Analog Rytm MIDI Question- MIDI Guidance

Hello Elektron gurus! I was wondering if there was a way for the Rytm to receive MIDI from Ableton that tells my bass pad which note to play, while not triggering the note. I basically want to have a bassline playing its own melody which is triggered by my live performance hits. I am not sure how to go about doing this, but if its possible that would be huge for my workflow and performances in general. Please let me know, thanks

unless I’m misunderstanding, it sounds like you want your performance hits to unmute the prearranged bassline, so why don’t you set up the mutes via midi using the cc’s in the manual’s midi implementation chart to trigger them from whatever controller you’re using. you’ll need to re-mute it to silence it though.

if that’s not what you’re talking about you’ll need to try and clarify your intentions.

Hmm, I’m not really well versed in MIDI but let me try to clarify more- I want to fingerdrum, and have the bass note automatically change while I’m drumming. I tried programming the notes I want into the sequencer then muting the track but that didn’t really change the note. I guess I am wondering if there is a way to feed a MIDI sequence to a track that plays the notes only when a hit is detected by the pad, almost like a template for the track to follow.

I get what you’re saying, for lack of a better word something like an auto-play feature, or maybe “one key play” would be more appropriate, which plays a prearranged sequence but is only triggered and progresses by the physical manipulation of the pads, and I assume you want to keep this contained to one or two pads so that it’s easier to finger drum the rhythm.

I don’t know if there’s a way to do that or not, you’ll have to wait for an AR person to jump in on this one. I kinda think that’s not really how it works but there might be a workaround. sorry, that’s probably outside of what I can advise you on.

I can imagine using an LFO that changes the pitch but I don’t think you’d be able to plan it with precision to the point where it would replace a note sequence.

Yeah! That’s what I’m looking for. It would open up a big dimension of expression for live performances! Like if I had a synth progression that was straight eighth notes that I can treat like a high hat, or a bassline that’s latched onto the progression’s root notes, that would be amazing! Thanks for your help, Ill keep toying with it keeping your suggestions in mind.

no worries, this would be slightly more complicated than what you’re thinking and you’d need a programmable midi foot controller to do it but if the note sequence was simple, you might be able to set up the foot controller to change the notes manually each time you pressed it, basically using the foot controller to advance through the sequence, but that would require you to time your foot triggering with your hand triggering and some messing around with the actual setup portion. that’s about all I can think of though.

1 Like

Sounds like a customizable arp
Not really a RYTM thing on its own
If I get it right, the sequence advancing each time you hit a pad could be accomplished a few ways, tricky tho.

Holy shit, almost like a pedal organ! Genius! Now I have a bunch of MIDI research to do… and even with my limited knowledge it seems like that would work pretty well. Thanks a ton! I was mainly targeting the bassline with this question, and I only need to switch between three or four notes for the bass. The synth progression would’ve been the cherry on top, but I’ll focus on this bass solution first.

1 Like

You could use 4 pads?

I think if you get the bassline to work the door will open itself for other possibilities, but really adds complexity performancewise so consider that. Also bodymechanics knows his shit so he might have a good idea or 2 without extra baggage attached,

True, but I need a super tight envelope or some way to choke the basses. I also tend to use all the pads so I’m just trying to get the most bang for my buck here

I see. A variety of two pads definitely choke.
What about a controller, keys or pads dedicated to playing those RYTM voices chromatically?

I think that would actually work pretty well, my only concern is the travel time from keyboard back to pad might mess with my left-right hand sync, but I think that’s just something a little practice can fix as long I don’t have to go ham on the bass and the drums at the same time. Thank you!

Would it be possible to set up something like an MPC controller where a set of four pads trigger different bass notes, and a set of five pads triggers different pentatonic notes?

Your desires are highly customized kinds of things.
Yes it’s possible
Between things like Computers, Bomes, M4L, various other hacks you can do just about anything.

1 Like

This might do what you want:

1 Like

Blokas midi hub will likely be able to offer a solution.

Very cool, I figured something like this existed
Thanks for sharing it

1 Like