Analog series generates MIDI Clock with high jitter

MidiClk is a high precision MIDI Clock tester that runs on the MidiGAL device created by Peter Kvitek (see http://midisizer.com/midigal/ for more details).

In MIDI Clock Tester mode, MidiClk measures incoming MIDI Clock accuracy and stability. The clock accuracy is displayed as a BPM value. Stability is displayed as standard deviation expressed as a percentage of the average BPM value. Both values are sampled over a period of four beats (96 MIDI Clock messages).

I’ve used MidiGAL running MidiClk to test the MIDI Clock generated by my gear and I was disappointed with the results from my Elektron devices. Even though the tempo of the generated MIDI Clock is accurate, both the Analog RYTM and Analog Four provide rather unstable clock (high jitter) with a standard deviation of up to 1.4% at 120 BPM.

For comparison, Ableton Live running on OS X (using a Behringer UMC204 USB MIDI interface) provides much better clock stability at 0.5%.

Additionally, MIDI Clock jitter increases (to 2.1%) once you start sending Aftertouch messages by pressing the pads on the RYTM.

The author of the MidiClk firmware found the same kind of jittery MIDI Clock issue on the Moog Sub37 and reported this on the Moog forums. After this, Moog was able to reduce jitter from about 2% down to about 0.2% (see http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/comment/116274#Comment_116274 for details).

It would be lovely if Elektron could look into improving the accuracy of their MIDI Clock generation code in the firmware of the Analog line. If needed, I would obviously be more than happy to help with testing.

Lots of midi clock tests for comparison here:
http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Litmus.html

The RYTM and A4 are certainly not the worst, but perhaps not the Swedish precision you would expect.

1 Like

Sure, but it’s a bit ironic (to say the least) that Ableton Live, which is often pointed out as an example of a DAW that provides bad MIDI Clock, is actually much less jittery as a clock source than the recent Elektron gear.

Also, even though I understand the primary goal of that Innerclock page is to compare their products with other gear, it would be nice if they actually had provided information on their test methodology.

By the way, I also tested the USB MIDI output from the RYTM using a MIDI USB host box (Kenton MkII). This results in the exact same amount of jitter as when using the DIN MIDI out on the RYTM.

Interestingly, jitter does jump up to 6% once you start adding aftertouch messages, but I guess that kinda makes sense since USB MIDI does have higher bandwidth.

Still, to me it seems more sensible to prioritize clock over pretty much any other type of MIDI message, but maybe I’m missing something.

I think what electron has in favor more than the clock quality itself, is the clock interpreter. While Ableton takes a few beats to refine Tempo and get in sync, the black boxes does it almost instantly.

I´m not using RYTM as master clock but the OT as Master Clock.
OT sends just MIDI Clock, Xfader, and Prgm Ch. to AF and RYTM through a MOTU MIDI interface and all runs pretty smooth.

In the pass I always used a dedicated MIDI Device just to get MIDI Clock inside Ableton, sending a considerable amount of controller data though the same device as Clock never worked good for me.

Yes, I agree. Ableton is really bad at syncing to an external clock source in my experience as well while this issue hardly seems to impact the ability of my A4 to sync to the RYTM.

I sadly no longer own an OT; would love to run the same test on the OT as well. The nice thing about the MidiGAL is that it’s cheap ($30 for the PCB & pre-programmed MCU and another $10 for parts) and very easy to assemble if you have a little soldering experience.

Yes, I agree. Ableton is really bad at syncing to an external clock source in my experience as well while this issue hardly seems to impact the ability of my A4 to sync to the RYTM.[/quote]
Actually, Ableton takes a little bit to get in sync but after that, all goes pretty smooth, I work with Ableton in my live show since many years worldwide and never had any major issue.

I sadly no longer own an OT; would love to run the same test on the OT as well. The nice thing about the MidiGAL is that it’s cheap ($30 for the PCB & pre-programmed MCU and another $10 for parts) and very easy to assemble if you have a little soldering experience. [/quote]
Dear T,
do you try to sync with MidiGal, both Rytm and Ableton?
All the best,
waldemaR

I would be thrilled if Elektron started being as responsive as Moog… but frankly I doubt it…
Or perhaps it’d be fairer to say that if it does happen, it probably won’t happen soon.