Analog Four as first hardware synth?

if you’re not afraid of learning curve – it’s super cool.
my 1st hardware synth was PreenFM2… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought this, thought I wasn’t an ‘FM guy’… and the Digitone was the last Elektron unit I got hold of… I couldn’t have been more wrong about it… it’s nothing like what I imagined it was going to be like, it’s so much better!

I love the A4… but, I would say my favourite synth for getting properly into synthesis has been the Novation Peak. I would recommend something with a more ‘knob per function’ approach, like the Peak, over the A4 if you want an intro to hardware synths.

I have a Deepmind 12D, love that too… don’t get too hung up on other peoples ideas of ‘problems/faults’… it would take you years to master the Deepmind (whatever the BS about the oscillators is) and you would never outgrow it in 100 years.

Anyway, my take- getting something that’s ‘hands on’, then you’ll realise the difference between using Omnisphere and a true hardware synth.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Going for knob per function makes sense as I guess this is what I am after, rather than the sound itself.

I would say the 4 voice are enough, you get 2 osc and 2 sub oscillators that can be set to useful ratios per voice, plus dual filters. Add in parameter slide on the sequencer and you can get some interesting morphing going on and take up a ton of space with 4 voices. If you add in sampling it on the DT you will have the ability to have a lot going on if needed.

I suppose it depends a bit on how comfortable you are in your soft synths?

I suppose another to look at is the DSI Pro2, fully knobby with wavetables and superwaves 4 voice paraphonic… it is a really wild synth for sound design with those classic filters. I kind of put it and the A4 in a similar category of wild sound design with just enough voices to get into pads. You might end up sampling the Pro2 a bit more because it isnt multi timbral but it pretty quickly became my preferred synth just due to its fully knobby interface and deep editing options.

3 Likes

No. If you don’t need the Elektron sequencer above everything else, than don’t get A4 as first synth. For the same money, get Peak, Hydrasynth, or some classics from Moog, DSI, etc.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good approach, since you already have useful VSTs at your disposal.

Since you’re into sound design, this thread has good recommendations for that. Prophet 12 probably gets a mention there but that would be my choice. :wink:

1 Like

Personally I don’t like the sound of Microfreak, from what I have heard online. It sounds a bit digital and too confined. I am also sure that I will dislike its keybed and end up not liking the synth entirely :slight_smile:

1 Like

A4 was my first Elektron and I hated it. Then I got a Rytm, learned the workflow and wished I’d kept it!

I’d probably start looking into an Access Virus module if you’re into sound design with subtractive/wavetable methods. Plenty of voices, multi-timbral and deep sound design potential. Incredible bang for buck. That said, it can’t really do anything the softsynths can’t do…

2 Likes

Thank you! I will look into the thread.

1 Like

+1
More immediate than A4 yet still quite deep. Thought I’d miss my A4 since getting rid of it but Pro 2 has kept me from missing it, and it’s just so inviting. Plus you get some fun sequencer modes not available on Elektrons, but it still takes MIDI from an Elektron sequencer just fine.

1 Like

Source is digital and only one oscillator. And no effects.
So it sounds a bit thin
and can sound super glitchy.
I like its engine very much though, but the keybed is just weird indeed.

What about nord lead 1 or 2 for some Swedish festivities?

Or virus A / B?

Both reliable, great sound and affordable

A4 was my first synth and I was a complete novice, was certainly difficult to get into but there are lots of good presets and preset packs available so that you can start making noise and enjoying it immediately. once you go a bit deeper than that it can be menu divey but every time I use it i learn something new and my music gets better so nothing but good things to say about it.

3 Likes

By the way, what is the difference between Novation Peak and Summit? I am guessing the Summit is its successor but are there any substantial differences between the two?

Previously on Elektronauts:

4 Likes

The Deepmind is awesome, the lack of oscillator shapes is a bit odd at first but once you get to know the synth it’s really not a big deal. However you’re right in that Omni can already do everything Deepmind can do plus a thousand other things.

If you’re thinking about it from the viewpoint of getting something that your soft synths CAN’T do, I would vote for the Hydrasynth. All the crazy wavemorphing stuff and the mutants among other things are really unique. Sure you might be able to pull of similar stuff with Serum or Omni, but it would probably take way longer and not be nearly as fun.

1 Like

Hydrasynth indeed looks fun. I might get the desktop version along with a midi keyboard so as to make the best of both worlds. Some people think that it sounds a bit digital and cold. Do you agree with this? The demos I have listened to indeed sound a bit sterile, perhaps the creators agreed and implemented a warm mode.

…with a little patience, u gonna love it big time…promise…

2 Likes

If you know how to “think” synthesis there is no diffrence between a virtual synth and a4, the menu is not that deep and everything is quite clear. One of the pros of the a4 as a 1st synth is that it “growing” with you.

Btw, overbridge makes your future A4 to a lovely and intresting “vst”.

5 Likes

100% agree with this:

and this:

I’d recommend the Rev2 to any hardware synth beginner (with the budget for it). and to pretty much anyone else interested in synths. it’s great value for money, super flexible, easy to understand, and deep enough to be rewarding but you don’t HAVE to go deep in order for it be rewarding (a key difference versus the A4). for ambient music, you may want to go for the 16 voice model if you can (though you can also upgrade to it later). that way if you’re sequencing two sounds at once, you have 8 voices for each.

4 Likes