Analog Heat FX making noise lately

noise normal?
I have only the amp active. Zero drive, zero dirt.
(To better hear it, I have level and mix turned up all the way)
Noise is significantly louder on ‘Clean Boost, Saturation, Enhance’ than on ‘Mid Drive.’
I have already replaced the power supply.
There is no signal at the ‘IN’.
This is new to me. Or have I overlooked it before?
At what settings - without clipping input and output levels - do you hear noise on ‘Clean Boost’?

1 Like

Are all the fx modules turned off? It’s not the tape noise on warble running through a compressor with make up gain on or something like that?

1 Like

All Off. And more noise at left Side

Yeah hit up and contact Elektron, I’m sure they’ll get back quickly, I suspect it’s a hardware fault unfortunately

1 Like

…dunno how much u pushed that final recording gain to make ur noiseghosts in the machine “visible”…but be aware of the factors proper gainstaging/ground noise floor ratio/truu analog circuit…

what’s left of that floornoise ratio if ur processing a realworld audio signal…?
heat has a magic boost…if u don’t run anything through it and ur actual monitoring levels are somewhere all over the place with no personal reference, it’s easy to suddenly think, oh, what’s that noise there in the background…what’s the background…is this the background…wonder why, wonder what…can happen a lot…

u can only judge for real, if ur actually processing something and u make sure it’s input gainstaging setting is correct…if u experience any noisefloor that’s overshining ur signal, only then somethings’ off…

1 Like

Have you tried unplugging the cables from the input? Is the noise still there?

1 Like

I had the exact same issue and it was also lot worse on the left channel. The issue could sometimes be ok after not being used for a while but it would come back maybe after 30 min of using it. It was usually the same circuits so I suspect something in the hardware. I did several factory resets and it didn’t fix the issue.

I contacted Elektron and sent in my unit and waiting for them to fix it. :relaxed:

1 Like

Also had this issue. Noise in the left channel that persisted even with nothing connected, was worse set to Rough Crunch.

Returned the AH+FX to Andertons for repair who sent it off to Elektron. After a couple of months with no progress and no replacement in stock at the time, Andertons offered to exchange for a different machine and I nabbed an e25 Digitakt as I felt I wasn’t using the AH+FX enough to hold on to it but it’s interesting to see other people with this issue. Maybe a faulty batch of components in the early production run?

1 Like

Update:
I had to argue with the seller for a long time… Finally he took it back and I got a replacement.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. I got a replacement directly from Elektron when i sent it to them. Seems to be an issue with some of the early units… at least my guess.

I noticed that I have a heavy noise floor with the round fuzz distorsion, with 3 dB more on right channel. On other dist, I don’t have noise floor except the High Gain (which I expect) but it’s the same of both channels and much quieter than round fuzz. I guess this is not the expected behavior… Don’t want to send it back to Elektron :frowning:

…can’t speak for the heatFX version…but on my “normal” heat with no digital ingredients involved, all groundfloor noise is as expected, if running on empty, only displaying a standard groundnoise floor ratio, which does not differ from circuit to circuit apart from higain…which is also undetectable if the unit is gained properly and handling any signal input…

Ok, so my unit should be faulty… Thank you for the quick answer, I will open a support ticket :slight_smile:

…subjectively…higain has more groundfoor noise…if it’s equal on both sides, if both inputs are involved, it should be fine…and as mentioned, i can’t speak for any digital artifacts, that might come into play on the fx version…

1 Like

There is an analog mode on AH+FX that disables all the digital FX and routing and just let an analog sound path. I will try again with this mode but honestly I don’t think the digital FX are involved into this noise floor problem (I would have it on every dist circuits in this case I think).

…if u experience obviously more groundfloor noise on one channel than the other, while can assure both input channels are connected to the same source, something calibration finetuning is off…
test it one last time, with no input source attached…if the problem persists, u’ll need to get it checked, i’m afraid…but i think, that’s “just” an adjustment fix, no real hw problem…

I already tested it with no inputs, so it’s just the noise floor of the circuit.
Reading your answer, I was wondering if there was a calibration process (like the Analog Four and Analog Rytm) ? If so, it could maybe fix this little issue. I will check the manual !