Analog Heat SOS Review

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/elektron-analog-heat

To my mind, the Analog Heat is the most inspiring piece of audio processing hardware that I have had the pleasure to get hands-on with in recent times. It is hard to overstate just how good the Analog Heat is. It’s the only audio processor I can think of that is almost as much of a musical instrument as it is an audio processor.

2 Likes

“Elektron pitch the Analog Heat not only as a distortion-based effects processor, but also as a method of enhancing a track during the mastering process. I could find no reason to dispute their confidence in that latter regard, as I could see subtle application of the Saturation and Enhancement distortions adding weight and body. Alongside the EQ section’s ability to add clarity to the upper registers and warmth lower down, this could potentially be very useful when mastering tracks.”

I appreciate this statement from the review because I was criticized for expressing the exact same sentiment when the Analog Heat first came out.

13 Likes

Didn’t read critics … can’t remember but i always said the same than you.

But we can not agree with everyone. I’m sure when i give advice even if i try to not answering when i do not know. It does not remain less advice with a part of subjectivity related to my way of working. And also, a way of doing certainly related to the musical genre, there are inevitably things that we do that other musical genre will absolutely not want to reproduce/replicate in their own musical style. (even though fusion has always been the prerogative of novelty)

Analog Heat is an amazing Box :heat:

NB : Also there’s a lot of people who take part in discussions and haven’t the device. They just test it in a music shop or used 2 weeks, return it… But it’s impossible to be impressed by powerful device in less than few month :slight_smile: With Elektron gears you can be impressed after years

4 Likes

I’ll admit, I totally wrote off and disregarded the Heat when it was announced and came it. I saw a couple videos, read a couple reviews and it got a resounding “meh…who cares” in my mind and I moved on. Then, almost a year later, I happened across this video:

Yeah, I probably had a few (several) drinks in me, but my eyes and ears nearly popped out of my head. THIS WAS THE HEAT?!! OooOOhh K… now I was starting to get it. I absorbed myself into all things Heat watching every video I could find and learning it inside and out as best I could.

This video sealed the deal:

A few weeks later (a month or so ago) and I had my own. I use it all the time! Before this box, I never really understood distortion or saturation. That sound was always something to avoid and I just didn’t get it. Completely opposite now! I especially love (in gentle subtle form) it on the mix bus for mastering purposes. It adds this warmth and heft that’s so nice! I do also have some software now, primarily the Kush Omega’s that I like as well, but the Heat easily outclasses anything else I’ve tried. Just so many flavors in one box.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I agree with the overly exited tone of this writing but Heat definitely earns compliments for its sonic quality. But I would also like to praise the form factor - half rack unit is just such a good compromise between form and function. I would love to see more products fitting into the same size as Heat and Digitakt. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Cons: you will want more than one, lol so true
I finally got overbridge to work with mine and I am super pumped, best piece of elektron gear!

4 Likes

that Vergito Sound …
:mage::mage::mage:

2 Likes

one the same note - Heat has probably one of the shittiest displays ever put into the consumer product in the entire era of electronic music production. I mean, WTH?! Its so bad almost makes the screens of MK1 look great… :joy:

2 Likes

Exaggerated !
Boss RC 202 display, released in 2016…:sketchy:

Analog Drive I just received has only 2 digits too !
Direct access to sound parameters.

Won’t replace an AH, coming…soon ? :slight_smile:

@t3h :joy: :rofl: That is sadly true, one guy in a Elektron Facebook group posted a picture of his and the screen was starting to fade out on the left side.

1 Like

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I don’t like the sonic character of the Analog Heat.

That said, I had mine up for sale but i’m going to keep it. I’ll elaborate more a bit later as i’m In a rush to get out.

2 Likes

In the end I sold the Analog Heat and kept my Vermona Filter Lancet.

I’ve now bought and sold 2 Analog Heat’s as I just didn’t like the overall sound of them. I couldn’t hear any warmth or character. I just found them harsh and flat. Compared to the Filter Lancet they sounded 1 dimensional.

4 Likes

Elektron’s filters lack character and depth. You can get better sound with analogue emulation plugins.

1 Like

Plenty of useful info around here. Excellent.