Analog Heat Filter

Hey everyone.

So i was wondering if the filter section on the analog heat can act like a sidechain filter for the detector circuit meaning if it is possible to use the analog heat like a single band of a multi band processor and using the filter tell the device “only apply distortion above 100hz” ?

Not possible, I’m afraid. However what you can do is use the envelope follower function to create movement in other ways, for example increasing the depth of the distortion every time a signal loud enough hits to trigger the envelope. There’s a lot of fun paths to explore in the Heat despite the lack of sidechain.

3 Likes

The envelope follower has a hp and lp filter so you can determine on what band the envelop is generated. Set the depth to negative and destination to drive.

This way you can make the drive respond on anything but sub frequencies for example.

You can also use the filter and dry/wet to mix the saturated high frequency content with the dry signal leaving the low end intact.

10 Likes

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Much obliged.

1 Like

and with the +FX you can do the same idea but use the Bass Focus block, turn the bass frequency off and turn it into a high pass then you still get the full controls of the analog filter.

But I don’t have a +fx version :sob:

For now the +Fx is out of reach financially .
Too much gear purchased this year.

What is the difference to the mk1+2 versions
If you would summarize ?

Is it really “better”? As in , is the analog saturation circuit better quality?
Cause I don’t care about the fx section at all tbh. My workflow is using the fx in my daw.
I only want it as a coloring box

The difference between 1 and 2 is aesthetics pretty much. The only big thing is the screen is larger and displays slightly more on the Mk2, you get more animations to show what’s going on with the LFO, for example. Also it’s more visible at different angles. If you’re planning on mostly using overbridge is definitely doesn’t matter.

The actual sound coming out of it is the same in all three Analog Heats (except of course the +FX has the effects section).

1 Like

Ok cool.

Hmm overbridge i have never tried tbh. I only have a Samples+Cycles from Elektron
for now.
I want the Analog Heat just for subtle mastering-coloring-mixing thingies.
The interface is a bit overkill for my purpose. I would much prefer they brought out a dedicated
stereo saturation unit that concentrates on saturation and not having Fx.
With physical knobs for the most important things so I don’t need to dive into menus and displays.
Like the Elysia Karacter but with Sidechain flexibility. Maybe I am spoiled by the Plugin world but I think every single device that you use on a master should have SC flexibility.
Not only High pass in order to leave the low end untouched but also a Low pass in order to leave the high end untouched. Some hihats sound bad when distorted would be one example.
The “full range” approach to me is ignoring how much subbass music is out nowadays. It is not up to date.
But maybe it’s just me. Dunno

Overbridge basically just turns the unit into a VST plugin. It sends the audio to and from the unit over USB while not messing with your audio interfaces connections (technically you can only have one audio interface working on windows at a time but some drivers support multiple, but the results are varied).

But anyways, if you use Overbridge you get a much better visual representation. And yeah it does have side chaining you just filter out the bands you don’t want to side chain, but that won’t stop the device from coloring the whole signal if it’s on the master. So splitting the master signal into two (on ableton using an FX rack) you can put a HP filter before the Heat on one lane so you’re only effecting above a certain band. Or like @DaveMech mentioned use the Heats HP filter to cut out the low end and adjust the amount with the mix knob.

1 Like

Ok it looks like I won’t be able to avoid getting one I see …

I considered this already but am hesitant as to what happens with phase.
In my logic (haven’t tried it) one has more chances to introduce phase issues-smearing etc when routing one signal outside the computer, through a hardware and back and mix it in real time with another copy of the signal. Or am I concerned and overthinking without reason? Have you tried it ?