An Appreciation - The Octatrack Audio Editor

It was a victory, not sure it is the best solution! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

Where there’s a Will there’s a way!

3 Likes

What is this rotate start of which you speak?
I’m enjoying sampling 16 secs of something then setting a small loop in the editor and then moving start point around randomly to get a bunch of snippets. Editor is great on OT. sp16 got sold for this reason.

ROTATE POS TO START rotates the audio data so that the cursor position becomes the new start position of the sample.

It shifts the audio.

4 Likes

I just wanted to show my appreciation for the audio editor.

Thanks AED :sound::blush::pager:

3 Likes

Long life to AED! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Yes, extremely handy to use either for correcting a loop captured incorrectly or as a creative tool, as far as I can tell it is a feature unique to the Octatrack.

4 Likes

Great tips here! I’m underusing the AED, but with this thread in mind i’ll explore te AED more :mag_right:.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Little trick for 2 sounds in one file. This can be applied to any sampler with reverse.

2 samples in a file. Reverse the 2nd one.
Play with rate - 63 to play the 2nd sample normally, instead of first one.

Well, there are slices!

4 Likes

I wish Static samples had the same editing functions as Flex samples. To get full editing access you need to reload the sample into a Flex slot, only then you get the additional editing options. Super clunky.

2 Likes

Apparently samples have to be loaded into Ram for those editing options to be possible.

Makes sense.

These days, I’ve been sampling really expressive cello loops with a boatload of tempo variation even inside a 2 bars loop. The editor has been super helpful to surgically rework these into usable grooves. First time I do something I couldn’t have done on the DT.

All hail ping pong loops, all hail the AED!

3 Likes

In that regard swapping my MK1 for an MK2 has done wonders. The extra buttons and (as sad as it may sound) the audio editor labels under the encoders are incredibly helpful.

2 Likes

Yes same for me too, the mkII is :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I still haven’t quite figured out how to make seamless, click free loops easy and consistantly. When sampling external gear, tweaking FIN and FOUT values seems to be the answer, but when I want to make a loop of an existing, longer sample I’ve recorded before I’m kind of lost. I wish there was an easy crossfade effect or something similar for loops, now I sometimes have to resort to using Audacity to make a smooth loop when I would much rather do everything with the Octatrack.

you probably already know - but setting start end loop points while holding func snaps to zero crossings

when you’re at a zero point you’ll see a little white square where the marker crosses the waveform

3 Likes

Hmm, I’m not at home at the moment so I can’t try that out, but I’ll do it as soon as I get off work. I can’t honestly quite understand what your message even means, hah!

Zero crossing revers to the point where the waveform crosses the zero level axis.
If a loop does not start/end at a zero crossing, this can result in clicks and pops, because of the abrupt level changes.

It doesn’t have to result in clicks/pops, but it often does.

3 Likes

Also worth pointing out that zero crossings are not the whole story to getting seamless loops, depending on the sound you also want to try to match timbre and amplitude.

3 Likes