Analog 4 eurorack/modular - do I need a VCA?

So I’m getting some modular gear to run with the A4. Hypothetically to start if all I had was a VCO (thinking erica synth black wavetable) could I run this through the A4 and control full amplitude/attenuation as I understand I can with envelope and LFO? Or is a VCA an essential first purchase? Read many topics on the web but unclear on this point. Help and personal experiences much appreciated. Thanks

That VCO and most VCO’s that aren’t consider “synth voices” in modular land will need a VCA for volume/attenuation duties. However, you could run it through the A4 as external input.

2 Likes

It’ll work without any additional gear. Basically the VCO outputs a constant sound, which you plug into your A4, and then it runs through the filter and amp of the A4, replacing one of your A4 voices.

2 Likes

I use the lfo on the fx track to act as a vca. Set the line in to 0. Point the lfo at the line in volume. Set the shape to exp and play with the time. This way you don’t have to bring it through the filters.

3 Likes

Thank you all. Had the A4 nearly a year a use it most days and never paid any attention to the line in on the tracks through l and r oscillator wave forms. Mangling a volca keys through in now with filters and lfo and fx. It’s insane. Plus the lfo tip on the fx line in trick is genius. Thank you all again.

2 Likes