Another “is the OT for me?” thread

The OT is for you (if modular is ruled out). A Roland sampler might also be worth considering with live / Reaktor doing wild midi.

I avoid this by creating template projects for my current mood (“sampler”, “fx”) and have all the necessary settings ready to go.

2 Likes

@timeforest - If you’ve fallen into the trap of thinking about the OT then chances are you’re going to be dreaming of OT possibilities and watching YouTube videos until you actually get one. It’s happened to a few 'nauts over the years.

Might be shitty advice but I’d suggest doing what you can to get hold of one and seeing where you end up after a few months. You’ll either hate it or be intrigued (but baffled) enough to keep going where you’ll likely end up loving the thing.

I dunno why but I really don’t enjoy using samples ITB. I’ve got Live, Reaktor and a whole load of other vst’s but it just doesn’t do it for me when recording things. With Push, it should be a dream with how I approach sampling (mostly just recording radio/youtube/whatever, trim, slice/chop, away I go) but I just find it all a little dull ITB. But when I’m with the OT, it’s like being on a night out with that crazy mate of yours who drags you to the most random places but you end up having a blast.

Sometimes I think I should spend more time with Live and really force myself to learn to love its sampling options but when having fun with the OT, why bother?! Like @GirTheRobot says, once you find the niche that the OT occupies in your own flow - there’s “ah ha” moments aplenty.

3 Likes

I´m an almost noob OT user, 7 months more or less, and I´m getting more and more confortable when traslating ideas to its language.

In my case the first difficulty was to understand OT´s architecture and now I think muscle memory is becoming more and more important.

And I think it would be much easier when I get the speed of Stimming in this video :laughing: :

1 Like

Are you also bored with your Microwave XT, Peak, Analog Four, Analog Rytm, Digitone, and OP-1 combo? Not enough “chance and experimentation” or “happy accidents and unexpected results” from those instruments? (Again - genuine, open questions)

1 Like

Didnt read your post but OT is for you! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

certainly not, i’m a bit bored with sample manipulation itb and, more to the point, always looking to expand in ways that will be fruitful in my practice and enjoyable as education

this thread is also inspired by feeling like the peak is redundant and/or i don’t gel with it and considering possibly unloading it for the OT

If you like to learn- thats a good thing. There is a lot of learning to do with the OT. Happy accidents galore. Plenty of unhappy accidents for the first however long it takes you to figure how you want to use it. (for me, for some reason, live sampling was the hardest hurdleto get over) Sounds like you have a good pallet of equipment to feed it too. I mostly just use Reaktor for sample fodder, so you are ahead of the game.

3 Likes

I see the OT as almost a rites of passage type experience for the underground electronica producing enthusiast.

It’s been on my list for a number of years and one day I’ll give it a go learning curve be damned!

Second hand prices seem to hold up well, recent very used looking one on eBay for £700 +. So not a lot of risk on trying then selling on imho

1 Like

The learning curve isn’t as bad as people say–especially if you know the Elektron way. Stuff like copying and pasting pages, patterns, track settings, etc. is all handled the same. It just takes a few hours of diving into recording some stuff before you get a handle on how that all works.

My perspective now is that the learning ceiling is very, very high and you don’t know how far up it goes until you get over the initial curve.

3 Likes

@timeforest I think we’re in similar boats. My music is primarily textural/concrete as well. Having gotten cozy with the Digitakt over the last 5 weeks (and finding I like what I’ve learned about the Elektron workflow), I snagged a mint OT MkII at a pretty awesome price on Reverb today.

The sort of chance and experimentation you mention is a big part of what makes the OT attractive to me, too. I feel like the DT has given me a taste of that (with plocks, conditional trigs, etc), but it doesn’t seem like it approaches the degree of mangling that the OT is known for, which is what really gets me excited — starting with a few small ideas in terms of sounds and ending up in a totally crazy place.

Good luck on sorting your question out — I’ll let you know how it goes over here!

1 Like

Buy it, love it, keep it.

or…

Buy it, hate, sell it.

Either way, first you first have to buy it.

1 Like

We need a Sticky Octa thread for those looking for advice.
:face_with_monocle:

1 Like