of sequencing other synths, plus the fact of having that microscopic control that you super accurately defined :slight_smile:

Regarding lagging and midi, I read it allows some latency compensation, does that solve it?

I’m also interested in the way it approaches music making, as it may make me think differently when approaching tracks making.

Hahahaha cool!

Definitely a great opportunity right now I guess :wink:

1 Like

That has to be one of the most irritating phrases, right up there with “it is what it is” :rofl:

18 Likes

No, but y’all need to buy them up so I don’t jump in :joy:

4 Likes

No price drop here in Australia,
Still 1099 AUD = roughly 650euro.

Are the euro shops just shifting stock with a sale on Trackers?

1 Like

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a used Tracker in good shape in the $400-425 range for a while now, so when I saw this deal pop up it was pretty tempting. I was initially under the impression that this discount was only available through Reverb, but when I realized I could buy one through Sweetwater, from whom I’ve been sitting on a $50 gift card, it was a no brainer.

RIP to the used Polyend Tracker market though.

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist when the initial Amazon link popped up here. Now I gotta figure out how it works! :crazy_face: Definitely a different experience than the Elektron or Push interfaces I’m most familiar with…

1 Like

I got one

I’ve only had it a few hours, but without reading the manual I’ve successfully:

• played the demo song
  • loaded and played some of the other songs that came with it
  • found and ran the NES emulator and one of the included homebrew games
  • found the samples
  • created a new project, loaded some of the included samples and set up some notes in a single column that made a basic rhythm.

I didn’t have Amigas or Ataris (other than the 2600) growing up, but I was around for '80s home computers. My professional life has been about computers, mostly in text mode.

My initial reaction to the Tracker is very positive. It feels good, the textured plastic brushed aluminum top panel feels pleasant to the touch, and the TPE bottom and sides feels thin enough that it should be easy enough to scrape off if it goes bad sometime in the future. The buttons and knobs feel good. I haven’t used the white buttons much, but they seem responsive and comfortable. I don’t yet know if they can handle finger drumming.

I could go on, but the manual is more authoritative and complete. My main observation is that this is a fun device to play with. Discovery is easy. It might be the inverse of an Octatrack in that regard, although the underlying architecture has significant differences.

6 Likes

Fascinating. I always enjoy a price drop find for something I’ve been considering.
I’ll have to read the other linked thread and maybe watch more videos/do some research to see if it’s for me. I feel like it might be, but unsure.

My use-case is:
I’m moving off-DAW for sequencing/composition entirely. Or more accurately, returning to off-DAW.

I write in a non-linear fashion generally, so I need a more linear sequencer than say, a step or pattern sequencer and I have loads of those (both standalone and on various devices).

I’m currently using a really old Roland XP-60, since it’s a 16-track linear/open-ended sequencer with a mostly-usable max number of notes and fairly high max measure count, so it works, and I’m familiar with it over 20+ years of having it now.

Song modes and chains of patterns don’t interest me; I don’t see the point of learning something I could already do on a DAW without learning something new. I want a set of tracks that play from start to finish just as I record them. OR: make the song/chain mode so mind-numbingly simple I can just do it without thinking about it very much.

I’ll read up more, and I think I found that the tracker, with proper settings, can be fairly open-ended.
This is a reasonable price for that use-case if so.

2 Likes