Akai mpk mini → digitakt

hey there! i’m trying to use the akai mpk mini with the miditech usb midi host, then midi out of the host to digitakt but no success (tried all kinds of settings).

anyone successful with this setup?

So the host should have a USB port?
If so make the b go to mpk and the a to host, host should have midi in/out so take the out from host to midi in on digitakt and set auto channel to whatever the mpk is on, you can find out in the editor for akai mpc mini

hey, thanks for getting back! what do you mean with a and b? the usb midi host only has an USB Host port as well as a DIN MIDI in and out.

i connect the akai mpk mini to the USB port and then the midi out of the host to the midi in of digitakt.

That’s what he meant and that should work, do you have them both on the same midi channel?

Yeah, I tried changing MIDI channel on both devices – always had them the same. I might have overseen something, need to re-check I assume…

The one on the right goes into the mpk mini port and the left goes into USB host port

The din out goes into midi in of digitakt and the auto channel is set to 1 on digitakt and 1 on mpk

Channel settings have an option to change auto channel.

Thanks! I’ll give it another try now.

is there a way to somehow see an indication if there’s MIDI coming into the digitakt at all? sorry to bother, I think all is set up correctly but no signal…

You could choose a track and make sure you press a key within the octave range of the digitakt

thanks so much for your support! I think actually think there’s a problem with my miditech usb midi host not sending out any midi signal at all. will talk to the manufacturer/shop and try another midi source to make sure.

have a great sunday!

1 Like

No problem, I struggled for a few hours with the concept when I first got a sequencer, it’s kinda burned in there now Haha

for later reference: the problem was with the miditech usb midi host. I replaced it with the (a bit more expensive) kenton midi usb host mk2 and it all works fine now.

cheers!

1 Like

Hello:) informative topic !
Now I am still looking some cheap decision for connecting akai mpk mini mk2 to Digitakt ,may be someone find it? Because Kenton midi usb it’s little bit expensive thing just for playing chords :grinning:

Bit of a necro but stumbled on it while looking at connecting my mpk mini. You may have found something but Loopop mentions this one in a vid about midi usb hosts. MIDI USB to DIN Converter – HobbyTronics Ltd