Analog Heat MK 2 Not Processed in Ableton Export/Bounce

Hi all -

I currently have AH MK2 set to Overbridge and being used as a plugin on an audiotrack as my AH Bus, which is subsequently routed to my Master bus. I have a few of my other audio tracks running out to my AH MK2 bus and I have set my desired distortion/color being added to these tracks.

I’ve bounced the track out of Ableton, but it sounds as if the AH Bus’ distortions/color are not being applied to the bounced audio. To test this, I completely took the drive off of one bounced file, and then I turned it all the way up for another, and they sound completely identical.

I assume there’s something simple I’m overlooking here, but I didn’t find it in the AH manual.

I appreciate any help on this!

its not capable of that. (exporting)

i was disappointed about this recently as well.

the work-around i use is to just resample.

WOW - that’s insane!! Literally the entire reason I bought this was to use this to color my audio - is this device really only meant for live shows?

Also, this is going to sound super novice, but how do you achieve this desired effect through re-sampling? If you were in my situation, what would you add/subtract to the process to achieve this?

You can do it, but it just means that you have to export in real-time and not ‘bounce’ which is typically faster than real-time. I have to do this in Studio One, so I’m not quite sure of terminology and process, but I’m sure it’s possible. You’re basically just re-recording everything down to a stereo mix file. Studio One has a simple check box for this, but in Ableton it looks to be little different process.

2 Likes

yeah i was bummed also until i discovered resampling, which i never used before this cuz there wasn’t a reason too.

don’t fret tho, its fairly easy to export your heated tracks.

-make a new audio track
-select “resampling” from drop tab
-click record

note*
-best to do this in arrangement view and check the “end loop at this point” symbol in the command buttons at top.
(its next to the loop button)

that way it will record a perfect loop.
no need to crop after either.

when exporting just leave that on and you could also render as loop.

1 Like

Appreciate the info here! Sounds like resampling is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for the great detail in your response - this is a relief as I was worried there for a sec that the machine was basically useless for all intents and purposes.

So just to be clear, once you resample/rerecord (?) your audio to the new blank audio track, do you then export that individual track to get your wav/mp3 file with the heat effects applied?

yes.
its that simple.

i deleted the last part of my message.

i meant to say when you’re resampling* individual tracks and also multiple tracks make sure you don’t resample the same track twice before exporting.

i would resample hihats then later in the session resample stems (hihats, snares, and percs) and would get heat applied twice having it super loud.

i was confused at first when i would export the entire mix.

just solo or mute all others but try to keep in mind which ones are already heated so this doesn’t happen.

it gets confusing with larger sessions, especially when not renaming your tracks/keeping it tidy, like i do.

1 Like

This might help at least in the context of using Heat as a master bus processor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbu8vaGdyI

1 Like

Duly noted! Thanks for your help on this!

Thanks for sharing, I had no idea about Live’s “External Audio” feature in this video. I’m sure this will be useful in instances where I am applying AH to the master bus as you had noted.

2 Likes

Think about it like this… how would you bounce down a live drummer or guitarist? you’d record it in real time. That’s what you need to do with any analog hardware. you can’t process it like a plug-in where it’ just computes math and spits out the file. you’ll have to do it in passes like we all did before the age of instant mix downs.

4 Likes

Right! Heat is an analog processor. Things have to pass through the circuits in realtime and be recorded as such. The plug-in does control and audio routing, not processing.

1 Like

@astricii @AdamJay Thank you both - this analogy makes perfect sense and I now better understand the difference between a virtual plugin versus analog processing - I appreciate you all laying this out!

4 Likes

That EXT device reference trick is nifty.
It did nonetheless crash my session upon bounce. And it doesn’t actually run a bounce through the heat, so if the sound is breaking up, as it does in my case, it’s not going to solve overload.

The largest buffer size for heat is 512mb, whereas Ableton can run with 2gb buffers? But then heat will not pass sound.

So in my case, I just need a faster computer! Or using heat as an audio insert. I’m imagining that in doing so, the EXT device calculates the necessary track latency for you, which would already be advantageous.