Ambika

SMR sounds good for poly stuff. You can definitely use it for bass and lead sounds too though. You can’t really go wrong with 6 SMR filters. Best part is that you can always replace some filters later if you decide you want to try something different.

2 Likes

I had a 6x SMR Ambika and it sounded wonderful. Just wasn’t using the mod matrix to its potential and ended up making the same types of sounds with it. I sold it to fund my OB-6 but still wish I had one to play with.

I only ever used it as a 6-voiced pad/string but I still have 3 Shruthi’s and can say with certainty their lead/bass sounds are worth keeping them around. 1 4PM, 1 Dual SVF & 1 Yellow Magic

1 Like

Just joined the Ambika club! Metal enclosure SMR4 Pi with YAM firmware… now need to make some more room :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Purchased :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome! I think you’re gonna like it here :smiley:

Edit: You got a steal on it too. It probably costs close to that just for the parts.

Also, looks like you got an OLED screen so you’ll have to remember to shut it off since there isn’t a screen saver on Ambika. I built mine with an OLED too and haven’t had any issues so far.

1 Like

Ambika is underrated for sure. Warm melodies with the SMR4 filters. I love setting the spread at around 7 to detune and adjusting the velocity for different notes, makes it dance beautifully. I think it sounds very AFX.

Actually it was even less than that :slight_smile:

But yeah it’s perhaps the best deal in the polysynth world, in terms of sound fidelity and programming complexity. I was looking at getting the PreenFM2 (another hidden gem) but couldn’t resist this one spec’d exactly how I would want if I were to build my own.

How are most of you using the voice outputs? I have 3 of these going into 3 channels of my soundcard
https://www.terralec.co.uk/audio_leads/cobra_two_mono_1_4_inch_jack_to_one_mono_jack_lead/30097_p.html

Then I have 3 grouped tracks in Ableton with some panning applied. I wish I had the extra inputs to have all 6 voices separately routed but this will have to do for now. Setting the Ambika to Cycle the voices helps a bit in my setup.

1 Like

I like that solution. Do you have to turn the volume down, as two signals are being mixed? I thought of buying a cheap boss mixer to connect all six of them and pan them all. On the other hand: spreading the voices is not always better in the mix… I don’t want to use up 6 inputs just for the ambika.

Not really, I have each patch volume between 90-110. I set the volume on my 3 inputs at about 50% and do the rest in Ableton.

I’m actually considering running 5 voices for poly duties and 1 for bass. Create a multi and run midi into the poly and mono patches through seperate midi channels. Run them into separate audio inputs on my motu. I think it would work pretty well. I love the bass on the Ambika. Very round Roland sound with the SMR4 filters.

1 Like

It’s here!

So is it normal for the insides to make quiet “clunking” noises when you move/rotate the unit? Like the voice boards are moving around or something?

No, should be rock solid, they were on mine, sounds like something is loose

1 Like

I think you’re right. How easy is it to open up? Metal enclosure version

4 Likes

Sample the damn clunking noises and make your first Ambika song with it!

1 Like

It shouldn’t “clunk”

Easy.

First check if the screws all over the bottom of the case are tight (don’t over tighten the ones that go in to the wood). If it’s just those bottom ones you may not have to take it apart.

Otherwise…

Pull the knobs off. Use a plastic tool or card to pry them up a bit if they are hard to slide off. So you don’t scratch the metal. If the encoder has a nut, take that off with a socket.

Then take the screws out all around the sides by the wood end caps.

Also the screws along the back top edge.
Plus 2 screws in the front center.
Don’t remove the ones on the bottoms except the edge ones in the wood

The metal is 2 pieces and should slide off pretty easy after that.

Just keep the wood screws and metal screws separate.

I’d check that all of the screws for the stand offs are tight.

I can take pictures later if you’re not sure.

3 Likes

You the man :slight_smile:

I’ll do that this weekend… thanks!

1 Like

I have a small hair under my lcd screen glass. I can’t be bothered to try and get it though. It’s like the previous owner is still a part of it.

2 Likes

I pulled out my shruthi xt with 4PM board after reading through this thread and I don’t think I ever appreciated before just how beefy and juicy this thing can be! Seriously considering getting an Ambika now… damn you.

2 Likes

Yeah mine was clear so I could see inside, not sure on the metal ones