Analog Four Mk1 people - how are your screens in 2023?

The current prices on the Mark 1 Analog Four are very seductive now (although I’m not much of a buyer these days).

BUT … I’ve read a lot, here and elsewhere, about the screens developing problems, and what’s involved in turning up the brightness trimmer or buying and soldering in a new third party screen.

If you’ve still got a Mark 1 … how’s the screen now?

1 Like

I sold my early serial A4 almost two years ago and the screen was still good. Hopefully the Elektronaut who bought it can chime in.

(That’s @cold_fashioned down below, in case it isn’t clear)

1 Like

Thanks for that!

1 Like

I think the greater concern is the Mk2 OLED displays. My MD, MnM, AK are all good. My OT Mk2 (very early serial) is good too. I use my Elektrons lightly, sadly. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again. I hadn’t even considered that the mk2 A4 might have screen issues. The ones I’ve seen in Youtubes look fine so far.

If I’m hearing you right, you’re saying an OLED has a finite lifespan by nature… if there’s some specific problem cropping up with some Mark 2 Analog Fours, I would be curious to know. I thought a Mark 2 would be the safe choice, although no way I’m spending that much anyway.

1 Like

Check the threads here, my only Mk2 is the OT and it is in good shape, but lower miles than some of the more active folks here.

Maybe there are backlight issues because there are a few threads of ppl replacing the screens on the MDs and MnMs, but mine are fine.

I do believe that lifespan is an issue with OLED or maybe was with early OLEDs.

1 Like

Fwiw I have an AK and the screen seems fine to me!

2 Likes

Mine’s good. I bought it used so I don’t know exactly how old the unit is, but the screen’s fine

2 Likes

On my A4 MK I everything is fine.

On my AR MK I sometimes appears a black bubble. But when the device is on for several hours it disappears.

1 Like

A bit sluggish but I bought it second had so not sure how it was as new!

Seems to improve the more the unit warms up for me but I have considered attempting a screen upgrade, perhaps with and inverted replacement screen. (white on black).

1 Like

I’m thinking about buying the A4 and Rytm MK1 and do the white on black display mod.

Does anyone know where to buy these? I saw it on reverb but they are asking 125,- for it.

My Mk1 is fine, but AK (same display) has a shadow in the middle of the display.

AR fades to lighter grey towards the right.

1 Like

Find the part and check eBay, AliExpress

I haven’t fired up the A4 in a little bit, but as far as I can remember, the screen looked good. I might be able to plug it in later today to do a more in-depth check.

2 Likes

Had a quite big black spot on the left side, (bad luck, too long pauses of using or cold in a cabin?) that went away mostly after sometimes letting turned on over night. But some increased ghosting there remained, also a bit ghosting on the right. Can‘t decide if i should send to sweden.

Somehow i find the knobs a little bit less sticky/strange (imo) than dn, trigs also.
Still couldn‘t decide if or what knobs to order for dn/ot ( aluminium from thonk or russian user here or i like normal hard plastic knobs a la aira tr8 or allen heath zed mixer) Would be for switzerland…

2 Likes

My Mk1 screens are great. And if they ever fail, replacements are fairly cheap.

2 Likes

I have an AR mk1, manufactured in 2014-07, the screen (and everything else) is perfectly normal.

1 Like

AK here, used regularly, with perfect screen.

2 Likes

Mine is perfectly fine.

2 Likes