Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

Unfortunately not. I’m hoping for this in the future as well. My old SP-555 did this years ago…

There are a few other flaws/features/issues I’m hoping AKAI will address. But it seems they don’t care much about user requests (see akai forum) and this is not reassuring at all.
That’s why today I’ve sent my MPC back to the seller.
It’s really a BEAUTIFUL piece of hardware but more support is needed from AKAI.
If and when they will address the issues I will be more than happy to buy it again.

Mine arrived a few hours again, and theres a lot of software to download.

Intial thoughts from a quick play on the demo’s are that it’s intuitive, well built and a fast reaction from the touchscreen. Mostly I was impressed with the audio quality coming from it. Very nice.

3 Likes

Could you check please a thing for me?
Pressing the pads (mpc turned off), do you feel/hear a strange spongy noise? Similar to peeling off a sticker…
The feeling is bigger on the central pads, less on the external…

Mine has a little of that noise when pressing hard on the central pads. But I have to press much harder than I do when actually playing the device.

My live used to have a particularly creaky pad, I ended up sending it back. 2017

Sucks if the one has it too

my Live makes a ‘cracking’ noise as it warms up. sound like the case stretching with the heat. :confused:

I dont really care [ :grimacing: while hoping thats all it is]…just pointing out. maybe that’s the crack you heard. it happens at diff levels of warm. grimacing

2 Likes

I have a Maschine MK3, MPC1000, R8, Circuit, JAM. None of them make any noise, the pads are solid like a rock.
I think it depends on the design of the pads…
The noise/feeling itself is not necessarily an issue anyway for the MPC One. I prefer to wait and see if the things evolve from other user experiences…

the noise I hear on mine is from the case.

No way the whole case creaking while it heats up would have really concerned me. Mine was consistently in a specific place, some other people reside they had it in exactly the same place and others said nope completely silent. Must have been different production runs. Doesn’t bother some but it’s the sort of thing that drives me nuts

@DaGeek My maschine pads are impeccable and my 1k pads were rock solid and quiet too. Once I’d changed them from the dodgy OG pads that is anyway

It’s just that the circuit boards inside are mounted plastic-on-plastic, so as the ambient temperature changes, the screw-mounts squeak… Nothing to worry about. It’s the same reason why the pads creak and crack every now and then.

Hell, my MPC makes noises sitting idle. I’ve come to embrace it… It’s good company, having a ghost in the room, in the wee hours. :wink:

Cheers!

4 Likes

You’ve got some real love for the MPC if you don’t consider that flawed design.

See my reply two posts above…

I personally think you’ve overreacted, sending it back. Patience and ponderance. :wink:

Cheers!

Who said it wasn’t a design flaw?

Sure, a few rubber bushings might have solved the problem (if it can even be considered a problem per se). It’s just a noise. The MPC’s are build like a tank otherwise. Everything I tour with creaks and cracks to varying degrees, be it by design or from wear. Regardless, never has this so-called “flaw” disrupted a performance or impeded a production.

When it comes to choosing gear, I pick my battles carefully. If you’re returning your MPC just because the pads squeak occasionally, well… I think that’s a rash decision. For the record, I was mildly concerned when I first heard it, as you would be. After some casual examination of the issue, however, I figured out what was causing it, and never gave it another thought. MPC is holding up just fine.

Cheers!

P.S. I’m willing to bet a thousand-to-one that if you simply loosened all the screws a quarter turn the squeaking would stop altogether. This is a pretty typical oversight in the assembly of these kinds of products. Me, however, I remain unconcerned.

7 Likes

The crackling pads is not the only reason why I sent it back…

There are few subjective and objective issues that concerned me. I like the MPC One a LOT and probably I will buy it again.

The headphones jack is very loose - not a big issue but an issue

With the MPC in stop, I heard some high pitched noise from the headphones and from the outputs, something under -65db but definitively audible. The noise change when I switched screens, on the track mute page was the most audible. The connections: 2 midi cable, 2 jack input, 2 jack output, usb, mini usb keyboard, and 4x cv outs. I tried disconnecting something but without success.

I never been able to format a SD card from the MPC. Tried with different SD’s, preformatted on the mac, preformatted on the pc. One SD preformatted on the pc, after a format attempt from the mpc the SD was not recognized anymore on the pc, the pc was unable to format the SD, formatted on a mac.

Impossible to read the card from the USB-PC connection… c’mon!!!

No MIDI in/out from the USB-PC connection. really??

No MIDI filtering from the MIDI in cable, whaaaat??
To quickly solve this issue I had the midi in pass through the Analog Heat to receive only the clock signal.

General build quality is not stellar. For the selling price anyway should be acceptable.

There are also a lot of pros:
Sound quality is great
The workflow is smooth, fast, effective
The One is very deep, lot of features, almost everything is easily accessible.
The screen is great, useful, fast, responsive
The cv out are very usable
The form factor is perfect
Sampling, chopping, sample managing is excellent, incredible for a stand alone gear

If Akai will address some issues, I repeat, I will buy it again

there is a solution to the issues you described…

MPC Live :wink:

adding:

• once you get muscle memory for the shift+pads, its the same as the dedicated buttons
  • and cv solution…expert sleepers FH-2. you get 8 CV :+1:t6:
6 Likes

yep this is how I get stuff into Amadeus - Blackhole is a newer alternative to Soundflower that’s a bit more convenient

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=196579&view=unread#unread

Drum synth is going to be aces

2 Likes

Going to have to get another at some point. I now regret selling my Live, but happy to be using the Octatrack. I’d just like to access the alternate Mpc workflow when the mood takes me. Think I’ll either wait for the Live II or go the whole hog with an X.

I had an Akai MPC Live and just didn’t gel with it, mainly due to me comparing it to an MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL. Now that I think about it though, the Live was a really good device and I enjoyed having an internal battery. After a series of trades I now have a Rytm, but I am strongly considering getting the MPC One as a companion device. I love the MPC project heirarchy and the timestretching is an excellent addition over the classic MPCs. They largely nailed live audio looping as well, which is super handy to play guitar through. The strong possibility of a drum synth within the hardware is also tantalising.

1 Like