Any good sources or methods for preparing field recording samples?

I just wanted to pop back in here to say that this is a very cool thread. Thanks for the ideas!

2 Likes

The people in this forum are amazing. It started out as technique advice, and then I became opened up to a whole new world of possibilities.

2 Likes

Let me quote Truth :tongue:

2 Likes

Not sure if its been mentioned but using a shotgun mic is really usefull.

get your haircut :wink:

1 Like

When it comes to processing field recordingsā€¦ I found I had most fun when I forgot about trying to preserve any sense of ā€œrealnessā€ in the field recordings, and just compressed them to bitsā€¦ bring up the volume of all the background noise / hiss / whatever, itā€™s beautiful nuanced sound that you canā€™t get from synthesizing, I donā€™t care what you say.

Alsoā€¦ I donā€™t know if you use software or anything, but a field recording is great to just put in a muted track, but use it as a modulator for your other tracks, for example using the Ableton Envelope Follower / Robert Henke LFO2 (which allows audio rate modulation), or indeed the Audio Mod in Bitwig, or whatever you are using. The unpredictability of the field recording can breathe life into your other tracks mmhmm

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood the use of a shot gun mics is it intended to get sounds from a distance?

Hmm. Iā€™ll have to give that a go. Is that like cross synthesis? Because Iā€™ve got that iPad app.

I donā€™t know if you would call it cross-synthesisā€¦ itā€™s more like modulation! You can use anything to modulate anything, with the right toolsā€¦ doesnā€™t always have to be LFOs woot woot

1 Like

I just listened to that Vaetxh and the virtual barber and I now have a massive headache and feel nauseous, as if I had motion sickness

Is there something in ableton to use a soundsource as a vocoder instrument? I read something about doing that some time and was interested in giving it a go.

Not really.

A shotgun microphone is designed to be highly directional: it will be much more sensitive to sound arriving from one particular direction than to sound arriving from other directions.

So, for example, you can better record the sound of that nice river in front of you with less of the background noise from the street behind you.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks! I will now add a shotgun mic to my list right next to the biaural headphones mics

1 Like

Capturing sound, time, to activate later is a beautiful thing.
There are universes to be found in milliseconds.

Been watching way too much Rick and Morty!
Wubbalubadubdub!

1 Like

If youre after a shotgun, I highly recommend the Rode NTG3 + blimp paired with a low noise preamp

(Had mine paired with a Fostex FR2LE, and got some really nice clean recordings of ambient spaces)

1 Like

Whoa! Thatā€™s a steep price for a microphone! I really appreciate the suggestion, but I think I might have to go with a Zoom clip-on Boom(or a ā€œZoom-Boomā€ if you will) until I either:
A. Determine field recording IS my ideal sound paint
Or
B. Get a really good job where I can afford such luxury.

But really, thank you!

Yah, good mics never are - although itā€™s still a helluva lot cheaper than the sennheiser Iā€™d been gassing for!

Ended up offloading mine because I found that out bush I didnā€™t want to stuff around with recording and just wanted to enjoy being in the moment; and in the city it makes you stick out like dogs balls. Still got my old h2n which is acceptable for stealth recordings in noisy environments

1 Like

Yeah, I look like a big creep walking around with my field recorder in downtown Chicago(Iā€™ve got the screw on handle, the xy, and the fur windscreenā€”I get lots of looks from people as I pass them. It kinda looks like a gun).

But, I pretty much AM a big creep so Iā€™m not TOO terribly troubled by it.

4 Likes

Get yourself a pair of New Rocks and people will assume youā€™re some sort of cosplayer

2 Likes

Any folk round these parts ever record with a hydrophone?
I mean a proper one, not a mic in a bag!

1 Like