All these non-Elektron owners hanging around like a bad smell…

Had no Elektron boxes when I joined this forum. I now have 3. I will buy a 4th eventually. Nothing I read convinced me until I tried a Syntakt out in the field, but if this place didn’t exist, I probably would have never bought one in the first place. The amount of tips and tricks learned is top tier.

I believe I spend more time reading about non-Elektron gear here unless it’s a new device. Mainly because I respect the opinion of users who understand the various workflows and how they relate to Elektrons. That being said, I like the non-Elektron users here for the most part. Some of the YouTubers that hang here fishing to screenshot opinions to make a video about get kind of annoying, but other than that… I don’t really mind. Hang 10.

3 Likes

Elektron hooked me just as the good old days were were coming to an end, which is a story of my life really. Thankfully the MD/MNM live on.

I have neither atm but eventually ill have the funds to not only buy them but also not have to sell them either.

However Ableton is amazing these days, when I took my gear detour it was because it wasn’t stable. Nowdays it is and the stock plugins and m4L makes it so good.

2 Likes

Have 2 ‘trons but it’s slowly dawning on me that I’m more of a battleship sequencer/dedicated noise things kind of guy.

I think.

Whatever I do I will continue to visit these forums whilst the Gearspace delta remains acceptable.

2 Likes

i was hanging around for 3 years before getting me a Syntakt

3 Likes

rally the troops, i’ll get the pitchforks

2 Likes

I had a Model:Samples for about a year and hated it. Half of that was on me (turns out I don’t really like samples, and never really mastered the file structure), but I still maintain that those mushy pads ruin the instrument.

I was also on the fence for years about getting a Syntakt or DN, but came to the realization that if an instrument isn’t really fast and/or really fun, it’s better in the long run to stick with software.

And I’m just too much of a keyboardist to ever get fully comfortable playing in notes with numbered pads. But if Elektron ever makes another Keys instrument, I’ll probably rush out and buy it like an idiot.

1 Like

Why not a DN with a cheap Midikeyboard and call it a day?

1 Like

My Octatrack has been in a case in the back of my closet going on 6 months now. Before that I used it at least an hour a day for 5 years straight, generally way more than that. Life goes in seasons so I’m sure I’ll get back to it. It did start to feel like a lot of work to do things that I could do in Ableton in seconds. I know that extra work is what brings a lot of joy to many people but currently I’m not interested in extra work, I’m a single dad with 2 young kids. I hate work!

2 Likes

I’m a non-elektron owner. I came over from IDMforums looking for a place to keep talking music/hw as that forum got quieter for a bit. I knew of this place because the Elektron instruments are fairly popular in the IDM scene.

Elektron’s stuff isn’t super appealing to me and what I want to do with HW, but never say never. I’m always open to being surprised or having my mind changed.

1 Like

Too much work. I’m a piano player, so I already get annoyed when I have to turn a synth, or replug a cable, or remember what MIDI channel I’m on. And at that point, it’s already more work than just having a MIDI controller go into my much, much, much more powerful computer with its mountain of softsynths. So I just don’t get on with desktop synths and separate controllers.

I’m enjoying these moments before I take a shower to get rid of the smell.

I have mentioned before that not having an Elektron makes me impervious to some of the nastier parts of the forum, and therefore my time an elektronauts mostly pure joy. For this reason I really never considered getting one, for fear of ruining the forum for me.

And then, a few days ago someone on the local classifieds offered me a used Digitone 1 for another gizmo I had up, and I said yes… Debating if that was a smart choice or not. We’ll see at the end of October when it arrives.

3 Likes

My first Elektron box! I needed a usb hub for my Roland Boutiques when I was buying my first synths. Thought it was just some made in china shit that would do a job. :joy:

Maybe it is, and it did. Still couldn’t fix the boutique latency though…

me - all gone elektron - hello erica synths, roland, arturia - but still here for the music and the people - good vibes

3 Likes

I didn’t have any Elektrons when I found this place and wasn’t interested in them. It was just a great forum for hardware gear, which I was getting into at the time. Eventually curiosity got the best of me so I bought DT, then DN and recently TV. Sold DN and DT will go next, because I figured I’m one-Elektron-at-a-time type of guy. But also one-groovebox-at-a-time, which is why I got TV even in it’s current still kind of beta state. We’ll see how it works out, but even if it doesn’t, this will still be a great forum.

2 Likes

I feel bad I only have a digitone keys left… I will get more in the future though, mpc has been treating me so good though… I do have the super rare backpack case for my digitone keys though… and a decksaver.

2 Likes

I got the case too! It rules.
Tried to order a decksaver for it and Sweetwater sent me something completely different that I have to send back now.

Getting rid of my AH, and digitone.

Octatrack will always be a keeper.

As long as you actually make music, I dont really care what you use.

3 Likes

Tried AR, DN, DN2, A4, OT, ST and AH but ended up not really liking them. Felt like an imposter here for 3 years, maybe that’s why I still kept my ST sitting untouched in my basement the whole time. After all that I thought that I’d ever fall in love with an Elektron… until the TV came out and I spent an hour with it in a music store. Now I’m feeling worthy again.

3 Likes

Do Ableton forums have an antiFinn who uninstalled Live with no regrets?

2 Likes

I still have the trs split cables does that count me in or out ?

Like I already said in another thread :

« Came for the box, stayed for the folks! »

3 Likes