Analog four mk2 or bass station II and other synth

I personally find it really difficult to run my DT (or my ST) at the same time as the A4. Something about the different form factors and layouts really trips me up. I can do ST and DT simultaneously, but ST/DT and A4 breaks me. You could sequence A4 from DT ot mitigate that, but then you don’t get to use A4’s parameter slides, arp, etc and in my opinion that’s where half the value of the synth lies - I find it kind of boring if I’m sequencing it externally. Or maybe you’re just better at dealing with the 2 together and it’s not a problem at all! If you do really want an A4, get it used. Even MkIIs sometimes go for less than $1,000USD if you’re patient and if it’s a more recent model it should still be repairable under the warranty should something go wrong.

Peak was my first “big” synth and I’ll probably never sell it unless I have to for financial reasons. Not sure you need it with the Virus though unless you just really want another poly.

TLDR: from the synths you mentioned, I’d go with the BS2 + DT or maybe Peak. I might also suggest the Syntakt f you haven’t looked at that one :slight_smile:

I don’t have the bass station 2 but from what I know these are totally different machines, one, the A4 being a very very deep analog synth, deep to the point that you will spend endless hours on it, it has kits which can be confusing when coming from a DT, and 4 voices + cv + fx tracks, so it can cover a LOT. the BS2 in the other hand seems more like a traditional monosynth with presets. So the question might be, what do you want to do with that additional synth? If it’s just for bass, I’d say go with the BS2, or play with single cycle wave form with your DT. Just my two cents but getting plenty of new gear generally doesn’t improve efficiency because the time you could have spend on actually making music is spent on learning your new gear. Anyway good luck!

1 Like

Yep, same kind of question here, actually: what are you looking for? Mono? Poly? Both? Keyboard or not? Or just looking for spending some money? :smiley: No offense meant!

2 Likes

The SE-02 is another great alternative to consider, particularly if you can pair it with a Mk1 OT and stay within budget.

2 Likes

Peak is a great synth and is more of a ‘traditional’ poly than the A4 which you could view as 4x mono’s with a poly mode. BS2 is more of a traditional mono but is a great sounding synth IMO. A4 is prob the deepest of the three followed by the Peak then the BS2. It horses for courses and depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve got all three (AK rather than A4 mk2 which I’d like to pick up someday) and they’re all fab synths with different strengths and weaknesses. Good news is they’re all in current production so if you can get the chance to test drive them I’d say go for it.

wanted a mono synth to go with my dt and virus and at first the four was interesting to also get some good analog sound but now im curious if i could mbt just get a bass station and a different mono or poly analog synth 2 or mby soomme fm

you think i should get an octa on top of my dt?

yes this what i was thinking 2 things 2 play around with instead of one and i already have the elektron sequencer

1 Like

i dont know if you saw but i do already have the DT mby i should get the bs and see whats next

Between the OT and DT you have a total of 16 MIDI tracks, so you can fully utilize the Virus. I like to think of the OT more as a streaming audio processor than a sampler. It is both, but it’s not just a bigger better DT.

The A4 is a fine choice, but I feel like an OT would allow you to explore more sonic territory.

… recently had a Dreadbox Typhon in my hands, it has total recall and 3 effects build-in (including a folder) …

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw that you have it, that’s the context in which I was giving advice :slight_smile:

To be frank, the answer to your inquiry depends on your needs. If I was in your shoes - having your gear, but my needs - I would choose some characterful mono synth.

For example, I am collecting right now portable setup from all my current gear, to have one portable setup in addition to two different studios that I have now. And that setup will contain at least Digitone and Syntakt, probably also Octatrack to mix and mangle them, but right now I am exercising and learning them both via Overbridge. I will probably suplement it with Modal 001, Behringer K-2 and/or Neutron. My needs with that setup are to perform both goa and psybient.

I wouldn’t go with Peak unless playing it traditionally via keyboard or with DAW. I have Summit and I like it very much, but - with my taste - it needs to be played from keys, otherwise I would look elsewhere. I would encourage you to look at the way that you want to play it to get the most from any poly synth. But that’s my take - I sometimes play my OB-6 and Prologue with sequences input with one finger so that’s that. But then I am obviously underutilising them. So that’s my general take on poly synth.

Regarding character mono synths, I think that there are some good advices here. K-2 and other semi modular synths would give you new flavours. You have to think, if you can live without presets. I would add B’s Neutron to consideration, as it has plenty on board (plus dirty delay) and different character than K-2.

If you need presets… There was SE-02 mentioned. So it has presets, it has great sound, and delay! I will add that Modal 001 as a novelty - it goes where most synths cannot go, it has unique and (oh boy!) organic sound. And has that special thing that it is bi timbral and each voice is hard panned, so one can use different presets per channel. In that setup it is great to play via sequencer for either layered mono voices or as two mono synths. I could talk a lot about Modal 001, but it’s not time nor place for that. Just giving you some food for thought.

I will reserve new paragraph for A4. My brain has similar wiring with @m0ld in this regard. I have A4 and RYTM and they have somehow different workflow than my Digitone and Syntakt (I don’t have Digitakt… yet!). This is Elektron and this is Elektron, but some differences give different expectations and that, while being in flow, can actually derail my process. But A4 is also unique synth, with possibility to pass one voice into another might get one thinking about doing multi peak sounds, format like experiments, with SVF and then another one and then low pass ladder, just using two voices, this idea can be executed in stereo! I actually have A4 MK2 and A4 Keys. And while I always prefer keyboards to desktops, I actually feel that MK2 sounds better than Keys. And my Keys is ready to be sold. Although… I will miss its perfect form.

Probably that’s it from me.

I wish you to be happy and fulfilled with your decision.

Cordially!

1 Like

Hi! We still waits for A4 actual FW update :frowning:
Analog Rytm somehow has a bigger love. If I’ve knew that A4 has not retrigs/ratchets then I’ve didn’t bought it! It’s good as a basic sketch groove box. It has no any MPE or Poly Aftertouch as well.
No samples (although I believe it could be there).
Personally I’ve decided that I’ll not buy any other Elektron gear before they will make actual updates for their old devices! I don’t like this almost “beta consumery” style.

Two things.

1). The analog 4 has had a plethora of updates since release, that now it’s a completely different machine. There was a time when the sequencer didn’t even transmit midi.
It came out in 2012, so is the older machine out of the two you mention, so it will have had more ‘love’ due to the longevity of the device.
Elektron are famous for the continuous support of products, and I have no doubt that the A4 will have further updates in its lifetime. You just need to be patient and accept that the other machines will get updates and the owners of those machines are likely saying the same thing as you are.

1. Never. Never ever. Never buy a device for what you want it to do. Only buy for what it does do. You’ll be a lot happier.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

A fun read.

Look, I’ve bought A4 MK2 from second hands locally. What I’ve expected is the fact what I’ve heard about Elektron Octatrack: “it’s a wonderful sequencer with many tracks, MIDI support” and etc.
So… I was actually expecting that retrigs is a basic thing! :)) It was 2022. Not 2002! :slight_smile:
Do you understand my light pun?
Of course if I’ve knew about any gear that has only four voices (multitimbral but who cares in general) but not having full MIDI support in 2022 for around 1000$ then my reaction was only like “twist my index finger at temple”. I could buy a used DSI Tetr4 locally. I’ve literally seen it for ~400$
Yeah, I know that it’s not very easy to use but it has a neat sound.
If going further… I could buy (few years ago) Alesis Andromeda A6 locally for ~3k. But I’ve had no place in my room for it :expressionless:

I would say that since you have a Virus for poly, get something that shines for mono.

• Roland SE-02: FAT FAT FAT sound. Analog heaven. HORRIBLY SMALL KNOBS
• Bass Station II: also really nice sounding, nice to have a keyboard
• Circuit Mono Station: I prefer this one over the BSII because the internal sequencer is super fun and can do sound-locking, polymeter, random play - and all the bright LEDs and pads and illuminated smoked plastic potentiometer shafts are just so fun to use.

Don’t know what to say to you fella.

Have a picture of me in my new reading glasses. Might make you a bit happier.

2 Likes

Great look! :nerd_face:
I look with glasses not so good :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like