Analog Four/Keys OS 1.40: bug reports

I’ve reported, but if you report a different scenario it’ll clarify it needs a fix imho

1 Like

here’s something i’ve not noticed before, dunno if it’s new… the FX and CV tracks have discrete page selections (CV can be on the LFO page, FX can be on the Env page) but the 4 synth tracks will only show the last page selected on any of the 4 tracks. shouldn’t each synth track have its own discrete selection too?
e.g. If you only have an arp active on track 1, and that was the last edited page, switching synth tracks will show the arp page too. can lead to editing the wrong synth track, and makes live performance (without performance macros) trickier than it needs to be.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I’ve just tested and finally with new project works fine :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks to clearly reponse. With new project the behavior it seems normal.

1 Like

I shall document an oversight as a bug here and send a ticket in any case

The benefit of a graphical envelope display is somewhat diminished by having misrepresentations of the actual envelope profile

It’s one thing to omit to reflect the gradient profile Lin/exp etc, I have no complaints there although it could’ve been nice to reflect the curves a little if practical

However, not reflecting the fundamentally different nature of the envelope profiles 8,9,10 and 11 is in my opinion unhelpful especially when the solution is so easy

These profiles all start at Maximum (not minimum or current) and the normal Attack rise time is effectively a delay time (at full amount) - these are good for many sound design scenarios, however, the graphic really misrepresents the reality, especially two those unfamiliar with the profile

The solution is easy, for those profiles adopt a start point which goes from Ymax to the onset of decay, instead of Ymin, i.e. remove the gradient and show the more ‘gate’ like profile

A simple example of one suggested improved profile is shown, it may need to be tweaked, but the concept is trivial and helps the visualisations being introduced

This applies to three Envelopes of course

IMG_20191023_102812-01

amended to

IMG_20191023_102812-01%20copy

[Ticketed]

3 Likes

Isn’t the attack a fade in?
When attack is at 0 the decay is the at the top so max volume.
Isn’t this how it is on most synths ?

1 Like

those envelopes are different, you’re proving my point, the graphic is misleading folk

The A4 has exceptional envelope flexibility, those last 4 envelope shapes are super handy, especially within the CV realm

That’s why the new visual is selling the functionality short

3 Likes

I still haven’t sussed the difference between envelope types properly yet.
Oh yeah the ones with the dot stay at maximum no matter how you set it don’t they?
I know what you mean now

not quite

The ones with dots will reset to the profile as if the current envelope profile had finished, the ones without dots will pick up the envelope height/voltage wherever it is

The dot offers a reset, it means consistency wherever the existing envelope may be at, but it can lead to clicks, therefore having the non-dotted can be good because the envelope rolls from old to new ‘analogue style’ - there are pros and cons, but it definitely relates to the zero/minimum value, not the maximum

The 8>11 profiles are like the default profiles in the AR which are like Hold Decay - the beauty of 8>11 is that the attack is like a variable/fixed gate length, there is NO rise, they start at full beans or look at it like a hold-high amount(time based) (try with sustain zero) to see the benefit

the envelope profile(via attack=delay) can ignore the gate length of the sequencer and be plocked or LFO’d etc - again super useful as a CV modifier

4 Likes

Also I Noticed the speed of the level encoder Is still way too fast and hasn’t been fixed like other parameters when setting the swing on both A4 and Rytm

2 Likes

Yeah, Still didn’t know much about the different types I’ll spend a bit of time to check this tomorrow

1 Like

On my A4 mk1 when I randomize a track with [AMP]+YES, when I want to go back with [AMP]+NO the value for decay always goes to 64, sustain to 100, and release to 8… the values don’t go back to the previous state. This happens to me with every track sound, always back to these same values.

I’m trying it on the filter, same thing. Returns only to same fixed values.

Ah seems I have to save the kit first, it works now! :grin:

It returns to the saved state, not the last state

2 Likes

Ha yes, thanks! Just found it out!

1 Like

I still hold out the hope that, one day, there may be an option to add the Digitone’s ‘every pattern is unique’ idea. This could lose the kit idea completely, for those of us who prefer the new way. It would take care of this kind of thing neatly.

2 Likes

The kits are really useful. not sure why u would want to have to adjust the volume across every pattern in a song if you want to make a slight change.
Pretty sure You can save an individual kit to each pattern so that it works like a Digitakt anyhow

As I said, it’s not for everyone so would need to be an option for those who prefer how the Digitone works. Elektron are gradually catching up to functionality of, say, Korg’s Electribes and which suits me personally (e.g. tempo per pattern, named patterns, each pattern unique). YMMV.

I’m pretty sure you want a feature that already exists.
by saving a kit on each pattern it makes it unique…
Plus I owned an electribe sampler esx1 and would say elektron is already far better

Working for the internal keyboatd but not for an external MIDI key… you can’t pass MIDI from external keyboard to an external synth