Analog Four as first hardware synth?

Hi everyone,

I have gotten my hands on Digitakt as my first Elektron gear a month ago. I really clicked with the workflow and am now looking for my first hardware synthesizer to couple with the Digitakt and my soft synths (omnisphere, serum, reaktor, surge, etc). I have been working in the box for years so I am pretty excited to have an actual physical synth to play.

I am more into the sound design aspect of music production, creating soundscapes with piercing, harsh synth sounds. I am not into actually “playing” keyboard to produce something and I am not a keyboard player as well.

That being said, as I am not a big fan of FM synthesis (operator is more than enough for me in that regard), Digitone is out of the equation fo me. Additive/subtractive/wavetable synthesis are my go-to methods. I was thinking about getting a used Analog Four. However, I am not sure if four voices is enough for deep ambient pieces.

I was also thinking of getting a Deepmind 12D and Novation SL MK3. In this way, I will have a decent poly synth on top of Omnisphere and other options. I have also read that deepmind has limited oscilator shapes and therefore sound a bit thin without using the effects and modulation matrix, so I am not really sure.

So I am not really sure what to get atm. Do you happen to have any suggestions for me? I would also love to hear from analog four users regarding their experience with drones, soundscapes and layering. Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

I think the A4 is a difficult one for your first synth. In all honesty. It can sound pretty good. But by just tweaking things you more often than not end up with a groovebox sound. I would describe it as an analog MC303. Also, the presets are complete trash.
Let the war begin! Lol. I am protected with proper shielding.
I would advice getting a Minilogue instead

7 Likes

I would say the A4 is great for sound design. Lots of modulation (envelopes, LFOs, etc.) and routing possibilities. With the mk2, you can apparently also route the output from the CV track (via 1/4" cable) back into the external control inputs for even more modulation possibilities. With only 4 voices, it might be limited (or it might do just fine, it’s deep, with plenty to explore). Trig conditions and probability also aid in developing more “generative” stuff.

Presets are probably irrelevant since the OP mentioned being into sound design.

4 Likes

A4, for me, is the most menu-divey and difficult-to-understand Elektron device currently being made. It can sound great but requires hard work and dedication to discover all of its bells and whistles. Also, as you said, I don’t think 4 voices is enough for ambient. Personally, I would lean towards a Prophet Rev2 Desktop module and maybe a KeyStep. The Deepmind is a good shout too.

11 Likes

If you’re considering an mk1, yeah, why not. They’re fairly affordable second hand and if something is pulling you towards an A4, why not give it a go.

However, due to the menus and how deep the A4 is, it’s definitely not the most accessible piece as your first hardware synth. I got the A4 pretty early on after I’d got into synths and that equation didn’t work in my case. Wanted something that was more knob per function.

Some of these topics might also have some relevant takes on the matter.

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=154121&q=Analog%20four%20first&skip_context=true

4 Likes

As someone who spent the past 5 months with a new mk2 A4 (and recently sold it), I can concur with craig’s comments here. It can sound great, but takes time. I didn’t have that kinda time.

4 Likes

You definitely need to put in the work.
The MK2 has a lovely front panel layout, though.
You can always buy 2nd handed and then just sell it if it turns out to be too hardcore.

3 Likes

I see, I was of the opinion that Octatrack takes the lead in being the only truly difficult Elektron box. I am also thinking of getting something that I wouldn’t achieve with a midi keyboard+omnisphere in the first place. Therefore I am not sure Deepmind would actually breathe new life into my workflow. I can already do lots of modulation with Omnisphere so I am kinda hesitant if Deepmind will bring something newer than what I can program with a VST+midi keyboard. That’s why I was looking into Elektron boxes as the way they can interact with each other can really shift your perspective and offer new creative ideas on the go.

1 Like

You’ve got a sampler and sequencer.

Why not go Microfreak and layer it in the Digitakt? HUGE variety of sounds to work with

1 Like

If you are really familiar with synths itself, how they work and how sound design with subtractive synthesis works, I would say, it does not matter, what the first hardware synth is.
If you are new to synthesis, I would recommend a Synth like the already names Minilogue, that has most of the important features as a knob on the front panel.

2 Likes

if you’re not afraid of learning curve – it’s super cool.
my 1st hardware synth was PreenFM2… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought this, thought I wasn’t an ‘FM guy’… and the Digitone was the last Elektron unit I got hold of… I couldn’t have been more wrong about it… it’s nothing like what I imagined it was going to be like, it’s so much better!

I love the A4… but, I would say my favourite synth for getting properly into synthesis has been the Novation Peak. I would recommend something with a more ‘knob per function’ approach, like the Peak, over the A4 if you want an intro to hardware synths.

I have a Deepmind 12D, love that too… don’t get too hung up on other peoples ideas of ‘problems/faults’… it would take you years to master the Deepmind (whatever the BS about the oscillators is) and you would never outgrow it in 100 years.

Anyway, my take- getting something that’s ‘hands on’, then you’ll realise the difference between using Omnisphere and a true hardware synth.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Going for knob per function makes sense as I guess this is what I am after, rather than the sound itself.

I would say the 4 voice are enough, you get 2 osc and 2 sub oscillators that can be set to useful ratios per voice, plus dual filters. Add in parameter slide on the sequencer and you can get some interesting morphing going on and take up a ton of space with 4 voices. If you add in sampling it on the DT you will have the ability to have a lot going on if needed.

I suppose it depends a bit on how comfortable you are in your soft synths?

I suppose another to look at is the DSI Pro2, fully knobby with wavetables and superwaves 4 voice paraphonic… it is a really wild synth for sound design with those classic filters. I kind of put it and the A4 in a similar category of wild sound design with just enough voices to get into pads. You might end up sampling the Pro2 a bit more because it isnt multi timbral but it pretty quickly became my preferred synth just due to its fully knobby interface and deep editing options.

3 Likes

No. If you don’t need the Elektron sequencer above everything else, than don’t get A4 as first synth. For the same money, get Peak, Hydrasynth, or some classics from Moog, DSI, etc.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good approach, since you already have useful VSTs at your disposal.

Since you’re into sound design, this thread has good recommendations for that. Prophet 12 probably gets a mention there but that would be my choice. :wink:

1 Like

Personally I don’t like the sound of Microfreak, from what I have heard online. It sounds a bit digital and too confined. I am also sure that I will dislike its keybed and end up not liking the synth entirely :slight_smile:

1 Like

A4 was my first Elektron and I hated it. Then I got a Rytm, learned the workflow and wished I’d kept it!

I’d probably start looking into an Access Virus module if you’re into sound design with subtractive/wavetable methods. Plenty of voices, multi-timbral and deep sound design potential. Incredible bang for buck. That said, it can’t really do anything the softsynths can’t do…

2 Likes

Thank you! I will look into the thread.

1 Like

+1
More immediate than A4 yet still quite deep. Thought I’d miss my A4 since getting rid of it but Pro 2 has kept me from missing it, and it’s just so inviting. Plus you get some fun sequencer modes not available on Elektrons, but it still takes MIDI from an Elektron sequencer just fine.

1 Like