Amazed by Heat

This is the sort of endorsement I was dreading. I had initially written off Heat but have been warning to it (no pun intended). I’ve no doubt I’ll get one some day soon and reading about use with ableton is exactly how I’d be using it.

I’ve got a lot of half finished tracks that I think Heat would do wonders for (think Tame Impala bass lines and drums). Sure, I can get somewhere near it all ITB but I’ve watched a few videos now of Heat in studio use and very impressed.

I was a doubter…seeing it more icing on cake, but have to say it’s great, lots of fun especially the filter and lfo.

I love the heat, I kinda take it for granted these days. Wouldn’t want to be without it anymore.

Having said that, I am getting a 2ch tube amp with mullard tubes and a Stam audio SSL comp for even more 2bus colouring options… Will be splendid to combine all of em!

1 Like

I really like my AH, even though I don’t use all the algorithms. The EQ, master filter, env follower and the fact I can use it as an audio interface are well worth having. DT run through AH is my prefered setup at the moment. Sampling Micromonsta through AH also yields nice results.

2 Likes

mine is pretty much always on “clean boost” for 2bus duties. The rest are useful for specific processing though!

4 Likes

Im crazy about AH no lie. I run samples through it into digitakt sometimes while harvesting from youtube to give them some color if needed. One thing besides using it for saturated parallel compression on drums is using AH on a good synth sequence, its really nothing to ignore. Just beauty. Take an arp or baseline that has some filter movement already and get the envelope follower going in the AH with a slower attack and faster release and set it to filter freq… It can be just gorgeous to have two filters moving side by side and the dry wet can control how much one is swiping into the other. I used to make presets for it every day but realized AH is so tweakable and source dependant that it was just a waste of time and starting with an initialized patch each time really lets it shine freshly. No diss to presets I’m glad they are there still… also setting an lfo moving the wet mix up and down by a decibel or two somewhat slowly like a wave over the mix (not totally in sync) can be a really good way to add saturation and movement to a mix that you feel more than you hear. Hope these inspire…

8 Likes

Bit worried I’m going to start using it on every part of every track and end up with something unmixable :flushed:

Reading this, and the review in SOS, makes me realise I’m in trouble.

5 Likes

Isn’t that a Madonna quote?!

But yeah the Heat is fantastyczny!

The only downside with the Heat is wishing you could strap it your ears on a daily basis, making everything bad sound better.
‘Do this, do that, don’t stick it there’ etc…

This exact concern is the only thing I’m holding onto to stop me buying one…

This is a bug, confirmed by Elektron. Minor seeming thing, but it lead me to an impasse in using the Heat the way I intended and ultimately resulted in me returning it. I use my elektrons exclusively via OB in Live. Although the Heat worked fine via OB for the most part, I quickly realized that I’d have no ability to recall and tweak the processing I’d used on a given audio source if I used it on more than one track in a project. And it is so great sounding I wanted to use it on many tracks! Presets would have been an (albeit slightly clunky) workaround to this issue…but I couldn’t save any.

Sadly a deal breaker for me. And it’s somewhat unsettling to know that 6+ months later, Elektron have yet to fix it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a bit of a shame. Hopefully it’ll be one of the things addressed in the big update of Overbridge that comes with all the Digitakt features etc.

It can be overused and make something unmixable just like overdoing any kind of effect or EQ can. As usual just set it so it’s sounds good and then back off a little :slightly_smiling_face:

Pioneer SP-16 has something exactly like heat built into product

I wanted to like it. I tried one in a noisy music shop with my headphones. ** warning stupid comment aleart ** but all it did was distort the sound. And I havn,t seen any decent ytube demos, mainly when heat is engaged the level is louder than bypassed so anything will sound better louder.
But maybe distortion isnt what I’m after.
Can anyone point me to any good demos, maybe used more as compression.

Edit: Here! Cenk did an Awesome video, maybe use headphones and check out how he uses it to compress the 909… https://youtu.be/PQXPARuCXZg

1 Like

care to elaborate?

I picked up a second hand Heat this weekend. I like it more than I thought. I have a modular rig and it interfaces nicely with that. I load it as a VST in Maschine and it works well. Plus Maschine has a midi template for the Heat. The thing that most impresses me is how it gives my virtual synths an analog sheen. They all sound better esp Massive. It’s a keeper for the price I paid. Not sure if I would be as happy if I paid full price.

I bought another Analog Heat last week.

I sold one a few months back and then a few weeks later started to feel regretful. Then I got a Digitakt, to use primarily as a sketch pad/sound source for my MPC Live and I started to yearn for the AH. Sold a few more pedals and here we are again with a relatively minimal setup - Mpc Live, Digitakt, Analog Heat, Filter Lancet, TC Fireworx, Zoom MS100 Bt, & an Avalanche Run delay/reverb pedal.

I’m really excited about this setup. The AH is definitely a keeper this time.

1 Like