Analog Heat +FX: Can you do feedback routing distortion?

Hey everyone!

I am constantly on a distortion quest and what I love to do is process a whole drum buss with distortion, feedback loop to get tonal signals that fight for space against the kick and lower frequencies. The best way to show what I am talking about is this demo for a pack I made last year smashing a 606 into eurorack modules, specifically the Gothermans ADDAC611 VC Tube Filter which does awesome feedback screams using feedback loop and filter resonance pushing back into a tube:

I have tried to get this in my Dawless rig (not eurorack) using RML Electron Fuzz and Bastl Instruments Bestie mixer. Works great but im missing the other components that are more technical such as filter, bandpass, eq, delay lines etc. I could do all this with more boxes and routing but I want an all in one box so I could mimic Ableton’s new roar plugin, Izotope trash and Arturia Coldfire.

So far Roar has been the winner, so much so I am thinking of turning my Dawless rig into an Hybrid rig.

So my question is, can I get similar results from Analog Heat +FX, has anyone got close?

1 Like

Sadly, there is no option to do internal feedback in the AH+FX (but I think I will send a feature request to add a feedback module after reading your post).
This is possible to smash everything together with the comp, bits and heat parts but it won’t create this “drums vs feedback” feeling we can hear in the last part of your track.
Maybe a small eurorack case with a Bastl Dark Matter could be a good option to achieve what you’re looking for ? (but it’s mono)

FYI, the question is for the AH+FX.

If elektron added this as a feature update id buy two units straight away! Seriously. I want controlled chaos haha.
Modular gets it for sure and guitar pedals too, but I want to be able to create complex distortion feedback presets for each song in my live set, with CC firing from digi or syntakt sequencer to get things really moving with automation and step locks, basically Roar in hardware form!

2 Likes

To be fair, I second what he said anyway! Feedback in Syntakt also very very welcome, cause we have it almost setup for it with the FX block

1 Like

On the Syntakt, it’s already possible by using one of the stereo outputs send back into the inputs. It’s not as flexible as a true feedback option because the output volume is linked to the feedback intensity but it can works. Userfriendly did a video with this setting.
In a way, it’s also possible on AH+FX by routing the output into the input but then you obviously loose the ability to process external sounds :sweat_smile: But it can be interesting as a self chaotic feedback machine that can be sequenced with program changes. I once tried a patch based on this idea and it worked great !

I guess I can’t read, sorry for that. :rofl:

I am genuinely considering going full circle and turning my dawless setup into a hybrid. My minds trying to figure out possibilities and potential pit falls.

One exciting prospect is midi mapping parameters in Ableton on Roar and Spectral Resonator using say the Digitakt Midi tracks, while also processing the audio. This means I could trig lock software parameters essentially creating an FX extension that can become part of the Elektron workflow.

If set up well I could just close laptop lid and forget about it to maintain what I love about the dawless setup.

I edited my first post, I talked about AH+FX, not Syntakt, sorry for the mess ! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s all good! I do it all the time but for me I end up filming YouTube tutorials and then realise right after a massive edit session that I called something by the wrong name :joy::man_facepalming:

Syntakt could definitely do with a feedback option, I feel like Elektron need to study what others are doing with hardware and software because they have an opportunity to make some truly wild stuff in terms of processing.

2 Likes

A small mixer with a send or two will make working with feedback on any device much easier, if it has EQ so much the better. It really opens up the options and gives quick control that’s very necessary for feedback work.