Allen&Heath QU-16 + Overbridge tips?

Hello,

I’m about to (when my studio room is finished) start setting up my elektron gear with a A&H QU-16 mixer to Ableton / Overbridge. I’m new to using hardware and Live together. Is anyone else using the QU-16 and is there anything specific to watch out for?

Also pro’s / con’s ?

cheers!

I’m using it with the Qu-PAC, which basically amounts to the same thing. I haven’t come up against any particular issues. I just set up a specific scene for monitoring through Ableton. I record all the channels separately over USB without any issues. Did you have any specific questions in mind?

I suppose you just want to watch out for obvious things like not monitoring via the Qu and Ableton at the same time. That’s why I set up a specific scene on the Qu with all the channels muted so that I’m only monitoring via Ableton.

Which Elektrons are you hooking up?

No specific questions at this point. I just wanted to check if anyone had ran into something weird or unusual. I might have some questions once i’ve hooked up my studio gear :slight_smile: I’m going to use my Rytm, Keys and machinedrum. And probably a Heat after i have figured out my new workflow with Live :slight_smile:

Are you planning to use Overbridge?

Yea I am, so i suppose i still have to connect everything with an Overhub aswel, right?

Depends on your computer. I use an Imac and don’t use overhub, but it depends how many separate USB ports you have.

Do you have any other gear? You’ll be left with a lot of inputs on your Qu if you use Overbridge.

Not at the moment no. But left/right of each machine is each 1 input right? And then pair them in Ableton or something. (something i read somewhere).

I also want to use external effect pedals and stuff in the future.

I’m new at this hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Using Overbridge, you won’t need any audio cables for the Analog Keys (all audio can be streamed over USB) so no inputs used on the Qu.

Similarly, you wouldn’t need to connect any audio cables from the Heat if you got one.

With the Rytm, you might want to connect the main L/R to the mixer as only 8 voices can be streamed via Overbridge. So I stream the 8 drum voices with Overbridge and the main stereo (carrying the FX) as audio to the mixer.

The Machinedrum obviously doesn’t use Overbridge, so you could then connect the main outs and the 4 individual outs.

All told that would use 8 of the 16 mono inputs on the Qu. So you’d still have 8 free mono inputs plus 3 stereo inputs for future gear.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s more or less what i had in mind. But how about applying external FX pedals on those voices or tracks you stream over USB then? Having FX sends and returns is one of the reasons why i choose a mixer instead of all audio over USB. Can you do that directly in ableton or something?

Would it be possible at all to do all audio from a device over mixer channels and still use overbridge for that device via USB?