Anti A4 GAS thread

Yeah, part of what interests me is using it a little like my modular, and with the modular for weird CV stuff like audio rate modulation. Though I fully expect it to be like my modular in that I never actually finish music on it.

2 Likes

First of all, you should get an A4 because it’s awesome and is really useful if you have some Eurorack
or semi-modular devices.

Anti-gas though…it’s kind of big and will take a lot of desk space, it has overlap with Syntakt, it has limited MIDI-sequencing functionality compared to newer Elektron devices, it’s not a character synth, you do need to menu-dive to get the most out of it, patching may be time-consuming because it is not full of sweet spots like a classic Roland synth for example, and the mini-keyboard is useful, but you’ll likely need to connect a midi controller to it if you want to go for more of a live, dynamic feel to your playing/sequencing.

The mini-keyboard is frustrating if you play in scales other than C.

3 Likes

The chorus is lame compared to the MNM or the OT one.
The song mode is lame compared to the MNM or the MD or the OT one.

I have to admit that when I considered replacing my digitone with analog four, your video comparing the workflow and features side by side inadvertently convinced me to stick with digitone until I’m at a point where I’m ready to field both boxes in my set up. It’s part of why I was able to accept that digitone was my “keep this synth” synth and A4 would be my “synth I would like to get” synth, not to trade one for the other.

Anyone who is unaware, the video in question is unbiased but very honest and illustrative of pros and cons of both units, with both boxes back to back, side by side.

Elektron Digitone vs Analog Four: Comparing Features and Workflow

Just an example of content creation at it’s finest and most useful, with no bullshit or shocked face thumbnails.

6 Likes

The sound of the A4 is very specific, I didn’t like it and after a year I gave up and sold it. Before I sold I watched probably every youtube video of the A4 and it only confirmed to me that it’s not for me. There is also a thread about it:

I finally sold my AK. It’s a great synth but the lack of voices kept bugging me.

I watched his video as well, but still, I bought the A4. And I’m still not sure whether I made the right decision :smiley:
But I didn’t sell the Digitone! I had same thoughts about replacing the Digitone with the A4. Good thing is, the used prices are pretty stable, so I might end up selling the A4 in the end. But yesterday I was able to conjure some really nice sounds with it.

Understanding that you need to raise the volume significantly if you use the low pass filter, changes a few things. But it’s really tedious! Not something you want in a groovebox.

3 Likes

I just took a listen, sounds pretty nice. Sometimes a pain in the ass is worth the trouble when results are good like that!

Which overdrive do you guys prefer, between digitone and A4? I know a4 mkI and mkII have a slightly different character from each other as well.

Yep, the A4 is very dynamic, but in a way that makes it tedious to work with. The fact that it’s analog doesn’t make it easier to make “”“analog”"" sounding patches on it.

It’s not an instant gratification synth, and I don’t say that in a condescending way. I’ve struggled with that a lot :stuck_out_tongue: .It can really be a chore if you have an “analog” sound in your head and are trying to make that sound on the A4.

Just a disclaimer though: all the negative things i’ve said about the A4 are my honest opinions about it, but I could write just as much or more about the positive things about it. But since this is an anti A4 GAS thread I’m holding back!

4 Likes

your extra quotes are giving me gas.

ok then instead of telling me which overdrive you like best, tell which one you like worst :sweat_smile:

DN, a4 mkI, a4 mkII

1 Like

It’s actually easier to make the Digitone sound analog. At least it’s predictable!

1 Like

I like DN’s per-voice overdrive the least. But I don’t treat it like an overdrive, I treat it more like a vague sound “enhancing” tool.

The master overdrive on the DN is really good! It really helps glue all the synths together, great for trip hop. It can also make high resonance bass sounds sound very acid-y, it’s awesome.

Oh, right. The A4 doesn’t have a master overdrive. This makes it hard to glue everything together (without running it through an external FX) like you can on the Digitone.

1 Like

nice digi promotion for the OP who has DN already, GAS AVERTED!

1 Like

As someone with an A4 that’s a bit underused for most of these reasons I’m considering trying to trade it for a Digitone which I always love the sound of when I hear it.

When I read these A4 threads with the ‘it takes a lot of work’ comments, it makes me feel weird!

I find the A4 to be one of the most instantaneous synths I have, and I love the sound of it… it’s my most used and favourite Elektron by far, and I have had them all.

Mine has worked its way into being crucial to my setup/music now… I couldn’t think of being without it.

Am I alone???

8 Likes

No, you’re just in the wrong thread.

Also, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we’re trying to put people off buying one, you’re not supposed to tell them how awesome it is.

6 Likes

I love the sound of it, but I’ve always had to spend a lot of time when making patches. It’s not necessarily an A4 thing, though. I love the DN’s sounds, but I have similar trouble finding just the right sweet spots there too. I just get there slightly quicker on the DN because there are fewer parameters to tweak and balance.

1 Like

None, and I would add more…

xD

Seriously, it may depend of your workflow. If I were you, besides making a new thread (that always can help clarifying), Ill take a look at the manual and see how it may help you or your music making and playing process… A read on manual will definetlly make a difference and you will realize if it can bring a lot to you or non. From my point of view, lots of people buying and selling stuff quickly saying the tool didnt fill their needs may be down to not reading the manual before purchasing, something im happy with, as then you have lots of second hand MINT condition boxes to purchased, cheaper :wink:

1 Like

For less than the price of a new A4 you could score a Nord G1 or a Nord G2 engine. But with either of those u might find one or two of the Elktrons u already have become redundant.