Analog mixer for studio / live techno

I’ve bought a few sets, even for the OTs and Console combo. I’ve had a great experience doing business with this guy (he’s also printed a label for my patchbay).

Edit: @aloud beat me to it
Edit 2: and of course @Schnork too, I see :grin:

5 Likes

Those look so cool. Not cheap though!

1 Like

It’s not the one you take with you every night to the free gig at dirty and punky techno club : )

It’s missing a flat surface to put your beer. Cant take it to clubs then.

1 Like

Hi there ! I am too, looking for a mixer to do live and studio. I’m more looking at combos interface / mixer. I tried mtk12 and 22, and now I have a Qu Pac. Actually now I’m getting a little annoyed with the USB issues they have (crazy threads the A&H forum), I’m also missing the faders and knobs ^^

Right now, I’m thinking either to go back to the mtk12, or get a tascam model 16. Do you guys have any tips regarding that type of range ?
Btw, I’m doing live techno with a few machines as well.

Why not setup a midi controller for the qu pac?

Sounds interesting ! I’ll have a closer look at this :slightly_smiling_face: To be honest, it’s more the USB streaming issues that are bothering me, than the actual usability of the box. The short version, is that there are issues of compatibility with recent computers and usb3. If you feel like reading: Topic: Digital noise when streaming audio via USB-B. | Allen & Heath Digital Community

Yes , i had this too - there are usb2 audio cards which you can plug into your computer. They cost about 30-50 € - there are some compatible ones.

I have this qu pac mixer myself, therefore i know its good and bad sides. I had this mouse moving latency mon increase myself, because of lots devices require usb, and i needed those. (Mouse /keyboard / usb sticks etc.) Having that usb card on a different interrupt helped.

1 Like

I’m not so sure I can use this with a laptop though, right ?

I dont know your laptop, if there is a docking station avilalbe -or if you have external pci express? I with external gpu possible, there might be also some bays available for that.
You could still record to USB drive on the mixer itself, and transfer the samples after recording.
I agree at a certain point it doesnt make sense - i personally use a desktop for audio production, as i had back luck with laptops in the past. I also switched to a thunderbolt audio interface for recording - i have multiply setups though i.e. a stand with synth and mixer, and a desk with DAW.

My laptop is a XPS15 7590, I’ll check if there’s some of the stuff you mentioned available. Actually, recording isn’t really an issues. It’s more usb to the mixer, that’s the problem.

What I’m ending up doing, is listening to the mixer when recording. After I’m done recording, I plug the audio of the laptop to the Qu Pac, and listen to the recordings from that audio, instead of usb. I don’t know if that makes sense ^^ Anyway, I guess this will do for now, but I’ll have to figure out a better way later on

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-DPC-latency/td-p/7471249

I had bough an Omen HP Laptop, which also sucks at dpc latency - i was at this time also viewing the dell xps 15 you have, it seems this generation isn’t good for audio production. I personally gave up with my laptop, because it had this latency due to battery management acpi.sys - disabling it was not good for battery life in my case. Maybe you can check your latency with latency mon, to evaluate what is happening on your system.

1 Like

Well, want to put it back to discussion…

Someone offered me 1k$ for my old Mix Wizard so again I’m thinking to let it go and get replacement.

There’s new SSL BigSix on the radar but still looks a bit too limited.

Any other ideas?

I’ve discovered APB Dynasonics rack mixer and it looks pretty cool. Any experience with it?

I’ve had my eye out for one of these for the past year or two. I saw someone’s video on YouTube where their recording was live from this board. I thought it sounded quite good. Everything sat well and had really good clarity. A very open or wide sound.

I have no experience with it myself though and they are definitely not cheap.

1 Like

About +4000-5000$ new (or with some interesting mods ) or around 2000$ used if lucky…

1 Like

First of all, take the $1K before the guy changes his mind :slight_smile:

I used APB’s for live sound, though this was a very long time ago. The company I worked for had a rack mixer and a “proper” 40 channel live-sound console.
Based on that experience I can say the sound and build quality are a serious step up from MixWizards and of course, from Mackie/Behriger/Soundcraft etc. Unfortunately I can’t comment on how the current model compares to the ca. 2005 model I used.
However, it is also a step down from a Midas Venice, so if you are looking for second hand, The Venice should be easier to find and to my ears sounds noticably better. The APB has more fully featured EQ’s (4 band+sweepable HPF, Venice has 3 bands and fixed HPF at 80Hz)
The APB also squeezes 4 more (mono) channels into the rack-mount frame.
You didn’t specify why you need such a high channel-count, but assuming you absolutely need that many inputs I would still say Venice; as long as you are happy to buy used, and can handle the size and weight. If not, just get a new Mackie.
Personally, If I was gigging I would try to fit my setup into a Xone 96 or 92.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment!

I also still believe original Venice 160 or 240 could be more sweet than APB, I’ve heard pres on Midas, they are very nice for coloring synths and drum machines, almost all immediately starts sounding better. APB is more “clinical” and clean sounding as far as I’ve heard from comments of GS. And Midas is easier to get and probably cheaper as well.

I will be quite ok with 160 config (4 stereo - 8 mono ) for tracking and
basic needs. Used is the only way, but I guess it’s still possible to get one in good shape.

SSL B6 would be also very cool (still need to figure out how good are ADDA converters ), but maybe later in a future then I have better studio and maybe more live / microphone work to do… For more electronic / techno music I think it has not enough sense…

1 Like