Analog Keys - Oil leaking out from bottom centre screw

Hi
This is kind of weird but I turned my analog keys over to measure for a new stand but noticed a treacle like substance running from one of the centre screw positions. I immediately cleaned it so a photo probably isn’t any help but just wanted to see if anyone has any idea what this could be before i take action such as opening it up or taking it somewhere for inspection. There was also a small oil stain on the current ikea stand which it has been sitting on for a while, but it seems to have come from the machine as well and pooled there. It is not a big mark perhaps the size of a large coin.

Any, tips on opening, idea what could be causing it or other suggestions welcome.

I just removed under bridge, quite a bit if oil presenting. The unit has a decksaver on at all times.

May need an oil change and new rear main seal for the gearbox?
Sorry not sure but leaking oil seems weird

10 Likes

its coming from the keyboard area

might be coming from the screen? do LCDs have liquid in them?

Me too. Manufactur date 2017-05.
Saw it when I flipped it to attach Underbridge.
Hasn’t affected performance. I suspected it might be from a too generous glob of soldering flux, or key lube?
This is a shot taken after it was wiped away, to the right of the sticker.

1 Like

i have pulled the back off but the back is held on by a number of ribbon connections, but it is definitely coming from the keyboard circuitry area,

1 Like

Mine wasn’t that bad. I better take another look!

Congrats. Now you have a Subaru Keys!

9 Likes

hrm. wow. yeah. i’m not helpful. sorry.

Im not sure I want to pull it apart further, I am technical with computers but getting these ribbons back connected might be trouble.

Is it humid where you’re at? Do you have a dryer inside? Most likely lubricant for the movable parts/screws, and a little too much was added. Sometimes humidity, heat can cause it to liquefy.

There are oil filled capacitors, and i have seen them leak, but they are generally for high current or high voltage situations like motor starting. The AK has the internal AC power supply, but I doubt it has an oil filled capacitor. But maybe. (Present day oil used for these do not have hazardous chemicals, btw.)

There are anti-rust oils, or anti-corrosion oils that are applied to protect metal surfaces. Usually that would be more a film coating. I doubt that that is the cause, but maybe.

Could you have a source of some other substance that has the opportunity to accumulate. Some sort of cleaning product that you are using on the keyboard, for instance ?

Do you really like tuna sandwiches, tuna packed in oil, or submarine sandwiches with extra oil on them ? (I’m getting hungry for a sub.) Do you eat over the keyboard ? I’m getting silly because i am running out of explanations.

BTW, i’ve never seen this with my AK.

Hopefully this doesn’t indicate some other problem, and you can just ignore it.

Hi
It is not the power supply as that is on the other side of the synth. The liquid is very viscous, and seems to be a very slow run. It is very unlikely to have run from one side of the synth to the other. I have a decksaver on the keyboard at all times and never eat or drink over the synth ever. My studio is a food, smoke and drink and any other liquid free environment plus the decksaver is permanently fixed to it.

Ive looked around inside and cannot see any oil on the main boards, it does seem to be linked to the keyboard housing area, but that part is difficult to access without pulling it all apart.

No it can get warm here temperature wise we just had summer but it was very mild summer and no humidity.

Has it been serviced, some people use WD-40 or something equivalent to clean contacts. They shouldn’t use that much. But maybe.

No I bought it new, and never needed a service.

I’m stumped.

1 Like

Well I am not going to pull it all apart. I think i am just going to clean up the obvious leak and keep using it. I will just keep monitoring it. I could take it in for a service but I have just got something else serviced and funds are low for servicing everything.

I think I will send this discussion to Elektron support and see what they say about it.

2 Likes

Mine definitely didn’t come from food and I doubt that it was from a popped capacitor. It works perfectly, and the leak had no chemical smell. It’s more like a Vaseline/petroleum gel.
Also, mine has experienced a few Australian summers, which are a tad warmer than your average Scandinavian heatwave. First week of autumn and most days still over 30°C

1 Like