AKWF waveforms - tuning?

Hi!

I know many of you use the AKWF waveforms (check them out if you don’t, great resource for OT food: http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/ ), but I have a question on the way you use them.

They’re tuned to d+ 2 cents, which means they don’t work off the bat with chromatic mode - the chromatic mode makes the trigs have a tune lock of even values, +1, +2, etc. What you’d want is that every lock is flat by 2 cents.

Does anyone have a workaround. Maybe some utility that can batch tune the samples to C? Or do you just adjust the locks manually?

Thanks, any input would be much appreciated!

There was this plugin that came with a computer-music magazine called Spiral.
this tells what the key is of what ever wave-form i grabbed. .and helps me tune it in renoise.

after its tuned… I just make a 64note sample-chain with it…
lot of work in the beginning… but once you get your files right… you can add vst’s and envelopes and all kinds of wickedness… and just render your sample-chain again.
I could make 100’s like that…

Thanks!
You’re right that it’s not a big deal to create tuned chains in Ableton, for example.
I’m just intrigued by the possibility to batch convert them all to C and just load them up individually… Really hoping I’ll find some utility for this.

Can you not just retune using the rate nob, that’s what I’ve been doing, just by ear mind, usually around +59

That’s actually a very good tip! I’ll see how that works out. Thanks!

Thanks but I can’t take credit, I watched a 4 part tutorial for the octa track, can’t remember who made it but it was meant to be five parts but cut short. Anyhow, I noticed the guy doing the tutorial doing it, and yea, works a treat. So all credit to that geezer.

Thanks but I can’t take credit, I watched a 4 part tutorial for the octa track, can’t remember who made it but it was meant to be five parts but cut short. Anyhow, I noticed the guy doing the tutorial doing it, and yea, works a treat. So all credit to that geezer.

apologies but how do I get the single wave forms to c?.

Use the static LFO fine tune trick and resample or slow the sample speed and resample.

lfo trick - link please?

The internal resolution of many parameters is much greater than 0-127. Create an LFO in the designer that is either all high or all low. How high or low depends on the range & resolution you want. The closer to zero the higher the resolution and the smaller the range. In this case, send the LFO to pitch and use the LFO depth for fine tune.

Static LFOs with scenes is also used for transposing a sequences on the audio side of the OT.

Hey there.

I think I am onto something… I downloaded SOX which is a free command line driven audio editor… and started doing some C# magic (because that’s the only programming language I can use ha ha ha)

A few lines of C# allow me to script Sox to do automatic pitch bending of the AKWF waves and export to new files, resulting in mass re-tuning and octave shifting (because we want to go higher in pitch):

So far so good… but for some reason, SOX doesn’t trim the new wave file, and while pitch shifting is working so far it also comes with weird PWM style effects… So I’m not done yet, and it’s time for me to go to bed but I’ll continue working on it as soon as I have some free time (I NEED those tuned multi-octave waves).

Once the script is working well I’ll do a big batch processing of the whole AKWF pack and upload it somewhere (oh and I’ll also upload the source code for you nerds to play with… but only when I’m done working on it), so that everyone can get perfectly tuned waves that can be spread on more than two octaves :slight_smile:

Have any of you been using these with the monomachine?
I have been trying to upload them but I keep getting an incorrect length error. (my mnm also froze a few times after receiving stuff and I had to reset it).

I’m using C6 and converting the files to digipro in there.

This is usually a problem with your choice of midi interface - I had to try three different interfaces before I could upload to MnM - dunno if it’s the MnM being sensitive or the interfaces being crap.
Anyway I tried two different cheap usb-midi dongle affairs, a 5 dollar one and a ‘decent’ Alesis one - no joy - incorrect length error.
Then I tried a focusrite saphire 24 with midi - incorrect length error.
Then I tried a budget Tascam usm something or other mk2 - worked first time. Then I tried an even cheaper Tascam iUR2 - worked first time.
In fact, in the interest of science, whenever I’ve had any kind of midi transfer issues with other gear- the Tascams beat everything, every time - they just work.

Below is a table that shows values of the pitch transforming according to the rate value. I’ve done this using a vst called Gtune.

Rate semitone fine
64 0
61 -1 17
60 -1 -11
57 -2
54 -3 7
53 -3 -26
51 -4 1
50 -4 -26
48 -5
45 -6 -1
43 -7 12
42 -7 -28
40 -8 -13
38 -9
36 -10 5
34 -11 5
32 -12
30 -13 -11
29 -14 30
28 -14 -30
27 -15 5
25 -16 -26
24 -17
23 -18 30
21 -19 -28
20 -20 -13
19 -21
18 -22 6
17 -23 6
16 -24

Hi StinkyBeat, thanks for reminding me of the static LFO trick! I read about it in the old forum, but forgot about it. You were describing it there like this:

Many of the OT parameters have finer internal resolution than the knob provides. If needed it can be access by using an LFO that is designed to be a steady state and use the depth of the LFO to access parameter values between the values the knob can access.

Use the LFO designer and create a horizontal line. The closer the horizontal line is to zero the higher the resolution and the smaller the range of “fine tune” is available. Now the depth control will give you 0-127 resolution for a small portion of the parameter.

This is a perfect explanation, as it seems to me, so I repost it here (dunno how to create a link to the old post).

Tonight’s work: I can now pitch up all AKWF waves up to C6 (around 1kHz, better than a Minitaur!!). For some obscure reason SoX won’t let me go higher (maybe the sample lengh it too short?)…
I also retuned the waves in C so that they can be played in chromatic mode, big improvement!

Got some reaaaaally nice sounds tonight with those new waves :slight_smile:

To be done:

• pitch down, let’s see if I can reach C0.
  • try to get a perfect tuning, I’m still a few Hz off from perfect notes, not sure what’s the problem but will work on it.

Hopefully I can finish it this week-end :slight_smile:

Actually I didn’t try it myself but free and multi-platform Audacity has batch processing feature. Change pitch is in the list of the batch actions.

Ah I think that was me, cheers mate :slight_smile:

I’ve just started using the OT as a synth with the AKWF-s.
So far so good, waiting for the re-pitched waves Jaalmadakan!
Meantime playing with Tarekith’s single cycle waveforms…