Analog Heat + DJing = True?

Hello good people,

I just recently got an AH MKII for the home studio and love the thing, it sounds amazing.
I was wondering if someone’s ever used it in a club setting for DJing, after the mixer. I’m throwing a party at the end of the month and my Ecler Nuo 2.0 doesn’t have a filter, which would be kind of nice to have. The EQ might also come in handy. Is this a very dumb idea? Anyone ever tried it?

2 Likes

it’s a great idea!

2 Likes

I miss my Ecler Nuo 2.0. I used to use a Pioneer EMX-1000 and RMX with it later on. As well as an electrix filter queen I have for years. Probably one of the best compact dj mixers feature wise. Loved the Eq kills.

I don’t any experience with the analog heat though.

I’ve had great success using one to DJ between vinyl and laptop jams, gives everything a nice cohesive tone.

1 Like

The only thing I would be concerned about is accidentally piercing a hole in everyone’s ear drums with the resonance on the filter turned up too high. I might put a sticker that means “don’t go past here”.

3 Likes

I would definitely use a limiter when messing with this kind of gear on the master bus!

2 Likes

Yes please put a limited on the master buss. You never know when the resonance will creep up and shred the speaker cones. Certain fast transients in a song will make the resonance go wild

limiter for sure! i was under the assumption that the mix would still go to FOH.

Any serious venue tends to have limiters built into the system

Yep, usually compressors so if you drive the bass then the whole volume of the system goes down,

With earpiercing high frequencies a limiter won’t help too much. So being careful with the resonance when using the AH live is very very important.

There may be some that do this, but it’s not my experience. Different frequencies are usually (should be) tuned and squashed by differing amounts, depending on the input source, the venue shape and size, sound emanation, etc etc.

Indeed, unpleasantness is always easy to achieve if you don’t know what you’re doing!

Jamming with a friend (he uses Traktor and S4 synced via midi) I am routing my AR and A4 and his S4 through my AH so yes good idea
Gives that super extra punch - mostly as compressor :wink:

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!

As Vanillasun and santhrax mention, cohesiveness between acts is a good argument for the AH - one will play from laptop, one live with an Octatrack, and myself + 1 with vinyl. I thought very subtle AH warming might be helpful here.

But the resonance on this thing is mental, so I share the worries of some of you with this being a cause for concern for ears and PAs alike. Perhaps I’ll just cover that pot with duct tape. The AH can go into some really strange places and that’s not what I’m interested in using it for while DJing, subtlety being the main goal here.

That’s a nice idea I feel. But maybe using it in the most subtle way to add a hue on the master channel. That could be nice. Please try and let us know.

Though of course I would not mess with the filter resonance while playing.