Analog Rytm Standalone - thoughts?

Id love to hear what you are doing with the RYTM, especially with the dual vco. I love that style of music and incorporate elements of that into my tracks.

Im with you all who do at least the core of the track on the rytm. It sounds like @splenda and I do it the same. Actually was doing that very thing last night. I had dumped some audio into my daw but the drums and bass weren’t feeling right so I sampled everything into the rytm and now it’s super tight. Additionally, the mix was actually better than what I had done in my DAW.

I need to learn the dual VCO better. I have tried to use it for basslines, but for whatever reason it never sticks and I usually sample my basses and sequence in the rtym. Maybe it’s good for arps or something like that?

But there is something about sending most of tracks to the stereo reverb/delay that really opens up the drum sound and makes it huge. I’m pretty stunned at how good it sounds compared to effects chains in the DAW. I would say I use moderate buss distortion, OD around 2-3db per track and I really like the motown compressor setting posted here a long time ago.

Nothing like tweaking a stab sample in the AR over the course of a tune. I have been building my arrangements on it as well in song mode and thats huge because when I track into my DAw, I already have the basis of the track completed.

One other thing that makes this a winner for me, is its so easy to make giant kicks with the machines on the unit plus a sample. To me that is a game changer, because sample layering can be a PITA with phasing. The RYTM basically just makes it so simple. Just use your ears and adjust the sample start, pitch and decay.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to record all my minimal dubby AR patches into simple one-take no-post-processing tracks for ages, once I finally have time to I’ll post em here!

That would be rad. I love that recent release from Anton Kubikov for example.

Are you using stab samples and dubbing them out with the AR delay? I’m always looking to figure out new tricks I can do with the stabs. If I make them on my synths sometimes I keep them there just so I can lengthen the decay and mess with the envelopes more. But I am thinking it could be cool to tighten up a long pad sample into a stab.

Also with pads, I have one running now in my DAW that I sidechained pretty hard to the kick, which is the main reason I haven’t brought it into the RYTM. But I have one slot open on the RYTM and I’m super tempted to sample it in. im just not sure if I can get that same sidechained effect with it, but i think im about to say screw it and try anyway.

I didnt just do a straight 4x4 pattern, I added extra kicks based on probability and it really makes the pad sound super cool and more uptempo when it’s on it’s own in the mix. But if I can get that happening in the RYTM, ill be excited. That’s basically the entire core of my track, and then I just add in some machine drum perc, and modular FX…etc and its a wrap.

1 Like

Yeah I used to make collections of stabs with my usual plugin synths in Ableton but I recently got a Minilogue XD, so I’d like to start experimenting with sampling raw unfitered chord hits/drones from that and using the AR filters and envelopes on them. One thing I did that made for a more organic-sounding result was making sample chains of several variations of the same stab, with each variation having subtle differences in the micro-level timing of each note in the chord, or differences in phaser/chorus/flanger cycle timing, other nuances like that. Obviously you lose the stereo width of modulation effects, as it’s best to monitor in mono since it’ll end up that way, but the tonal variations that survive collapsing to mono make a big difference compared to using the same stab sample on each hit when playing on the RYTM.

2 Likes

thats a rad idea. I should have thought of that myself since I make stab collections as well. That said, shortening long pads with faster attacks to stabs in the RYTM envelope could really be nice.

I love that idea with the minilogue, seems like a perfect synth for thick dubchords.

I also just realized my pad sample sound is stereo with effects like reverb and delay on it (triton rompler), so mono sampling into RYTM will change that character of it. May be a cool thing though once I make it stereo with the RYTM effects again. Ill have to sort that out. im going to get on this stuff in a bit and see how it goes.

1 Like

I am so close to getting an ARmkII - I’ve fancied one for ages - this thread is edging me closer and closer…

3 Likes

My AR MK2 probably takes the #1 spot out of my Elektrons (fighting with Octatrack for the spot at times).

5 Likes

That’s cool to hear !!! Thanks ! (I’ve got a birthday in a couple of weeks so that seems a reasonable excuse…)

2 Likes

Rytm is the ultimate standalone device. It is like a mutant cousin of the SP202 with analog VCOs and sculpting multiplying the sonic footprint into the stratosphere. Here’s an example of a 100% Rytm (MK I) track I did with liberal sample usage to extend the oscillator options. The halfway point starts ramping up the bass capabilities of the machine…

18 Likes

Ok I loved that.

1 Like

Over the past few years I’ve been (very) slowly picking up the big 3 elektrons and in the time I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing or if I should be just saving my money and continue to work exclusively in the box. I got the OT and A4 way cheaper than I’ve ever seen them go since or before, so selling them for a little profit was always calling my name every time I would sit down and jam for 2 hours instead of actually recording what I was doing. When I finally took the plunge on the ARmk2 I felt sick paying so much for an instrument that I was still kind of unsure if I’d even work well with, but it was really the key that unlocked the whole elektron puzzle for me. Never felt more capable in my musical ability on anything else, really THE forever instrument for me, either standalone or playing alongside its friends and computer.

8 Likes

Great excuse!

Mine is in a few days. Already have/love a Rytm. Got a Bitbox MK2 on the way for my B-day :wink:

1 Like

That does look like a lot of fun! (Happy birthday!)

1 Like

This a great! Dirty and beefy.

In places it kind of reminds me of modern “industrial” Gary Numan meets classic “synthwave” Gary Numan. :heart_eyes:

This kind of thing definitely adds GAS to the fire. :sob:

2 Likes

Thanks! Definitely is my favorite machine I’ve ever used. Let your GAS lead you to the light…

2 Likes

always hovering right above the buy button and afraid that they will drop the digitakt mk2 right after I do :frowning:

I would be shocked if they do. New Digitakts are still selling at a premium, and ones on the used market are still priced close to new. The Digitakt/Digitone pair seem to still have a lot of product lifecycle in them, so from my admittedly outside viewpoint, I don’t see a lot of reason for them to do a DTMKII in the near future.

If anyone has any insider info to the contrary, I’d be happy to be wrong. Wait. no, I wouldn’t be happy, I’d probably want to spend money. :frowning:

2 Likes

they might not call what’s coming next a digitakt mk2 but I feel like their itching to drop something that incorporates everything they’ve learned from the rytm, digitakt and model samples development but that has more power than both… they keep putting out these new paint jobs… but. I know they wanna do another beat machine

1 Like

I’m also very tempted by the ARmkII, but I still wait the next Elektron release to decide myself. For us the poor guys, we can’t afford all theses beast by just GAS. The choice to spend a month of hard work to an instrument is critical.
If you check previous gears announcments from Elektron, it come generally between january and may. So let’s wait unti june.

5 Likes

mk1 since 2015.
Thought it might get competition with the TR8S, but it stays at No.1.

1 Like