Analog Rytm Kit Pattern Save Project Memory Mega Tutorial

Thank you so much!! I did read the manual…but

Didnt realize what the sound pool really was…that is a big deal for me…layering samples with the synth sounds is magical… and i didnt get the idea of saving of them as sounds…
but its very obvious from your work here.
this is hugely helpful and obvious but i missed it!!

Ive always liked the quick save as you go mentality of this device

making sure to start new kits every time is a tip i learned from your other videos and thanks for going deeper on it

Wondering if i could improve on it and all this info is super helpful!!

As of now, when i start a project i typically load a kit or build a quick kit…save it…new save…
start messing with sounds and patterns and if pattern starts getting real…save it…its now referencing the kit…
listen to kit sounds…if i mess with kit sounds…save it…but as a new kit…same as before but with A on it…save pattern
then keep doing that…i can always go back through previous kits…A B C…etc…

i can always go back to a previous kit…each pattern i liked is hopefully saved with a specific kit…

I end up with lots of kits with various tweaks…but i can have so many as long as i keep track of them it doesnt matter…
and i can always go back to a previous kit as my tendency is to get crazier and crazier the more i stay on a kit…heh

1 Like

@KaitlynsHouse I would add that the progression is very logical, and pedagogical.
Everything seems simple, yet we know how hard it can be to explain things from A to Z.
@cuckoomusic, you do a great job helping people :slight_smile:

@KaitlynsHouse another use for the sound pool is that you can change the whole sound of a track with a sound-lock (hold a trig then move the level knob : very nice to bring change to a track :slight_smile:

I’m so happy to hear you guys find it helpful! @KaitlynsHouse and @s3kn0tr0n1c ! Thank you!

I thought it’s possible to undo a pattern clear by repeating the same key combo?

1 Like

Yeah, if you do it straight away. But not if you press anything else in between. A good practice is to first copy the pattern/ track/ page etc, so that you can paste it back if you regret it.

1 Like

Great tutorial , very handy for a newbie like me.

I hope you do some on the new elektron box and help squash bugs before release

1 Like

I’m very curious of what it is.
Probably some sort of effects looper combination unit, no?

sans looper… :slight_smile:

@cuckoomusic Having just gotten an Analog Rytm, you are currently my favorite thing on the internet.

1 Like

first i want to second that cuckoo has helped out allot with his tutorials. very well done.

today though - heart break for real.

i worked out a kit, patterns and performances for a track, saved in a project - song and kit. i thought i made sure to save the kit when i made changes to it, saved project as well. i canceled recall from OB since i wanted to have rytm control everything from the hardware end. (thought) i made sure that the kit were saved by entering the kit menu and saved it as Sol every time i made a change to it. was about to arrange the song with the rest of my synths in Live today when it happened, OB asks for recall, but this time i open OB and i see that it reflects the machine state, and i press accept this time and some default kit with some default patterns starts playing. panic struck and the anxiety spread in my entire body. i opened the kit browser to load my Sol-kit but it was’nt there. it’s gone and i feel really bad.

i realise that this issue has been up before and many of you have gone lenghts to make this kind of basic function clear for the ones like me that f-cked up and reacted in different ways to it. but i cannot understand what else i could have done but tp save a project, song, kit, naming the stuff, saving everything i could find that has a save feature but still have everything set back to some other stuff and not being able to load saved stuff. by now i feel like i can’t go back to using drumracks etc in Live a getting rid if this fascinating drum synth, but i feel so hopelessly depressed about this that i just don’t know.

thx for reading

Damn!! This sucks.
But before you do anything crazy. The project that you have made sure to save (on the device I assume), if you open that project again, is everything there?

The elektrons all have this “open project” memory, where the current project with all its kits and patterns etc are. The stored and saved project is at a different place in the memory. It’s essentially a copy. This “open project” memory, I assume, will be taken over completely by OB when doing a total recall. It will not load a project stored on the device for you, I think, but rather send over all that data from the OB plugin. I don’t think that OB will ever overwrite a project stored on the device (I hope). So perhaps your last save is just fine when you open the project again on the machine?

i haven’t saved anything since this happened, and my thought like you said was that if i open the project again after accepting a recall from OB, my stuff will be back. since old-ass stuff and old kits is all that is available in my last project is available, it seems like i did’nt save the project itself, only the kits and song - which is not available when i re-open this project. but what i can’t understand is why the song and kit saves within a project becomes irrelevant/discarded if the project itself is not updated with a save.

That’s the thing. Nothing is saved in the project file at all, until you save the project. The whole project you’re working on is just a temporary file separate from the saved file.

2 Likes

seems like i need to watch your vid once again. still planning on getting a A4 on my next trip to gothenburg. thx again. awesome community

This is one of these really important details that is easy to miss. I’m not 100% sure that I’ve actually stressed the importance of this in my videos. I think maybe I’m mentioning it, or maybe between the lines only, in this tutorial in this thread. I should’ve been more strict with this information.

The same thing applies if you send a whole project over from C6 on your computer. It ends up in you machine’s “current project” memory, replacing whatever was open there before transferring. It never overwrites what is saved in the project manager.

1 Like

i may have missed the mentioning too though and somehow i thought that saving a song and kit within a project would do. but whats the meaning of save kit and song if it isn’t really saved until you save project as well? seems like more room for mistakes than it has to be

Yeah it’s confusing…
If you don’t save a kit, it’ll be immediately lost once you navigate away from that kit/ pattern etc. If you save it, you can recall and reload it. But you can also return to the last saved project state.

I think the point is to have a safe returning point. Say you create a live set with a lot of cool kits and patterns. And when you’re performing - you’re flying all over the place. Changing patterns, kits, settings, mixing old patterns again later in the set, etc. Then for the next time you’re performing, you just reload the project, and you’re back to the starting point. Or, if you did stuff that you would like to keep, you save it. Perhaps as a new version even.

1 Like

makes sense in that context. elektron sequencer with parameter locks with scene and perf mode is something else than using multi-fx au on a drum rack to glitch and bend things out.