Analog Rytm Program Change

With the updated OS, I have been hoping to use the Rytm as the heart of my setup. So far, I’ve been using the midi sequencer to send notes to my synth. I was hoping that I’d be able to use the Rytm to send Program Change messages so my synth will switch patches with a new pattern on the Rytm. Turning on the Program Change setting in Midi Config on the AR does have an effect, just not one that I want. When the setting is on and I change patterns, it will cause the Synth to jump to a random patch.

Is it possible to control what patch my synth plays when switching patterns on the AR?

I doubt that a “random” patch is being selected. The AR sends Program Change (PC) messages that correspond to the pattern that is being selected:

• changing to pattern A01 will send PC 0
  • changing to pattern A02 will send PC 1
  • changing to pattern H16 will send PC 127.

Which synth are you using?

You could store patches on your synth according to which one is needed for each pattern.

If this is not sufficient, you would need some intermediate device to re-map the Program Change messages.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t make the connection. I’m using a K-Station. It looks like I will have to reorganize the patches to achieve what I want.

Just curious, what type of device could re-map program changes? Another midi sequencer?

I finally found someone who own one!

What other piece of gear do you have? Do you have a Digitone or a Digitakt? If so, you could use it to achieve what you want.

I have a Korg Monologue and a Tb-03, and some Minifoogers. The digital VA sound of the K-Station mixes well with the analog machines. I was actually thinking of a Digitakt but have been trying to limit the number of machines I own (haha), hence the dream of having the Rytm as the center of setup.

Re-mapping software on a computer, or a MIDI processor hardware unit (lots of discussion on Elektronauts), or some brands of MIDI interface.

Other MIDI sequencers (the AR is very limited for MIDI sequencing) including Digitone and Digitakt, Akai MPC instruments, Squarp Pyramid, can send arbitrary Program Change messages on any sequencer step. The Octatrack is also slightly more flexible than the AR in sending arbitrary Program Change messages when its pattern changes.