Analog HEAT Instant Mastering Saturator eq and Sidechain

This topic is for the really professional lightweight well informed traveller / performer. without a labtop. If you have a labtop i advise some other Instant mastering devices with world class saturation.

We have an Analog Heat MK2, an Analog synth and a Analog drumcomputer(min 4 outs), pref with sample slots. And independent inbuilt sequencers and sampler slots, nice!

A mixer is to expensive in this example. And your (local) sound-engineer is not the communicative kind. Don’t Worry!!!

You will put the DJ back to his place, you know how to produce you dingus, thats why you got booked in the first place.

Here we go, you put your 2000,- euro travelling set on the folding table.
Drumcomputer, synth, HEAT.

Depending on how bad the situation is we will do this without a Playdifferently model 1 just to be sure. Since that would be nice and gives more options… true.

Focus, (depending on your gear, use your brain and configure it to work)

1. You take the headphone out stereo jack from your drumcomputer.
  2. The headphone out goes in the synths stereo in and makes a clean pass instead true the filter and and so on. (yes that should be on the synth pre or post. post!)
    3 Then really nice, but affordable Elektron balanced jacks go into the Analog Heat MK2, since your synth is also stereo and balanced of-course.

At this point you can control the sum output of the drumcomputer and synth. In my case there is a DRIVE function on the synth outs! We keep it really low for now. No we don’t want to scare the DJ.

Now we take 2 independent outs from the drumcomputer and think about the kind of SLAM and Articulation you want the AH VCA given true the Envelope Follower Settings. EFS! Voltage controlled activation with your kick and or snare out to exite it! (use footswitch ENV TRIG) the rest is experiment.

Just do this. drumcomputer direct kick out to AH CV in 1, direct snaredrum AH CV in 2.
In modulation set the ENVELOPS to Preset Volume.

The patch:
AMP, cleanboost, drive 20, full wet, full dry/wet, VOL = 0!
FLTR&EQ Filter NOTCH, arround 50 freq. ENV -4 LFO 0! FRQ 0 pan/ DIRT 0! EQ lo 40/ hi 50.
ENV, FLW + 10.5 ATK 0! REL 100 TRIG 80 BASE 50 WIDTH 47 DEST1 Preset vol. DEPTH 127
LFO is for advanced users next time ok. Just put DEST1 to NONE.

A. plug in the stereo outs of the AH into what the Sound-Engineer provides.
B. Since i use analog gear the settings on the input sensitivity should be on LOW but do check!
C. Put your master vollume on 70%
D. Leave the ON activation of circuit AH off for now. Remember do not scare the DJ.
E. Putt the vollume slowley up and look into the eyes of the Sound-Engineer…
F. Keep looking… then press ON.
G. Ok if he /she is making signs that look destressed lower the AH main volume untill he smiles.
H. We have on thing (wel in this story its getting long now) The filter is still off but we already have put it in notch at arround freq 50. Activate!! Use the frquency and resonance for tweeking what suits your Funktion one soundsystem best…

FIN…

P.s. there are lots of variations possible. It’s possible to pre-order this patch for 899,- :slight_smile:

Now what if the sound engineer is talking to someone, drinking or doing something else or is nowhere to be found at all? :slight_smile:

1 Like

He will spill his drink all over the mixer of the sound shock you will give him haha

Which will give the mixing desk a special mojo to rival the dry sound of the dj. I get it now. Good strategy! Will try at the next gig… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes he is so happy to hear his funktion one set tuned so wel with the notch filter. Wow he never heard that before… focus on that 50frequency… pump it!

There’s also the IMC as an option, lots of great products available for this use case

1 Like

Yes i would love to get more info and discussion with users, in my humble opinion it looks more a studio or live device for laptop performers. Working with a laptop you probably have more time to tweak during your set to get the most out of it with every track. Or your digital performance is already processed and you can leave the IMC alone and use it for that analog sauce.

I think the AHmk2 add’s more to it as a part of your performance, like an instrument.

1 Like