Analog Rytm MKII don't BOOT or Start ?!? Need Your Support

Sooo, my cousin just got a new AR2 and this “no boot” issue has started to appear. Since it’s been 12 months - did you guys find a cure or just gave up?

hey all, may 2020 and having the no boot issue. it persisted until i powered on the unit with the power cable AND THE USB CABLE CONNECTED and the USB terminating in a port on a USB hub.

upon taking out the usb, the unit powers on 50/50. leaving the usb connected to a computer the unit powers on every time.

strange, but its not the first time usb caused electronic hardware in my studio to not boot. for a while a few years ago, my desktop PC would not turn on unless all USB was disconnected from it.

This sound like a faulty power supply.

Just started happening to me after a few weeks of using it :confused:

Using with a Furman power conditioner.

Get a powered USB hub. Your computer might not have the juice to power externals.

My old lappy didn’t have enough juice. Solution: powered hub.

I have the same issue. No activity at all after flipping the power switch. Today I had to do a factory reset. Now it seems to bee booting OK

1 Like

New (black) ARM2, purchased from new in November 2020. Started to require multiple attempts, and pulling mains in and out to get to boot up. Have updated OS to 1.60A, no faults showing on start-up test. Issue seems to have been around a while, looking at this thread.

Have raised a ticket and put the retailer on notice, so thought I would put a shout out here while I await a response. What is Elektron’s response to this issue for those of you that previously raised a ticket?

Like others on this chain, I just had a scare with my Analog Rytm MKII not turning on, but I seem to have fixed it. What was happening, most of the time, was on power up, the lights would flash once briefly and then the unit would look like it was powered off. A couple times it got to the screen where it says “Analog Rytm MKII” and just hang there.

What seemed to fix it is warming the unit up. I can’t say for sure; maybe it was coincidence. But I sometimes keep my house colder than maybe I should, and it was cold in here when I had the problem. So, other people struggling might try warming it up if it’s cold. FYI.

For completeness, I put it in Test Mode and got:
0 ERRORS
UI:(+)
DRAM:(+)
FPGA:(+)
AUDIO:(+)
UI FIRMWARE: 1.2.5

Exactly the same issue with me. Black mk ii, just purchased mint condition second hand. Was working perfectly with heavy usage for a week and then just now, upon switching it on (via mains or via device switch), it flashes the lights then turns off. I did leave the window open last night so I’ll try warming it up and seeing if it boots properly.

I encountered the same issue Black mk2. I made a ticket and Elektron replied that this is a 1.6 and 1.6A firmware bug. If that happens wait for one two minutes to empty the capacitors and then try to switch it on again…they said.

interesting, thanks for doing that and posting the response here. I have only had the issue once and it was resolved by waiting a bit.

1 Like

Where is it plugged? Maybe try some other power outlets…

I have checked the power supply and is ok. Of course I use a power strip. but there is always a chance to encounter this and additionally it happened to some a friend of mine with the grey AR. I have the mk2 5 months and it happened about 4 times. What can u say about it haha, it is really scary and also disappointing. The only thing we can do is to wait for the next OS update and Elektron hasn’t announced something yet :confused:

I think they Analog Four mkII 1,5 had a similar issue with version 1.5 …and it was solved with 1.5a.

I have a a4,i got it like 2 months ago, and the 1st thing i did was upgrade to 1.5.a
Never had a problem with Boot my a4.

My Mk2 sometimes doesn’t turn on as if it’s dead, then after 1 or 2 more attempts it turns on as normal. This has me nervous every time I turn it on that it will stop working completely. So many complaints about this, wish Elektron would make an announcement about what is going on with so many units having this issue.

2 Likes

Like what? Just about to buy one but have a Rytm with issues… not sure I want a A4 with issues as well

Had something like this with my Mk I for about 6 months. Ongoing discussion with Elektron support.

Mine starts, but with high pitched noise, doesn’t connect over USB/OB and won’t take MIDI start/stop. Takes a few power cycles (4/5) before it works correctly.

Recently blew it back to factory and flashed new firmware. It worked for while, then back to the same problem again.

looks like an update just landed :slight_smile:

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Analog-Rytm_MKII_OS1.61_readme.html

2 Likes

I see the update, but besides the “Missing Cal:Pads” issue it doesn’t note anything directly addressing the occasional (or frequent) power on/blank screen issue which at a glance, seems more like a hardware/ribbon cable issue.

I only got a missing cal pads when I got a black screen. Not had any issues since update

1 Like