Analog Rytm OS 1.7x: bug reports

On my MkII:

Track 3 set to Dual VCO, Track 4 set to CP Classic.

Track 3 produces a short click sound on the first trigger after its choke group partner track 4 (CP) has sounded. Subsequent triggering of sound 3 are as expected (no click) until after sound 4 is next triggered.

Most noticeable if you have a sound on track 3 with a longer attack like a synth sound.
It doesn’t seem to matter how long you leave it after sound 4 has played before triggering sound 3 - the click is there on the first press or trigger from the sequencer.

If you swap the sounds (3 = CP, 4 = Dual VCO) you get the same result, reversed: click on pad 4.

The click only seems to be present if sound 3 is set to Dual VCO and sound 4 is set to CP but it is still present if the level of the analog machines are set to zero level.

Other machine choices (including the other SY sounds) don’t produce the click as far as I can tell.

This doesn’t seem to be an issue on the other choke grouped pairs of 7/8 and 11/12 - it’s just the combination of Dual VCO and CP in the 3/4 choke group.

1 Like

Euclidean menu randomization [TRIG+YES] often creates out of range values, usually it’s number of pulses that exceeds the length combined with the last OP set to SUB, but even if you tweak the SUB to another OP you still need to adjust both pulses to fit in the length, otherwise it’s just triggering every step. such outcome comes far to often to use randomization, maybe it should randomize the pulses within the range of length to make it more randomization friendly.

6 Likes

This has been logged already

2 Likes

ah, sorry, missed it

Hope they address the page loop/fill oversight on the mk1s, this feature was clearly designed with mk2s in mind. I’m glad I read about it before updating so I can hold off until it’s patched. I’m excited for the new features/machines but not willing to trade them for using fills with mutes/scenes for transitions. That’s a huge live performance feature for the rytm.

2 Likes

Sounds familiair

bug found by @mekohler on mk1 and confirmed on my mk2, resetting the default SYNTH/SRC page will fall back to completely different values from the default sound for almost every machine on a track that the machine been changed from the default kit.
other menus seem to work fine, SMPL/FLTR/AMP.

on BD CLASSIC it will also cause an ERR on the transient param.

so for example load a BD SHARP on a fresh kit on BD track and hit [SYNTH/SRC+NO] and the values will change for something weird, so is noise, impulse and many others.

example after loading BD CLASSIC and pressing [SRC+NO]:

so I tested this and it seems that what happens is that once you save the kit and change the machine the values will fall back to previous machine state, so for default kit BD HARD is loaded with some params, and if you load any other machine and reset the latest one it will fall back to that BD HARD params, for some machines that means error.

so if you load BD SILKY and tune it and you want to reset that BD SILKY you’d have to save the kit every time you change a machine, which iirc was not the behavior before 1.70, I often switched bd/sd machines and they’d reset to current machine defaults.
another way to emphasize this bug is to load any of the SD machines on BD track and reset the params, it will default values to the BD values which should not happen, it should reset to the snare machine values.

4 Likes

My point in that post was that if you change the kit (without saving) and then ‘restore’ page settings … it may be correctly restoring from the last saved kit (even though it’s inconvenient in this use case)

If you change a machine, like BD to SD and then save the Kit, it will restore from the new Kit

This may be a regression, but it may also be intended … this was my point fwiw in the linked post.

PS: this was flagged up, noted and discussed during testing but wasn’t subsequently changed. Suggesting that the last saved Kit is where the values are fetched from

Ok, well for now I am using “Clear Track Sound” to determine the Synth Parameter defaults…sometimes these match hitting SYNTH/SRC + NO, but sometimes not. Some defaults have also changed from previous OS’s.

I suspect that i encountered a little bug; i wrote a pattern where LT6 was a noise type snare sound which is now again the default Low Tom sound. I made sure that i saved the pattern correctly (Yes Kit, Yes Pattern, Save Project) and haven’t changed any settings afterwards (unless i’ve been sleepwalking).
(on an MKI)

1 Like

Anyone else notice this one yet?

When I create a new pattern with a saved kit, often the synth and sample settings in the TRIG page will both be set to “on” for some tracks, even though that isn’t their state in the saved kit.

Trig page is not part of the kit

3 Likes

Well how about that!

MK1. I think it’s a bug?

1 . Use the Euclidean sequencer & create a rhythm (set PL1 to 5)
2 . func+trig mute to enter trig mute mode
3 . a) put a trig in between an actual euclidean trig (an empy trig so say 16 or 6)
= empty trigs are all silenced(which has no effect). For some reason, only the first trig used by the Euclidean sequencer is muted
3 . b) put a trig on the first euclidean trig
= empty trigs are all silenced (and the first trig too but here it’s to be expected)

in 3a or 3b I would expect that only the selected trig gets muted (empty or not).

slide/accent mode follows this pattern too

Not in front of a machine, but an important concept to keep in mind is that there are no trigs ‘in between’ euclidean steps … so if there’s unexpected outcomes it could be a bug, but also a consequence of the conceptual oversight

to allocate a trig one of those three modes, you would ideally hold the euclidean step and press the corresponding bank button and that process should be as consistent as applying a p-lock to that step … if that method doesn’t work it may point to an issue

Curious to see if it’s similar on Mk2 although they should be the same

I don’t think overlaying other modes above EUC mode is going to work as you may be used to in regular trig modes, but it still shouldn’t be possible to create spurious outcomes

Remember, unpopulated gaps between purple EUC steps (whilst in EUC mode) do not exist on the normal trig view (EUC switched off, i.e. not frozen)

So if PL1 = 5 you are working on the first 5 normal steps of 1-16, unless you freeze the EUC pattern at which point spaces are then introduced between those 5 to spread them out

1 Like

what i did 1st was 3b then I thought it was weird so tried other non-empty trigs but it didn’t mute all the empty trigs like the 1st trig so then I thought lets put a trig on an empty trig. in any case, it shouldn’t mute unrelated trigs. I wonder if the or/xor/and/sub settings would produce other outcomes!

how can …

… this be interpreted

‘empty’ trigs in EUC mode don’t exist, so how can they even be silenced ?

It’s not super clear to me, what you are meaning or trying, but i wouldn’t use the ‘bank’ modes in the way you are above EUC mode (or i would at least check how they work as i guess you are trying)

but the wording of this is too open to be certain

the operator modes don’t matter, they just change (how many and) which Steps are lit purple

you may have spotted an issue, but it’s still important to appreciate that EUC mode numbering is VERY different to normal step numbering (see diagram explanation here)

1 Like

remember I’m using an MK1 so there’s no purple.

anyway, pictures to make the empty trigs thing clearer (1/2)

1. the EUC sequence

1. the EUC sequence in trig mute mode (the red lights are dimmed)

(2/2)

1. the EUC sequence in trig mute mode with the second EUC trig muted (works as expected)

1. the EUC sequence in trig mute mode with either the 1st trig muted or any empty trigs (the one that were not lit in 2.)

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s the expected behavior but it seems buggy.

One thing I can’t do with that is “reserve” some trigs for track 3/4. Let’s say I have a clap on track 4 playing on different trigs and that I’m using track 3 as a rimshot in EUC mode. I “reserve” the trigs used in track 4 by muting them on track 3. Now I play around with the EUC to modify the rhythm on the fly. As I can’t mute “empty trigs”, it doesn’t work. If I print the EUC sequence by turning it off, then putting the mute trigs, it works as expected. If I put the EUC sequence ON again, the outcome is totally different. That could be a feature of course