Analog Heat MK2 - Audio Interface Issues

I purchased an Analog Heat MK2 last year and was using it as an audio interface successfully. However recently I have had 2 issues which I believe are related to the USB port on the device but was hoping to find some clarification on either issue:

Firstly when using the unit for system audio intermittently audio will glitch and stutter on playback (similar to when you have a deep scratch on a record, the glitch in playback occurs consistently - timing wise). This issue can be solved by powering off, removing the USB from the back of the device, re inserting it and powering on. Changing the USB port on my Mac does not solve the issue.

The second issue I have encountered is random dropouts during a session in Ableton live; these are more sporadic and I can go hours, even days without issues and other times it can occur very frequently. The audio engine in Ableton switches from showing a percentage load to “OFF” and I have to re select the Analog heat as the output device. This issue is not solved by removing the USB as detailed in my first issue or by switching the USB port on my Mac. This issue occurs both when the accompanying VST is in use and when I am not using it.

I have tried re installing Overbridge and unit firmware multiple times with no improvement on either issue. I have also tried a replacement USB cable with no improvement.

As stated initially I suspect it is the USB port on the unit to blame, however if anyone can shed any further light on this I would be seriously grateful. Apologies for the long winded explanation; I wanted to include as much detail as possible.

See my system specs below and Ableton version:

Overbridge Version 2.0.30.3
Firmware 1.20

Mac Os Mojave 10.14.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-Inch, Late 2014)
3.5GHz intel Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB

Ableton Live 10.1.6

Hi @Scaramanga,

I am experiencing the same issue, the Heat MK2 is randomly disconnected as an audio output device, and I have to deselect it, and select it again to work. (Ableton)
sometimes it works for days without issue, and today, for example, it is happening every few minutes.
Could it be a faulty Heat unit?

Through the process of elimination and pure chance, I found out it was my house electrics causing the issue.

Dropouts were happening when electrical outlets were being turned on whilst the Analog Heat was in use. This was also occurring with light switches as well.

I have since bought a bus powered audio interface as an intermediate workaround until I can solve the ongoing electrical issues.

1 Like