AN-X from Yamaha (Speculation)

I’d take what you described!

1 Like

I had, EX5, Motif XF, FS1R and now have Montage and AN1x I bought the latest from the Yamahas. The biggest mistake of my life with synths was the mistake of buying the latest AN1X. Many synthesizers have passed through my hands, now I have in addition to the ones listed: Clavia Nord Lead 3, Supernova 2, Virus TI1. But the sound of my modified AN1x is what I love the most.

There are many more smart ideas in the old AN1x than in any new Yamaha knick-knack Synthesizer. Even the Aftertouch of AN1x recognizes 127 steps of pressure, while Montage has a blunt On and Off switch on Aftertouch.

Yamaha AN1X modification Video Nr.2 for better Sound from me

1 Like

Yamaha registered this logo a few months ago. Looks like it’s coming closer to being a reality:

5 Likes

NAMM in a few weeks…Yamaha have 3 stands…

Very interested in seeing what comes of this.

They recently released a new (and fairly knobby) CK range of synths but they’re nothing new really. They’re basically just repackaged romplers with knobs on and a few changes in UI IMHO.

The AN-X stuff though, yes, that could be very interesting, especially if they’re back on form being the synth manufacturing gods they were back in the day. They seem to have really let themselves go in recent decades, so hopfully this is a return to form for Yamaha.

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but an ANX logo made out of Saw Square and Triangle waves gives me some small hope this will be a proper synthesizer.

3 Likes

Obviously it will be. What I mean is that I hope it’s more than just a repackage, or in other words, shows a reasonable amount of evolution went into it since the original.

I also hope they don’t fuck it up by giving it ‘Mini Keys’ or thinking that three octaves is appropriate on a polyphonic synthesizer.

Getting reported that in the n xt few days at this year’s NAMM:

This year, Yamaha will introduce breakthrough products at the show across multiple musical categories, including piano, synthesizer, winds, acoustic guitar, drums and percussion, and professional audio.

Not holding my breath that it’d be bundled into a Montage update, but it would be nice…

1 Like

“ Raverb “

Scott is really spit-balling here. Maybe ? Maybe not ( as he describes it ).

If they say they are introducing breakthrough products one of which is a synthesizer. Does that really mean a firmware upgrade for existing products ? And the trademark itself was suggestive of more too.

But clearly something is on the way and soon.

1 Like

Would love a better AN. The an1x editor shows how powerful the an1x is. I haven’t dug into the sequencer, it can do it’s own version of drawable lanes or parameter locks. Theres a whole 4 tracks of EG parameters you can freely write in on each scene that can be 8 bars or 16 seconds. It lets you draw in pencil style and various LFOs you can adjust, and mix together.

2 oscillators, 2 scenes, (4 oscillators then), 2 LFOs per scene, 4 tracks of selectable parameter editing, and 8 freely assignable knobs.

Idk why I’m not doing more with mine now that I said all that…

2 Likes

Whatever the AN-X is, it doesn’t look like NAMM is the show where Yamaha announces it.

I posted a link to a web-page in the NAMM 2023 thread that Yamaha made listing all their new products at that show. The synth products are the CK series synths.

So it is still unknown what the AN-X really is !

Yamaha is going to be at SFF in a week, and Superbooth in three.

So with the announcement direct from Yamaha for the new Montage M, the question of what AN-X is, is answered. From that article.

AN-X is a sound engine that re-creates the sound and behaviour of an analog synthesizer. This engine provides the warm, classic sound and behaviour of an analog synthesizer.

I can say quite emphatically – much of what i posted above is wrong !

Thread on new Montage M

1 Like