Andrei Morant/Techno from mid-90s to early 00's

Hi all! Anyone here into Techno like this?:

2 Likes

yes back in the day used to play loads like this. Got tons of his 12" on Planet Rythm and its sister labels like Compound…

Awesome! Thanks for replying. I recently bought a Machinedrum, and I’m new to the forum and still fairly new to production, so I was looking for kindred spirits. If we share similar tastes, then I will watch out for your posts and read them with care (same goes for anyone else that responds).

Do you know anybody on the forum making this style of Techno? Or any other forums where people are into this style (regardless of equipment used)?

What other DJs/artists are you partial to?

Cheers,
Andy Mylko

H-town represent.

3 Likes

Yes, love it! I sample my washing machine for best results :smirk:

1 Like

You could check out my old playlist from a club I used to do during that era -

Theres be enuf sets in there for that older style of techno. Dean Rodell Live PA good.

1 Like

Also my partner in crime for this club has some good mixes -

While djing, I try to maintain a similar energy but with recent tracks (see there: https://www.mixcloud.com/jay-lagowle/stomphome2/ )

Nowadays techno is IMO too slow, too contemplative, too dull (or I’m just an old fart). There are exceptions of course.

2 Likes

Yeh, techno defo slowed down a bit from late 90s /2000s…but I still like it…espesh the heavier stuff these days…

I do like stuff like Blush Response, Ancient Methods, Ansome, etc.

1 Like

For sure…gotta love the newer overdriven kicks these days lol :wink:

1 Like

I find it curious that Discogs barely has any entries about Morant’s own label, Scope:

I wish there were more track IDs on his old mixes:
https://www.mixesdb.com/w/Category:Andrei_Morant

Yeah. I’m studying Morant’s older mixes, and he is all over the place with his parameters. He uses the hell out of his EQ and filters (I’m guessing about the filters part). I wonder what kind of FX he was using, or maybe a looper/samplers or something?

I was listening to a Frankie Bones mix from 1997 today and it sounded like he used some kind of sampler while DJing… or maybe he was “running” the records (like had a second copy playing that he would cut in with the fader or mute or kill switch or something, playing it like a sampler). It seems like Bones was partial to doing unconventional things with records (like playing them backwards with that upside down trick, etc.)

Thanks for posting the mix link… listening now.

Those days you used whatever you had at hand, lots of people used them pioneer mixers with built-in fx and filters so not much tricks there. Some filterbanks; vestax had them. Korgkaosspad has been around for ages. And lots more of course. If you check the dj gear sales there´s a lot of products now that were around then.
Listening to the mix in your first post, it´s not so much fiddling with FX as i thought; plain old mixing just, a lot of quick crossfader and mute action.
A lot of what sounds like tricks was actually built in in the tracks themselves.
I was dj-ing a lot those days aswell so i feel nostalgic about the style, but i´m a Swede myself and much of the stuff came from here. Never did play much of the Swedish stuff myself though, also i didn´t like to drive a Volvo - because everyone here does it, u know…

1 Like

Worth looking on Glenn Wilsons older labels Compound, Template etc…

2 Likes

Found this compound playlist whilst browsing too -

2 Likes

Yeah, Andrei makes some tough techno. Haven’t heard much from him lately, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yay! If I could heart your response more than once, I would, Shiva! We are so lucky to have an artist of your caliber on the list :slight_smile:

Could I ask a huge, annoying favor of you - can you ID any of the tracks on Andrei’s Red Rum mix that I posted at the top of the thread? The one at 14:00 with what sounds like Samba choir samples is a hot one for me, but any track, artist or label info from that mix would just make this the best birthday in memory (I’m not lying - today is my birthday, I can send you a redacted copy of my driver’s license to prove it, LOL).

Many thanks for the response, and any help you can offer!

I have most of these on wax but can’t remember all the track IDs. I did manage to remember 21:50 is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb991GiUtN0

2 Likes

<3 Gaetek

4 Likes