Analog Rytm patterns for not electronic genres

Hello,

I would like to know if analog rytm works well to play patterns from other genres like funk, rock&roll, samba, etc. Like a “basic” drum machine to play with other instruments.
That probably depends on the loaded instruments/samples but it will be nice to know from some of you who have experience with this topic.

It will be great to see some example and if there is a library with this kind of sounds.

Thanks!

Any drumachine will do what you are talking about. Cocteau Twins used a 707 , Big Black used a 606. Not sure what Ween used.
The only limits are your imagination.

Thank you for your reply. I saw some vidoes of the artist you mentioned and it sounds good, especially Cocteau Twins.
But my attempts to find some examples of drum patterns of other kind of music using analog rytm were not successful.

Do you have some examples of it to really discover how versatile it can be?

Thank you

I’ve only seen one person on YouTube attempting to make something than other than electronic/techno music on a Rytm, he was using it to make boom bap beats. It’s a drum machine so honestly you can use it for whatever style you want, but in my opinion it seems best suited for electronic/techno style music. The sounds, the features, the way it’s set up, etc, all seem like they were designed for techno. I’d suggest an MPC if you want a powerful sampler/sequencer that can cover a wide range of styles.

1 Like

Hmmm. Don’t have insight to the design process. But surely the Rytm is capable of playing a lot of other genres. Depends on the user. But, yeah, at first they seem techno biased. But there are others…

Me for example. Surely electronic, but not techno.

Singer/Songwriter/Pop: https://soundcloud.com/carlmikaelbjork/helvete-clara-holmstrom
Ambient/Only Rytm: https://soundcloud.com/carlmikaelbjork/aura-545-disquiet0235

It depends much more on your programming skills (and choice of samples and sound palette) than the intentions of the instrument designer.

2 Likes

Check out Beach House. Lots of drum machine. Definitely not techno.

1 Like

You could use it for a wide variety of genres. Results will vary depending upon sound selections, and programming skills. If you’re trying to play traditional metal, or classic rock, it might not be the best choice (that goes for drum machines in general IMO).

1 Like

I’d like to recommend this:

260 Drum Machine Patterns https://www.amazon.de/dp/0881888877?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Really versatile. Bad qulity print, but the content is top.

“This book is a supplement to the first volume of Drum Machine Patterns. In it you will find over 260 rhythm patterns and breaks. These are original patterns that can be programmed easily on any drum machine. This book contains the rhythms most often used in contemporary music, and many patterns incorporate flams, to be used on the latest generation of drum machines.”

1 Like

I follow a couple of drummers on IG just to get ideas for beats.

I think I used “techno” for lack of another word to describe electronic music. I still struggle with what techno really means. In my mind it’s just another word for electronic.

1 Like

You can sequence any type of genre possible. For those outside 4/4 you’ll need to work out the number of steps on the sequencer.

But to sound like a genre (stereotype) - samba, jazz, rock - you’ll need acoustic drum samples. Check DrumDrops.

3 Likes

As stated , only thing lacking is imagination. And some hard work.
Drum samples make it easier but it is still posssible without them with tuning , time signature off steps swing and level controls. I have achieved this with an md but have no experience with rytm