Akai MPC One [ Retired : Search for MPC Thread ]

The MPC X doesn’t have that weird coating. It’s just regular paint on aluminium and the red side parts is done with just regular paint on plastic.

1 Like

thank bejeebuz… wonder if it’ll get the retro schlack next, with some walnut sides that might look quite tasty

Did anyone had success controlling the MPC One via Midi CC? I would like to connect an external controller for Mutes (Pad and Track) and some Internal Synth Parameters.
I find it a bit complicated to change tracks and switch between Track- and Pad-Mute when performing.

Yes I have. Using a LaunchControl hooked up directly via USB. Setting it up was pretty easy and it definitely helps with controlling things. I believe midi cc assignments are specific to projects.

Thanks! Any hint how to find those assignments?

If you’re looking to midi control some of the global functions of the MPC One (eg assign midi controller to Q-Link etc), you’d have to use this workaround. I’ve posted about this in the MPC X/Live thread, I’ve tested this on my MPC Live and it works a treat.

Alternatively, if you want to control project specific midi elements (track mutes etc), use the MidiControl tab in the main menu of your MPC. Let me know if you need help with that.

And if your setup is permanent (ie you wanna map once and forget), you could save a project template with your mappings and then just use that as “User Template” when you load up a new project. (I haven’t tried this but should work)

Thanks a ton. I found the part, where you can see the Q-Link infos, and is said: Midi Channel 1 CC 100-116, but it didn’t work.
I might try the mappings from the link some times but I got the Midi Learn working, and am happy with that for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a way to set an lfo to a cv out channel. I’ve looked in the manual but the only thing I’ve picked up is that I might need to install the MPC software app?

I’m going to be using a Launch Control too. (when my One arrives)

I think using Novation Components you can configure the eight user presets on different MIDI channels. This will open up CC control hugely. I need to investigate this further but it should be easy to create some useful templates.

https://components.novationmusic.com/

No, but you can use the step sequencer to draw in CV values, I don’t know how fine resolution you want but I believe you can go down to the lowest TC division, although I just usually use 16ths, and add slew externally if needed.

1 Like

You can turn off the snap value to get the finest resolution, but it’s still hard to draw in reliable shapes (square waves are no problem, in fairness). I’d love to see an automation generator where you could tell it to create a triangle over 1 bar, or 32 per bar or whatever you need. I mean ideally, dedicated CC LFOs would be nice, but a generator would fit into the existing setup quite cleanly - it wouldn’t be too different to the random events feature.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Well, I got a reply from Akai about the midi sync issue, quite gobsmacked TBH.

“ We do not recommend using the MPC as a master clock to sync third party devices on its own, the clock will be jittery due to the lack of software buffer you get from a dedicated DAW and as such will fluctuate in MTC, to counter act this you could try adding 8 bars to the beginning of the song and adjust the offset in midi settings accordingly till it matches, this will still fluctuate occasionally but may manage the offset better, failing that use a computer to control the master clocking system.”

Kind of bummed out by this. Fortunately in the few days it took to get a response I found a way to work around it - just record long sections unsynced but at the right tempo, pretty ridiculous overall though that they can’t get something so basic working.

Edit: Also I was not asking them about MTC but midi clock, and I told them I was not using a DAW. Oh well.

When I first got the ONE, I found the sync quite sloppy with fluctuating delays etc, and so used the Digitone as master for a little while, but since then I’ve been using it as master with 11 external usb Elektrons/Synths etc… and it seems as good as the Elektrons to me in terms of jitter. I’m not sure why that changed, I presumed it was one of the updates. Perhaps I’m just not that sensitive to it. I do have a multi-transaction USB hub though, so perhaps that’s helped.

Other than that, disappointing response from Akai.

@Kosmology thanks which hub do you use? I think I will try using USB to see if it is better, I’d like to get a known working hub as I have seen some mention problems with certain hubs.

yes, it’s this one:

I also have a cheap non powered on one of the hubs ports. I’m thinking of getting another one of these to daisy chain though at some point.

I originally bought this instead of the elektron hub for Overbridge & 3 Elektrons because it was Multi Transactional like the Elektron hub. It’s been great.

1 Like

Incidentally seeing it’s out of stock, I just looked back and I paid £16.30 for it, there’s some wild prices out there searching now. Any other hub that says it’s MTT should be as good though, it basically means every port has full exclusive bandwidth instead of sharing with the others.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried matching the swing settings on the slave devices? In my experience, if slaving to an mpc, using the same swing on the slave seems to help.

Maybe BS, but seems to work for me.

1 Like

I don’t know what your question to Akai was, it seems to me they are answering a different question…

I think they are talking about delay compensation of each external instrument, like ableton live (and probably other daw’s) does. They are talking about software buffer and offset.
None of the hardware devices which send a midi clock out signal, have a software buffer.

Yeah very strange, initially I asked why audio tracks could not be recorded when MPC was slaved via midi clock, they asked me what gear and what settings I was using so I told them. I also mentioned that the MPC was jittering its midi clock when acting as master to the Roland MC-707, I told them that the MC-707 synced ok with other gear and that I had tried other stuff synced to MPC and they also had jitter.