Any hardware Physical Modeling Polysynths?

Nord?

1 Like

Mutable instruments’ rings

Aodyo Anyma Phi

5 Likes

The Yamaha VL1 and VL70-m.

3 Likes

I apologize. Slipped my attention – polysynth !

Neither that i mentioned are poly.

OK – The Haken EaganMatrix !

2 Likes

Haha, yea, I should have excluded that one. Costs a fortune!

The Anyma Phi has paraphony if nothing else! Or maybe I’m misremembering and they did actually release a firmware update containing polyphony. I should know, it’s one of my favorite contemporary hardware synths…

1 Like

It only has two audio buses, so you could configure it for two-voice polyphony. Otherwise, 3-voice paraphony.

2 Likes

That makes me sad. Sounds great. I don’t understand the idea of a digital synth not being fully polyphonic.

It’s many not one. So for instance the Haken EaganMatrix Module, is physical modeling polyphonic from MIDI. And sometime in the 23rd century, after World War Three, there will be the Osmose too.

1 Like

I think Aodyo hinted at some point that they were thinking of a poly version of the Anyma at some point? Alternately, I suppose you can always buy a stack of them and a midihub…

I’ve wanted to post this here for a while.

A good option for polyphonic physical modeling hardware is the Korg Prologue or Minilogue XD with the Physiq user oscillator from DirtBoxSynths.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And now we can add another, just teased, the new Anyma Omega from Aodyo. ( thread )

ADDED : The Anyma Omega gives a choice between a keyboard and a desktop unit. They are 16 voice 4 part multitimbral, and both give a ton of user configurable real time controls. The physical modeling sounds quite good in the videos shown so far.

4 Likes

Not very common, but the Technics SX-WSA1 from 1995.

1 Like

Not really polyphonic in the true sense but it has 8 voices: Qubit Surface eurorack module. Sounds really good but, alas, I bit limited on models.

Not hardware but the best PM synth to my ears is Kaivo by Madrona Labs

1 Like

Ok, you said “not”, but I just got a Z1, and I’m kicking myself for having waited 25 years (!). Enough said.

I also just got an Anyma Phi and waiting for the Anyma Omega. Different beasts though.

3 Likes

If paraphony is ok the Arturia MicroFreak has Karplus Strong and Modal Resonators. The Arturia MiniFreak presumably gets those to full polyphony.

On the software side there’s Rhizomatic Plasmonic, AAS Chromaphone, and Imoxplus Respiro (not sure on polyphony? only used it with a wind controller).

Korg Opsix can do some physical modeling, with the 2.0 update adding the effect operator with comb filter as one of the effects.

Prophet 12 tuned feedback - really cool as you can synthesize the exciter and FM the LPF/HPF waveshaper

Be interested to hear your take on the differences between the Phi vs Z1, in regards to sound definition and character (and models). Mostly love the Z1, but been tempted by the Phi.

2 Likes

Anyma Omega looks very interesting. I hope it comes to fruition.

If anyone wants physical modelling polysynth in hardware form there is Maschine+ with Prism loaded up. Kind of clunky but it is a solution, the presets sound great and with the onboard Raum reverb is sounds very nice.

I tried Waldorf Iridium and didn’t jive with it.

1 Like