Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

I use a ssd in the Live, so this should be possible in theory

still hoping they announce another one: the new 500 (assuming the MPC One is the new 1000) with no touch screen running on a battery.

1 Like

Just the touchscreen

Again just the 4 knobs.
Nopes. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So the Live is the same priceā€¦with less features?

This is slightly fucked. I was gonna sell my Liveā€¦this will really kill the Lives price.
Sweet. Feel like I keep getting punched in the nuts on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Live works on battery and you can add a ssd drive.

2 Likes

The live is 300 more, internal battery, more ins, phono ready in, bigger stock storage, upgradable internal storage, more usb connections, 2 midi outs and in.

10 Likes

So this more portable device is not battery powered??

5 Likes

That seems to be the case.

1 Like

you can carry it anywhere you like, you just canā€™t use it when you get there.

22 Likes

I donā€™t know how to read :frowning:

1 Like

HAHAHAHA. Whooo haha :+1:t6:

Iā€™ve sifted through the somewhat epic MPC Live and X topic for some answers, and aside from a few passing mentions about the v 2.0 update, not much detail is given on this generation of MPCā€™s ability to play back longer loops of varying tempos, time stretched in realtime to match the device BPM.

Perhaps now with a more widely appealing budget MPC, this would be an appropriate place to mention this generationā€™s ability to do such Octatrack things. Surely others are interested and the question will come up here eventually, anyways.

So, lets have it. :slight_smile:
Theyā€™re all running the same software, right?
Can the One/Live/X do these Octatrack things?
Can it playback 3 or 4 longer stems from one tune, and mix then with 3 or 4 stems of another tempo from another tune, live?

I figure with 2GB RAM, disk streaming isnā€™t that crucial. Thatā€™s twice the size of the entire plus drive on a Digitakt, which could never perform these functions even if it had the 2GB RAM.

2 Likes

I had an MPC Live but sold it to pay for a plane ticketā€¦ when I got back I wanted another one, but they were all sold out. I ended up with an OT instead.

I hope this hasnā€™t replaced the Live. I feel the Live is a better choice for anyone that isnā€™t into modular synth or does more sampling.

The extra inputs, extra midi, extra hard drive bay, battery power, etc, all make the Live excellent in the studio, This new version seems geared towards folks that are mainly modular synth folks that want to sequence their gear, do a bit of sampling, and carry this with all their other gear.

From the videos I have seen, I also get a sense that the build is a bit clunkier than the Liveā€¦ there is a very plastic button sound coming from the extra controls.

All in all, will keep the OT and hope the Live returns soon.

EDIT: Worth noting that Akai is heavily promoting this as an entry point to the MPC universe and recommending people compare feature sets on their instagram page. They also mention it is for studio use.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure. Iā€™m not one, and so not looking at this in the context of the historic MPC lineup, but I think itā€™s awesome that companies are innovating in this space.

You say that, but Iā€™d say this is still innovative. It doesnā€™t need to hinge on some landmark technological progress to be a design innovation, and I think the fact that there are companies now trying to take the technical advancements weā€™ve had in computing and applying them to standalone musical instruments is an innovation in design. Laptops can do a whole lot, but they canā€™t substitute for single-purpose devices with dedicated controls. Weā€™ve had grooveboxes in the past, but not with anything close to this kind of computing power. I think this really represents the best of both worlds.

Fingers crossed for that disk streaming, hey?

1 Like

yes, sureā€¦ but meanwhile Iā€™ll get that 1010 music blackbox.

1 Like

I have to say apples to oranges.
The MPC and Octatrack are two very different beasts that compliment each other very well, as a matter of fact amazing together ( though i did sell my Live a while back) Currently have Toraiz SP-16 in ā€œregular rotationā€
This I am thinking will pair nicely with the Octatrack as well.
Great thing is about 1-2 years ago you couldnā€™t find a stand alone modern sampler drum machine. now you have Deluge, 1010 BB, MPC line ā€¦ good times !

6 Likes

@dickmalibu well said, something for everyone!

Great post!

It is frustrating that Akaiā€™s entry level offering comes with the hardware navigation controls that are sorely missing from its mid-level offering (the X is great but is just too big).

I would have sold the Live to get this if it were otherwise identical in features, but like this I will keep the Live and continue to quietly lament the lack of meaningful physical controls on an otherwise powerful device.

EDIT: I mention this specifically, because I feel Akai just has this talent to make hardware that looks great at first sight but when zoomed in, all sorts of omissions and flaws are revealed.

1 Like

Actually you said it even better ! :joy:

1 Like