Analog Heat Mk2 crashing/freezing

I am running multiple Elektron boxes through overhub into my Mac and my DAW is Logic Pro X. Running overbridge. Every other device works perfectly.

I have 1 instance of AH running on the stereo out channel in Logic and after around 10-20 minutes the AH freezes and the only way to get it running again is by powering the machine off and on again.

I have 1.20 firmware and I downloaded the latest Overbridge software. Factory reset, but still crashes.

Unfortunately I’m away from my setup for a couple of days, the only thing that I can think of that may have caused the crash is the fact that all my other Elektron devices were under one “Aggregated Device” so that they show as one interface on Logic. However, I didn’t include the AH in the “Aggregated Device” I just simply added it to my channel strip.

Maybe this caused some sort of conflict? I don’t know but it’s worth pointing out that neither Logic or any other Hardware crashed or froze, just the AH.
Also I ran the log test mode? Or something on the device and it showed no errors.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

1 Like

I’ve had other devices do this. When I dug into it, turned out that I had unintentional MIDI being sent (MIDI from all devices), and it basically confused the receiving device. This was on Windows and Ableton, so a completely different setup, but may still worth considering. Are you doing any MIDI control of the Analog Heat?

I’m not intentionally sending Midi data to the Heat, but I will check that out. Thankyou for the help.

FWIW, the free, simple-but-elegant MidiMonitor app for Mac is very useful for tracking down stray MIDI activity: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

3 Likes

How do I check this in Ableton?

AH crashed on me yesterday during a session in Ableton and I have no idea why when everything else kept running smoothly, this might be it!

Happened to me, hae to quit using it in DAW. Works like a charm OTB, so I would guess its a software issue.

People are mentioning some potential issues with AH, but if you suspect MIDI routing may be a problem, this is actually a pretty great guide: Resolving MIDI Device Issues on PC and Mac | Sweetwater

For Ableton specifically, you can look at the MIDI preferences page, and make sure MIDI inputs are only in for the hardware you wish to have MIDI route through live. I use a Keystep, so that’s my only enabled input, but all outputs are on. Also, per track, you can choose “all MIDI in” or select a particular device, and that can also help.

I have this problem with the Analog Heat MKII on Windows 10 and Ableton Live 11 when using Overbridge and audio over USB.

When I don’t touch the knobs on the device and only use the VST, everything works. But when using the hardware knobs, after a few touches the Heat stops outputting audio. The waveform preview in the VST turns from white color to grey and sometimes the Overbridge Engine displays an error popup about the USB audio buffer.

I still see the (now grey) preview waveform in the VST, so it can still read the audio input, but it does not output anything.

I don’t send or receive MIDI over USB (Sync / Track / Remote is unchecked in Ableton) for this device and I also tried disabling everything related to MIDI in the VST/in the device settings.

It’s connected through Overhub USB hub, but it also happens when connecting it directly to a blue USB port on the back of the computer. The mainboard is a MSI Z370-A PRO.

Overbridge Engine & firmware are the latest versions available.

It’s a bummer because when you want to use the VST for automation, it says you should not use the analog audio connections when you first start the plugin…

I would love to be able to help debugging this issue by using any monitoring software etc.

1 Like

hey! could you solve the problem? I do exactly the same …

Getting a similar issue. It works fine for a few seconds and then it either freezes up or drops the audio from PC to heat. Audio from Heat to PC still works and the synth I have connected to the inputs of the heat is still there.
I really tried everything I could think of:
Update drivers
Latest OS and OB version
Change USB cable
Switch USB port
Same thing for different DAWs
Factory reset on the Heat
Even tried it on a different system and it still won’t work.

Welcome to the forum. I would send a report to Elektron support, if I was you. It seems that multiple people have had this issue so there’s something not quite right here. Create an account on Elektron.se, go to Support on the drop down menu, scroll to near the bottom of the page and hit Create A Ticket. Hopefully it can be fixed with an OS update.

1 Like

Really frustrating this!
In OB mode The Heat plugin works well for a number of seconds and then drops the audio.
Adjusting various parameters in the control panel/daw gives same result.
Please fix this!

Unboxed a new Heat today and am suffering from the same issues. Latest versions of everything (except running Live 10), USB direct to PC, no other devices being used, no midi going from/to it in Ableton (midi settings disabled on both ends). Device crashes almost invariably while tweaking knobs, whether I’m recording or not. I’ve set the buffer size as low as 64 and it’s still doing it.

The longest recording I’ve managed to make was nearly 3 minutes before cutting out, but many have only gone a few seconds. Very frustrating! I have four other Elektron boxes and they all work perfectly through OB, I’ve literally never used the main outputs on some of them, they even work fine through a USB hub.

Presumably the added difficulty the Heat is having is due to sending and receiving audio at the same time, but the feature really should work by now.

Try going back to OS 1.20. That fixed it for me. The latest OS on the Heat seems to be causing a lot of people problems. I believe you can find the link for it in the Overbridge announcement when they announced that OS.

Oh cheers, will give it a go!

Can’t seem to find a download anywhere for it, found the release page but the link just redirects to the general support page. Any thoughts?

Ask Elektron to send you the Beta version. I’m testing it and it seems to be very stable. By the way, that last official OS version was the worst.

Cheers! Presumably that’s done via opening a ticket?

Or contact Support. Is it the same?

Yep a support ticket, just writing one out now. Fingers crossed they can send over a firmware version without this issue.