Any input level meter?

Hi!

Just got the octatrack a couple of days ago.
I am going in from my rme multiface which delivers a strong signal so that i am overdriving the input stage of the octatrack.
Obviously I can reduce the level until it sounds good but there would be room for mistakes either not using the full bit depth or overdriving just small portions.
So I was wondering if there is a meter to level the input.

The LEDs indicate the strength of the signal received on the external inputs.

Are the Audio LED’s the two diodes above the record button?
Maybe it is just me but they are fine to indicate that a signal is coming in (in case you don’t hear anything and are searching for the problem) but there is no way I could do a proper leveling with it. Guess I have to go by ear then :thinking:

Yes.

Level monitoring is practically ignored by elektron in OT for some reason. Total guesswork with gain staging through effects etc. Some of my early projects vary pretty drastically with each other in overall volume. You really have to keep an eye/ear on stuff and just hope for the best…

1 Like

This is one of those “features” of the OT that really differentiate it from a full DAW. I do think that having a digital readout of levels would help immensely, but I think the philosophy behind the OT is not one where perfection is to be achieved… rather its focus is on sound wizardry, particularly in a live situation.

I usually keep my inputs touching yellow, and reduce the internal samples to match.

1 Like

Practice recording samples while looking at the colors of the input leds. Check your sample waveform (zoom in) after recording to see exactly when clipping occurs - you’ll quickly get a feel for what the “right” input led colors should look like in order to get a clean, loud sample. Personally I find that the headroom on the OT is great. My leds are pretty much always amber + short red flashes on peaks, and my recorded samples are still clean with no clipping.

1 Like

Sneaky input level monitoring solution:

Open the control menu input section, adjust the db level of the noise gate…
Start with the gate at maximum setting, lower the gate until your audio disappears… This is your db level according to OT.
Adjust input source volume as necessary…
:okej:

9 Likes

Thanks! I have started to notice that some sounds (tones basically) have slight distortion when the LEDs are going yellow. I used to push to just below red but maybe I was never listening closely enough. Seems a pretty low record level…

2 Likes

I agree with this using just a preamp pedal with my guitar.

1 Like