Analog Four Broken usb port

Hi ive just bought a second hand Analog Four for £430

Upon checking it i think the USB is broken ive tried connecting the Analog to Elektron Transfer it seems to recognise its a Analog Four but wont actually connect and it is saying 1 error in the test mode

Luckly i paid through Paypal so im covered

Just was wondering is it worth a partial refund and get it repaired or just send back and get another?

Has anyone got one repaired in the past if so how much am i looking at?

Thanks

You have checked your USB cable haven’t you?

Yes but it isnt the original cable

If you were shipped a broken synth I would just return it and buy a working one instead, no downtime.

As an amateur, I’ve replaced a few broken USB ports, but they can be a bit heat sink-y and probably not the best to learn soldering on for a first project.

1 Like

Right after using a Elektron cable it works and connects and transfers

But its still showing in test mode 1 Errors + Audio 4 anyone have ideas what that could mean?

Also when i use the Record Play or stop buttons it switches to the copy clear paste track and i cannot get it off any ideas how to solve this problem? Could it be the function button causing the problems?

Thanks

Well just glad the usb cable fixed some of your issues. No idea what the erros mean…can you ask Elektron? Searched on the forum?

You could put in a ticket to Elektron support. Follow this link and scroll to the bottom to create a ticket: Support | Elektron

2 Likes

If the function button was stuck (which could be the case), it should also mute tracks instead of selecting them, synth parameters would behave different, e.g. osc pitch would snap to zero or move in increments of 12 semitones when you rotate the encoder.

Does that happen?

But yeah, best to create a ticket.

Hi guys thanks for the advice

I have put a ticket into support waiting for a reply

Also "If the function button was stuck (which could be the case), it should also mute tracks instead of selecting them, synth parameters would behave different, e.g. osc pitch would snap to zero or move in increments of 12 semitones when you rotate the encoder.

Does that happen?"

I will check later when i get home

Thanks

2 Likes

After playing with it some more i think its a actual problem with the track buttons i can see track 1 2 3 buttons are depressed more than the other buttons also track 2 button doesnt register sometimes and its causes the play record stop buttons to mess up and say clear track 2 sound, copy trk 2 sound etc also i notice track 3 sometime triggers track 2 nightmare

Think i will send it back unless i get a big partial refund

Thanks

Wow, between this and the wrong power supply, sounds like you managed to find a real dud seller. I’d be returning it for a full refund… who knows what else is wrong with it.

1 Like

I think ive managed to sort the button problem out i took it apart and gave them a squirt with contact cleaner and it seems to have sorted the problem out for now will test it more tomorrow

Also the sellers sending the correct psu tomorrow

So if all goes well its just a usb port to repair but it works as it is so not to bad fingers crossed

I hope you didn’t pay much for it!

I paid £430 inc P&P for it

What would u say its worth as im going to ask for a partial refund

Thanks

That’s about what I’ve seen a decent condition A4 sell for here in Australia.

Honestly if you do want to keep it I’d suggest asking for half of that back, because it seems likely that it hasn’t been treated well, and may need some further repairs/replacements from Elektron in the future. Just my opinion though.

3 Likes

I’d just send it back and buy another that isn’t faulty, doesn’t need contact cleaner, and comes from a seller who sends the right PSU in the first place.

Yeah, sounds pretty wild. I’d return it. It’s not like A4s are rare…
Who knows what will crap out next?! At least the issues you had with rec, play and stop buttons triggering copy, clear and paste operations should be looked at before you decide to keep it.

Thanks for the replies guys :+1:

Just had a reply from Elektron the audio error could be a cpu problem that is not cheap to repair

Hi,

If there’s an error with the audio then it’s possible that the CPU might be failing. The USB connector is on the CPU board as well.

The cost of a repair is 50 EUR / 50 USD / 40 GBP per started 30 minutes. Spare parts and shipping are not included in this price. It’s highly unusual that repairs exceed 30 minutes. Turnaround for repairs is 1-3 weeks after we receive the unit.

Cost for a USB connector is 1.60 GBP, a new CPU would be 324 GBP

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

Seriously, get a refund. It’s not worth it. People need to stop getting away with this stuff. Especially at that price.