Analog Heat

Don’t understand it… i think
I have Rytm and Keys
Don’t like it to use a computer…
i know it can add a lot, but I simply prefer me to be in a room without a computer…

so this new unit, can I use it as a stereo fx processor
After Keys
After Rytm
After both at once as a master?

1 Like

OK, it seems like its most appealing feature is the ability to use it as a plug-in with your DAW via Overbridge – that’s cool but – and I’m not experienced with using Overbridge in a professional mixing environment – for someone like me who uses UAD plug-ins powered by a couple of UAD hardware devices when both recording and mixing, I’m unsure if I could successfully use the Overbridge features simultaneously with my normal mix setup.

I know how to create an aggregate device in OS X such that I can use USB audio in conjunction with my Thunderbolt UAD interfaces, but I’ve only briefly tested it, had a few glitches but made it work – but mostly I have been advised to stay away from aggregate devices for serious work, so I’m curious how the Overbridge functionality would integrate into a larger audio-recording and -mixing setup… Would I end up just using the analog audio in and out for a simpler and more reliable technological experience, but give up VST automation and so on?

2 Likes

A new job for the OT… and i`m sure it is midified to the max … so … let’s shape the OT-LFOs

Hopefully it can process more than 2in2out at once via overbridge It would be nice to run separate processing per voice/track… if not it won’t replace my current pedals… but if I can process multiple signal paths then it’ll be added to my studio.

Loving the look and the format!

Intrigued by the midi/sync I/O section…
Used for syncing the envelopes and lfos?

Control in - is CV?

I guess no P-locking here, don’t see any sequencer.

Some similarities to jomox moonwind or moog midimurf?

:thup:

2 Likes

Yay, finally an Elektron machine I don’t need to go out and buy. My wallet is grateful.

13 Likes

That’s what I thought at first because of the “8 stereo distortion” effects, but what I’ve looked at so far suggests it’s only 2 in/2out – the 8 effects being 8 separate distortion engines that are available to choose one at a time.

1 Like

That’s how I read it too… we need to see a decent demo

Looks interesting, but one set of stereo in/outs. Why??

CV-in! OK … so via A4 … OMG

2 Likes

Me too. More a peripheral device than a core device. Can proceed without it.

1 Like

yes

A4

2 Likes

This is very petty but I just have to say the meme of naming all of the soundcloud demos “xxx gets heated” is extremely cheesy to me.

1 Like

I was thinking the same, that why no more inputs. They would then need to add multiple filters and EQs to box for every channel. Saturation could be naturally used with multiple channels as an send fx.

From daw or mixer you could insert this as a send fx device easily to be used with multiple channels, but still you’d be limited to one set of EQ and filter.

Looks interesting but its definitely on my “interesting but probably wont buy” list.

I’ve already got plenty of processors like this and don’t really need more. Having said that it might sound cool in conjunction with my T-resonator. GAS is a terrible thing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love it!

My initial thoughts:

1. Looks lovely - great interface! Is the dimension about half of the other elektron boxes?
  2. I already have an OTO Biscuit … and nice distortion pedals … and Soundtoys … so will need to see a really great Cenk video to be convinced of the usefulness.
  3. Some of those soundcloud clips sound way too overblown for my taste, so I’m more interested to hear what the subtle boosts / saturation sound like.
  4. I will need to hear the OTO Boum before I can purchase this unit.
3 Likes

Haven’t heard any demos yet that were obviously using the filter / LFOs / envelopes – sounds more like manual control of the distortion. Will keep looking.

As far as analog distortion in a recording environment, I recently picked up a Radial EXTC “effects reamper” (no, autocorrect, it’s not an ‘effects reaper’).

This is a nifty box that takes a balanced line-level signal from your DAW/interface, converts it to a Hi-Z guitar impedance, sends it to any guitar pedal(s) that you choose, then takes the output from the guitar pedals and sends them back to the computer at line level again. Or, in plain English, it allows you to use any guitar pedals you have as insert effects on recorded audio.

Besides opening up a world of sonic possibilities, it has greatly relieved my vague sense of guilt at owning all the guitar pedals that I don’t use anymore, as I can now tell myself – hey, maybe it’ll make a great effect on a vocal track someday…

1 Like

The heavy distortion applied to some of the examples arent to my liking. Also, where is the connection to the guitar, the beatbox guy, the car driving away? Kinda lost on me the whole teaser thing.

4 Likes

this looks nice & will sound superb … but
there’s nothing there I can’t do with a SoundToys FilterFreak +
Decapitator chained together…

I guess the question comes down to whether you want to be able to
achieve that without having to fire ( sorry, pun intended ) the DAW up
though ?

Having said that Elektron seem to be focusing on the Overbridge
implementation as a big selling point : tbh if I was using my DAW I’d
probably just break out my UAD & SoundToys plug-ins anyway for this
sort of effect…?

I think if they’d have thrown some other stuff in there - studio quality