Any good sources or methods for preparing field recording samples?

Binaural headphones are great, eat a crunchie from the fridge for the best beats ever!

2 Likes

Do you have recording of this we could check out? Always been intrigued by binaural micingā€¦

1 Like

Dude. That looks awesome. Hadnā€™t heard of those things before! Hella cool(Iā€™ve never used that expression before)

Iā€™d need to get a fake mannequin head to use those with. Iā€™ve been really wanting to experiment with behind audio panning

Sorry I donā€™t have anyway of getting the files online, I just about mastered posting in the forums!
But if you go to rob clouthā€™s soundcloud he has some recordings there, he is also known as Vaetxh who in my opinion is a genius with audio.

I recall him having quite a few binaural recordings on there.

The thing to remember with binaural headphones is that the ear of the person listening/recording shapes the sound, naturally as the sound hits the ear before the mic, and then the next personā€™s ears hear through their ears what the recorder heard through theirs!
Itā€™s a little fucked up if you think about it too much.

I will say though that binaural sounds so good, just let a drummer wear them for a session and you have that spread, same as piano, which incidentally Nord have recorded recently for their sound banks.
But start recording other sources, get imaginative and it really opens up another world.
Then you move on to swinging them around, moving your head whilst recording, record a long sound, maybe a gong and then move your head so the sound wraps around the listener.
There is so much fun to be had.
Bit tricky when itā€™s windy but then again, what isnā€™t?
A binaural sound really cuts through a mix too, that 3D spaciousness adds punctuation to a beat or an interesting sound morph.
I constantly layer these sounds into my samples, make that shit yours!

5 Likes

Youā€™re a brilliant beautiful man. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Yo do make the argument for getting binaurals sound extremely compelling! Iā€™d imagine using localization tricks and 192kHz to yield very fascinating sample material. Definetely need to look into this in the future.

I recall hearing about a studio engineer back in the very late 90s micā€™d a drum kit with binaural headphones hung on string directly above. He said heā€™d never had such great quality of sound with so little effort. It is reported that he never micā€™d up a drum kit again!

Honestly everyone should check them out.
They are scary at first when you record people you know having a conversation, listen back later and you cannot possibly help turning your head as if the people were in the room. Seriously this is no exaggeration.

I often thought of the implications of binaural recording playback for interrogation techniques, drugs and hypnosis would help too. If you can record it you can transport anyone there.
You want someone disoriented? Sleep deprivation and binaural playback.
You can be anyone.
You can be anywhere.
You can piggyback reality.
Environments.

1 Like

I canā€™t currently afford this thing youā€™re inspiring me to get! Ahhhh!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I used to ā€˜stealā€™ sounds from synths in shops with binaurals strapped on! With the background ambience the sounds were very interesting! So thatā€™s binaural recording of big can headphones in a shop, top notch!

Interestingly if you record with binaurals and a normal mono mic the same source you can cross fade the sounds together for special/spacial effects.
Record with both mics facing inwards also yields weird results, or one static and one spinning, itā€™s bloody mental!

2 Likes

And just like that, out of nowhereā€¦Iā€™m now gassing for a binaural mic. So thereā€™s the type you personally wear like headphones and then the dummy head kind. Have you tried both? Any brand recommendations?

2 Likes

i bought one of these a while ago.

http://tascam.com/product/im2/

i havent used it much , i recorded a plaid concert but have yet to find a good field.

1 Like

These below are my personal ones, Iā€™ve never looked at anything else since buying these in 2001. I bought the unpowered version as my minidisk recorder (!) had juice to power them.
Now I use them with a Tascam DR-1, between them both I have all my recording needs!

Found this for the UK
https://www.production-room.com/product-details/Soundman-OKM-II-Classic?gclid=CIamlMvt79ECFeKd7QodcyEGeA

Iā€™ve not looked at dummy heads although I have used a headphone holder head sculpture for fun a couple of times.
As for the mics I think I might check them out myself nowā€¦

2 Likes

These are nice little mics, if anyoneā€™s looking to record delicate/quiet sounds.
https://lom.audio/product-category/microphones/

2 Likes

We could all just go on this Sound Recording in Sweden excursion led by Chris Watson if it werenā€™t sold outā€¦ (I could imagine, being there, with my little DR-40, admitting Iā€™m not really a wildlife recorder, just a Chris Watson / Hafler Trio fanboy).

I miss my days of doing binaural recordings on my Minidisc recorder! I had some decent mics that could clip on. Theyā€™ve long since fallen apart but I have some lovely sounds around my old Virginia home and of a Netherlands trip from that eraā€¦

1 Like

Nice!
Was it Robin Rimbaud/Scanner who recorded peas defrosting?
I love synthetic sound but nature is the true synthesiser!
Iā€™m off to play with Clouds

3 Likes

Nice! Those old recordings must sound like magic snapshots of time.

If you donā€™t want to fork out for a binaural microphone, you can use software to process a regular recording. Both the binaural head and software have issues with front-back imaging due to it being based on an ā€œaverageā€ head, which will be different from your own.

Back in the day I did my final thesis in audio spatialisation, and as part of it took a bunch of regular recordings and composited them into a binaural soundscape in an attempt to induce vection. Thought you guys might be interested.

https://soundcloud.com/user-703807522/bicycle-simulator

Note: some people find the moving soundscape a little confusing due to the aforementioned imaging problems, but you get the idea. Also, it helps if you close your eyes and put your feet up.

2 Likes

Ah. Whereā€™s the fun in that?

BTW, once I get my binaural I might finally start more mic recordings.

Take a few recordings of a single insect and turn them into an attacking swarm!
Also, I believe revolving drums to be the most psychedelic fun you can have that doesnā€™t involve drugs.

Not saying forget about the mic thoughā€¦

1 Like

Hmmm. A swarm of insects without having to be near a swarm of insects(which I would not figure to be fun) does sound fun

Iā€™m sorry for doubting you

1 Like